Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Time to move on...?

Advertise your BIKES and PARTS here

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Time to move on...?

#1 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:12 pm

Guys

I've been fortunate enough over the years to have the bikes I've always wanted. I've had quite a variety in my time. I have yet to have a two-stroke, so I've got an itch to buy a mint, matching numbers, genuine 4LO RD350LC. I haven't got the funds (or garage space) to buy one outright so the mighty Z1R needs to go to pastures new.

I'm looking for £7450 firm. Its a very solid 78 Z1R, 43k miles with a current MoT. (No tax or MOT to obtain from next year!)

In my tenure its had:
AP front calipers and brackets, braided lines, GSXR1000 master cylinder
New stanchions, 8.5kg fork springs, Racetech Gold Valves
Flatter handlebars, Superbike grips
New switchgear, modern regulator-rectifier, Dyna Ignition, Taylor leads, Iridium plugs, complete rewire, Motobatt battery
Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust
APE Oil Breather and Pingel catch tank
Keihin 29mm CR Special Carbs (airbox removed) with fast action throttle and Pingel tap
Bulldock tail tidy
Moto Martin swing arm
Ohlins KA147 Streetline shocks
AP rear caliper with PMC Underslung caliper kit
PMC extended tail cowl kit
Complete Flying Tiger paintwork
Tarozzi Rearsets
530 chain conversion
PMC Easy-Clutch

The engine is standard and runs / performs well. Its had a recent oil / filter change.

In an ideal world, I'd like to swap for a mint 4LO RD350LC with matching numbers or a decent RD500LC / RG500 with +/- cash either way.

I'm a bit busy for a couple of weeks but if you want a look or to call for a chat just PM me.

Fred
Fred%25202309201.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paid Up Member

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Time to move on...?

#2 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:31 am

I like that a lot :D

chrisu

#3 PostAuthor: chrisu » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:26 pm

me too............

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: garyd » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:38 pm

Fred, you are suffereing from something...go to bed and formulate a plan to keep the Zed and Buy a stinkwheel....it's the only way you'll stay sane.

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:43 pm

garyd wrote:Fred, you are suffereing from something...go to bed and formulate a plan to keep the Zed and Buy a stinkwheel....it's the only way you'll stay sane.

+1

You'll miss that when it's gone. :cry: :cry:

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

Haggler
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: Haggler » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:44 pm

I like LCs (And 2 strokes in general) don't get me wrong but I wouldn't part with that to get one, just my opinion :wink:

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:02 pm

Haggler wrote:I like LCs (And 2 strokes in general) don't get me wrong but I wouldn't part with that to get one, just my opinion :wink:

I'd think most of us of a certain age will have an itch for another oil burner at some point. There's not a lot that reminds us more of the days when we had hair and a Waistline than a good lung full of 2T smoke.

I sold a truly fantastic Z1B a few years ago to scratch my 2-Stroke itch and bought a H2, and while the big triple with all it's little Quirks wasn't a patch on the Big Zed as an actual 'Motorcycle', it had a charm and exhaust note that no other bike of the period could match.

Lets be honest if we bought these bikes with our heads, we'd all be riding round on those Souless German green lane thingies that have all the aesthetic appeal of a 60's Comprehensive school.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:27 pm

I know, I know. It is a beaut, but if you love something you need to set it free.

In an ideal world, I would absolutely keep it but I've not got the space or funds. I've not been without a bike since I was 17, some 36 years in total. I've had lots of different bikes, some great, some not so much and the mighty Z1R is up there with the best. Not because its the fastest - its definitely not, not because it's the most beautiful - that's in the eye of the beholder (though it is a handsome brute), not because its the quirkiest - its a UJM, not because it makes me want to race again - I'm no Graeme Crosby and definitely not because I'm in it for a quick buck - it owes me lots, but just because its a bike I've wanted since I first clapped my eyes on one as a teenager.

I've now done that and have enjoyed restoring it, not to meet concours standards or to please the rivet counters but to make it work the best it can do. It now stops and handles far better than 99% of air-cooled Zeds of that era and I feel like I've achieved something. It's great experiencing the fruits of your labours.

