Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Health Warning: you never know what's round the corner.....

Talk about all your non-Zed or even Kawasaki bikes here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Message
Author
johny brando
100Club
100Club
Posts: 299
Joined: 3rd Aug 2013
Location: Australia

Re: Health Warning: you never know what's round the corner.....

#16 PostAuthor: johny brando » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:32 pm

I rarely step outside the 'Bike Help' folder /forum ...hence this delayed response here. Your post is a wake up call for a lot of us...guess a lot of us in ignorance think it won't happen to me = WRONG ! Really glad you came out the other side in the condition you did & that a full recovery is likely . Glad too that you have family around to support you through your recovery period & that your intention is to pick up where you left off ( Good Man ) All the best on your journey back to the life you enjoy.

User avatar
Andrew_s
Custard Cream
Custard Cream
Posts: 699
Joined: 5th Dec 2016
Location: Farnham, Surrey

Re: Health Warning: you never know what's round the corner.....

#17 PostAuthor: Andrew_s » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:29 am

Thanks, and it was good catch up with many folk at Stafford, even though I didn't stay long - recovery is going well and I'm hoping to start a phased return to work in January - driving and riding will have to wait until early July 20, but at least I will be able to.
Bikes:
Phil Churchett's old Z900 A4: PRE 2R - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115740825@N05/albums/72157680116996884
1970 CB750 K1
Cars: 1958 Triumph TR3A, 1972 Triumph TR6
Previous Zeds: Z750B1 Twin, Z650B1, Z750E

User avatar
ollie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream
Posts: 669
Joined: 13th Sep 2002
Location: north yorkshire

Re: Health Warning: you never know what's round the corner.....

#18 PostAuthor: ollie » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:45 pm

winters here Andrew ,so you can rest and take your time ,wishing you a great recovery my friend :up :wink
zedsrus:"i don't know man ,i just got here myself !!"

User avatar
Andrew_s
Custard Cream
Custard Cream
Posts: 699
Joined: 5th Dec 2016
Location: Farnham, Surrey

Re: Health Warning: you never know what's round the corner.....

#19 PostAuthor: Andrew_s » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:50 am

ollie wrote:winters here Andrew ,so you can rest and take your time ,wishing you a great recovery my friend :up :wink

:up Thanks Ollie, appreciate your post - I'm looking forward to Christmas with family and friends and now the weather has turned it should be too wet and cold to miss riding and driving, but I do.

Cheers,
Andrew
Bikes:
Phil Churchett's old Z900 A4: PRE 2R - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115740825@N05/albums/72157680116996884
1970 CB750 K1
Cars: 1958 Triumph TR3A, 1972 Triumph TR6
Previous Zeds: Z750B1 Twin, Z650B1, Z750E

User avatar
Gonzo
Custard Cream
Custard Cream
Posts: 510
Joined: 27th Mar 2017
Location: Surrey / Hants border

Re: Health Warning: you never know what's round the corner.....

#20 PostAuthor: Gonzo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:49 am

Jeez Andrew, I've only just seen this post (I rarely look at the bottom of the forum) so am shocked to hear your now old news.
As others have already said, I hope your recovery is complete or as close to it as possible and that well see you on the Big Zed again next summer.

All the best

Steve
1978 Z1000A2
Previous Zeds:
1975 Z1B
1982 Z650F3

User avatar
Mark Tiller
Area Rep.
Area Rep.
Posts: 1251
Joined: 12th Jun 2011
Location: Amersham

Re: Health Warning: you never know what's round the corner.....

#21 PostAuthor: Mark Tiller » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:08 pm

all the best for the recovery, hope you are back on the road soon
07962421462

User avatar
Andrew_s
Custard Cream
Custard Cream
Posts: 699
Joined: 5th Dec 2016
Location: Farnham, Surrey

Re: Health Warning: you never know what's round the corner.....

#22 PostAuthor: Andrew_s » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:32 pm

Steve, Mark - thanks for your best wishes, appreciated.

