Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

rearset footpegs

Advertise your BIKES and PARTS here

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

ChrisB
100Club
100Club

rearset footpegs

#1 PostAuthor: ChrisB » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:01 pm

Hello all.
I've been building a 'special' during lockdown but wasn't wanting to pay around £6-700 for japanese rearsets so have been designing some for myself on the 3D printer. Now I have them pretty much as I want them I'm talking to a few CNC machining firms to have them made.
Since the cost for one set is going to be ridiculous, I thought I'd gauge opinion on ordering several sets.
Without going into too much detail, I've designed these to accept readily available folding pegs and have mocked these up with whatever I had to hand. If there is a demand for them, I'll firm up an exact spec and can produce a ready to fit set, or just supply the levers, brackets and advice for you to assemble your own.
So, what do you think?
Chris.

IMG_3241.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KWACKERZ1
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: rearset footpegs

#2 PostAuthor: KWACKERZ1 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:00 pm

Very clever stuff, love the brake side Not so sure about the gear leaver with its tall mounting bracket it does not look right IMHO.
Good work though would be in interested in the cost of the brackets themselves.

chrisNI
Site Admin

#3 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:02 pm

You’ve done a good job on those - I guess on a 900 you have to put the m/c somewhere, on a 1000 you can touch it in where the original was behind the side panel...

ChrisB
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: ChrisB » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:58 pm

I'm with you on the long gear lever part. My first thinking was to cant the top of it in over the frame bracket to keep it out of the way of the inside of your boot, hence the height. I think the finished item will be about half as high so that the link rod runs alongside the frame bracket.
Regarding the mounting of the master cylinder, my intention was to free up the space behind the side panel for my electrics, rear shock remote reservoir, etc on my Z1000 as it has been mono-shocked. Also solved the Z900 problem.
I expect these would only be of interest to builders of modified zed's and i'm attempting to design a set which can work on 900's and 1000's. They may have a broader appeal if I made the reservoir mounting separate and bolted on so you could use it or discard it.
Thanks for the input guys. Appreciated.
As yet the CNC shops haven't come back with any prices so I'm still clueless as to how much they're going to cost but I'll post as soon as I know.

Hobbo
International Rep

#5 PostAuthor: Hobbo » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:55 am

Looking cool do they use the original rear brake light switch ie the long spring on z1000 ????

Phil
Never Dull in Hull Watch no 31

International Rep

ChrisB
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: ChrisB » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:05 pm

Hello Phil, thanks.
No, for simplicity I've used a pressure switch. There is a tang coming off the inside of the brake lever which passes under the backing plate, used as a return spring locator and height adjuster which could be used to pull the standard brake light switch.
I should have some costings back in the coming days, but this may now be after Christmas / New Year.

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:46 pm

I'd be interested in a set.
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

Swirl
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: Swirl » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:53 pm

Interested in a price and spec :D

ChrisB
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: ChrisB » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:39 pm

A brief update for anyone interested.
I've sent files to a number of CNC firms in the UK, Germany and China and am getting some answers and some questions back. I'm just refining what I expect will be the finished designs now.
I'm still open to constructive criticism on here so feel free.
At the moment i'm tending towards a black hard anodised finish. The gear rod actuator piece will be much reduced in height (thanks KwackerZ1), the scalloping out will be radiused in the corners. There can be a choice of footpegs depending on whether people want folding (in which case secondhand japanese stock parts seems an option as in the photos) or fixed. Either way, kickstarting won't be an option.
I should hopefully have an idea on cost as well as some more 3D models in about a week.

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:28 pm

Very interested for a set. :D :D :D
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#11 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:30 pm

Im fairly interested too!

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:25 am

My advice is to avoid China as they very likely will just copy your design and sell them for way less than you will.
10 years ago I put some designs out to Chinese companies for a product we were going to make and within weeks we saw the product for sale. They just ripped it off. And when we asked them about that they said they had and didn't care..
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#13 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:56 am

Any news on these yet?

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

#14 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:29 am

Ultim8pc wrote:My advice is to avoid China as they very likely will just copy your design and sell them for way less than you will.
10 years ago I put some designs out to Chinese companies for a product we were going to make and within weeks we saw the product for sale. They just ripped it off. And when we asked them about that they said they had and didn't care..

+1 on that. Shipping prices have gone through the roof too. Leaving patriotism out of it, I'd be very inclined to use a uk supplier at the moment as supply chains are all to fu**.

Olly
'In your twenties you think you are immortal, in your thirties you hope you are immortal, in your forties you just hope it doesn't hurt too much'

Lemmy

ChrisB
100Club
100Club

#15 PostAuthor: ChrisB » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:26 pm

Update coming soon.
Having taken on board your comments, I've made a few tweaks and will be re-sending the files to the manufacturers. I've found a company in Germany who seem good.
Watch this space.
Chris.

Return to “For Sale”