I've always been on a motorcycling journey. I've owned bikes for commuting, I've owned bikes for touring, I've owned bikes for speed, for handling and for racing. I've owned parallel twins, V-twins, a triple, 4 pot air cooled, 4 pot water cooled, 125's, 250's, 400's 600's, 650's, 750's 800's, 900's 1000's and 1100's and I'm currently restoring a big single... the only thing that's missing is a six pot, a turbo and a two-stroke. (I've thought very long and hard about turbo-ing this bike). Six pots are probably beyond my reach now but I simply must experience a good two stroke before I'm too old or they get legislated into the annals of history for ever.

The price quoted is pitched as a tribute to those on the Z1OC who've helped me out with the benefit of their wisdom, experience and wit over the years. If there's no takers then I'll pitch it to the wider market and the price quoted will be a reserve and the asking price a fair bit higher.

I hope you understand.

Fred
Paid Up Member

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:34 pm

Garry.L wrote:
Haggler wrote:I like LCs (And 2 strokes in general) don't get me wrong but I wouldn't part with that to get one, just my opinion :wink:

I'd think most of us of a certain age will have an itch for another oil burner at some point. There's not a lot that reminds us more of the days when we had hair and a Waistline than a good lung full of 2T smoke.

I sold a truly fantastic Z1B a few years ago to scratch my 2-Stroke itch and bought a H2, and while the big triple with all it's little Quirks wasn't a patch on the Big Zed as an actual 'Motorcycle', it had a charm and exhaust note that no other bike of the period could match.

Lets be honest if we bought these bikes with our heads, we'd all be riding round on those Souless German green lane thingies that have all the aesthetic appeal of a 60's Comprehensive school.

Yep - that's just about spot on Garry.
Paid Up Member

Haggler
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: Haggler » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:36 pm

Garry.L wrote:

I understand your predicament but just felt compelled to chuck in my 2 penneth (No disrespect intended)
Just put my GS into the side of an astra (bike and rider A OK but astra not looking pretty)
For the record here's my Kettle (just to prove I'm not anti stink wheelers)

sanderz
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#11 PostAuthor: sanderz » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Fred the Zed wrote:
I've thought very long and hard about turbo-ing this bike
Fred

.........recon that's the route to be taking with that beauty of yours.
Wots up DOHC

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#12 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:44 pm

sanderz wrote:
Fred the Zed wrote:
I've thought very long and hard about turbo-ing this bike
Fred

.........recon that's the route to be taking with that beauty of yours.

Nice one Sanderz
Its not the turbo kit that's overly expensive (although the exchange rate is not great at the moment)... it's the forged low compression pistons, the extra cooling that's needed, its getting the head flowed and thinking about getting the crank welded. It would be nice to do though!
Fred
Paid Up Member

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#13 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:46 pm

Haggler wrote:
Garry.L wrote:

I understand your predicament but just felt compelled to chuck in my 2 penneth (No disrespect intended)
Just put my GS into the side of an astra (bike and rider A OK but astra not looking pretty)
For the record here's my Kettle (just to prove I'm not anti stink wheelers)

Hey Haggler.. no offence taken. Nice Kettle BTW.

Fred
Paid Up Member

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#14 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:59 am

Fred the Zed wrote:
Hey Haggler.. no offence taken. Nice Kettle BTW.

Fred

Likewise. And the Kettle is another example of those 70's icons we've lusted after. :D
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

G
100Club
100Club

#15 PostAuthor: G » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:38 am

Really nice Z 1R and Kettle.
This thread resonates with me quite a bit and I can really appreciate the dilemma Fred has.
I actually part exed a gt750B in that colour for a Z1R back in the day so have an affinity to both. However the one I couldn't get was a z900 a4 hence sourcing one and restoring.
Fred has addressed all the weaknesses I recall from the Z in particular the brakes which were shocking in complete contrast to the Gt 750 .
Cant really help other than say go with your heart .Whatever you end up with will be a good place to be and your money should be safe.
All the Best G

p.s. the exhaust on the kettle looks really good in black goes with black side panel nicely.

Return to “For Sale”