I'm pleased with my recovery and now looking forward to Christmas and a gradual return to work sometime in January.

Sad I know, but been riding the Z900 down my drive, killing the engine, getting off, turning it round and then riding back up, just to help keep the wheels turning - Steve, you know how steep my drive is so I'm hopeful it will start again at the bottom......don't fancy another stroke pushing 500+lbs of Kawasaki 60' up hill! :shock:

Cheers, Andrew
Bikes:
Phil Churchett's old Z900 A4: PRE 2R - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115740825@N05/albums/72157680116996884
1970 CB750 K1
Cars: 1958 Triumph TR3A, 1972 Triumph TR6
Previous Zeds: Z750B1 Twin, Z650B1, Z750E

User avatar
Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore
Posts: 5470
Joined: 16th Dec 2008
Location: In the Dark.
Contact:

Re: Health Warning: you never know what's round the corner.....

#23 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:00 pm

Andrew,

It was good to meet you again at Stafford this year, Until you told me, I didn't realise what had happened.

It would have been easy to keep things to yourself, but by sharing it, you just may have saved someone else. :up
Image

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

User avatar
Andrew_s
Custard Cream
Custard Cream
Posts: 699
Joined: 5th Dec 2016
Location: Farnham, Surrey

Re: Health Warning: you never know what's round the corner.....

#24 PostAuthor: Andrew_s » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:46 am

Ginger Bear wrote:Andrew,
It was good to meet you again at Stafford this year, Until you told me, I didn't realise what had happened.
It would have been easy to keep things to yourself, but by sharing it, you just may have saved someone else. :up

Thanks Steve, I think it's important to be open about these things, because it may just jog someone's memory if they experience similar symptoms.

I was very grateful to my good mate 'Dangerous Dave' for diving me up to Stafford and although we didn't stay long it was good to be there, walk about and catch-up with you and the other guys on the club stand.

Although it was a scary time in hospital and for some time afterwards, but I am very lucky there is no lasting physical damage. I passed the second part of my eye test last week, as I did have disrupted vision and a loss of peripheral vision in my left eye - all of which has returned. So that's a tick in the box towards getting my licence back in July. :)

I do have issues processing info sometimes and occasionally find myself searching for words and saying the wrong thing. The CT scan taken at the time showed a blot clot to the right side of my brain; the dark grey blobs are the dead brain cells - many would argue they've been dead for years! :lol: But the brain is an amazing thing and the left side finds differents pathways for processing info etc.
a1712802-35d9-4ec5-8bb1-2731dc645b7a.JPG

On a lighter note, my wife Bev hates my son wearing his cap backwards, so he plonked it on her head in hospital and quickly took a photo. But something tells me he wasn't really taking her photo, but of Yasmine, the lovely young consultant who was looking after me...... :oh
ace11609-ea85-4a76-a606-3b9d97937750aa.jpg


Cheers,
Andrew
Bikes:
Phil Churchett's old Z900 A4: PRE 2R - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115740825@N05/albums/72157680116996884
1970 CB750 K1
Cars: 1958 Triumph TR3A, 1972 Triumph TR6
Previous Zeds: Z750B1 Twin, Z650B1, Z750E

User avatar
Savage
100Club
100Club
Posts: 116
Joined: 20th Jan 2018
Location: Soton

Re: Health Warning: you never know what's round the corner.....

#25 PostAuthor: Savage » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:34 pm

Andrew_s wrote:
Ginger Bear wrote:Andrew,
It was good to meet you again at Stafford this year, Until you told me, I didn't realise what had happened.
It would have been easy to keep things to yourself, but by sharing it, you just may have saved someone else. :up

Thanks Steve, I think it's important to be open about these things, because it may just jog someone's memory if they experience similar symptoms.

I was very grateful to my good mate 'Dangerous Dave' for diving me up to Stafford and although we didn't stay long it was good to be there, walk about and catch-up with you and the other guys on the club stand.

Although it was a scary time in hospital and for some time afterwards, but I am very lucky there is no lasting physical damage. I passed the second part of my eye test last week, as I did have disrupted vision and a loss of peripheral vision in my left eye - all of which has returned. So that's a tick in the box towards getting my licence back in July. :)

I do have issues processing info sometimes and occasionally find myself searching for words and saying the wrong thing. The CT scan taken at the time showed a blot clot to the right side of my brain; the dark grey blobs are the dead brain cells - many would argue they've been dead for years! :lol: But the brain is an amazing thing and the left side finds differents pathways for processing info etc.


Cheers,
Andrew



A Doctor told me lots of people are walking around with no idea they've had an infarct, it's only when they have a scan.

Glad you have some good folk looking after you.
1121

User avatar
Andrew_s
Custard Cream
Custard Cream
Posts: 699
Joined: 5th Dec 2016
Location: Farnham, Surrey

Re: Health Warning: you never know what's round the corner.....

#26 PostAuthor: Andrew_s » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:53 pm

Savage wrote:A Doctor told me lots of people are walking around with no idea they've had an infarct, it's only when they have a scan.
Glad you have some good folk looking after you.

Thanks. I was told that too, but finding out at the CT stage is too late for some who ignore the symptoms completely.
Bikes:
Phil Churchett's old Z900 A4: PRE 2R - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115740825@N05/albums/72157680116996884
1970 CB750 K1
Cars: 1958 Triumph TR3A, 1972 Triumph TR6
Previous Zeds: Z750B1 Twin, Z650B1, Z750E

User avatar
Savage
100Club
100Club
Posts: 116
Joined: 20th Jan 2018
Location: Soton

Re: Health Warning: you never know what's round the corner.....

#27 PostAuthor: Savage » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:20 pm

Andrew_s wrote:
Savage wrote:A Doctor told me lots of people are walking around with no idea they've had an infarct, it's only when they have a scan.
Glad you have some good folk looking after you.

Thanks. I was told that too, but finding out at the CT stage is too late for some who ignore the symptoms completely.


Yes, (I wasn't referring to yours as you had a more severe issue), the Doc just made me realise that many have small infarctions and may even miss the symptoms and the brain adjusts. She told me that years later people have a scan and understand why at some point they struggled with something - speech or coordination.
1121

User avatar
ollie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream
Posts: 669
Joined: 13th Sep 2002
Location: north yorkshire

Re: Health Warning: you never know what's round the corner.....

#28 PostAuthor: ollie » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:10 pm

So glad that you are well on your way now Andrew ,funnily enough my step mum who lives in Australia now ,has lived with an erratic heart beat most of her life . She had a bit of a turn last year .Anyway while she there she had a scan etc ,and it revealed she had 2 tiny scars on her brain ,she knew nothing at all about it .Just goes to show about whats round that corner !!! enjoy your Christmas my friend :wink
zedsrus:"i don't know man ,i just got here myself !!"

User avatar
Andrew_s
Custard Cream
Custard Cream
Posts: 699
Joined: 5th Dec 2016
Location: Farnham, Surrey

Re: Health Warning: you never know what's round the corner.....

#29 PostAuthor: Andrew_s » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:52 pm

ollie wrote:So glad that you are well on your way now Andrew ,funnily enough my step mum who lives in Australia now ,has lived with an erratic heart beat most of her life . She had a bit of a turn last year .Anyway while she there she had a scan etc ,and it revealed she had 2 tiny scars on her brain ,she knew nothing at all about it .Just goes to show about whats round that corner !!! enjoy your Christmas my friend :wink

Thanks Ollie,
Yes, we never know what's round the corner and if did we maybe we wouldn't go round it - have a good Crimbo too.
Cheers,
Andrew
Bikes:
Phil Churchett's old Z900 A4: PRE 2R - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115740825@N05/albums/72157680116996884
1970 CB750 K1
Cars: 1958 Triumph TR3A, 1972 Triumph TR6
Previous Zeds: Z750B1 Twin, Z650B1, Z750E


Return to “The Bottom Shed”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests