Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

H2's Sympathetic Resto

Talk about all your non-Zed or even Kawasaki bikes here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

DogsbolloxofZ1B
Hardcore
Hardcore

H2's Sympathetic Resto

#1 PostAuthor: DogsbolloxofZ1B » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:17 pm

I'm gonna be restoring an H2 for a M8, what I know abut H2's you could fit on a postage stamp.
Anyone on here willing to talk through the pitfalls? What do I need to pay particular attention on the engine.

PM or call Mike on 07515 367071

Cheers. :D

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:47 pm

1st job to get done when the engine is stripped is to get the crank re conditioned. you might have trouble removing the cylinders. common problem. check the primary drive gear on the back of the clutch basket for excessive movement. gear selector forks for wear + replace gearbox bearings + obviously the condition of the bore. pretty simple engine to work on. most expensive bits to replace are the crank + clutch basket

tricky
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: tricky » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:31 pm

hi dogs, had a few triples over the years, but only had 3 750's, and everyone you speak to will have there own opinions on stuff.
what type of resto are you doing, back to toataly standard standard for shows, or a good reprisentation and some thing your mate will use?
a lot of stuff for these bikes is expensive, chroming for example, and paint work for another, unless you can paint it yourself, respoking and rebuilding the wheels can also turn out expensive, unless again you have the knowhow to do it yourself.
engine wise depends what he wants to do, and his way of thinking, to me the heart of these engines is the crank, if i was doing any motor rebuild on a 750, the crank would be sent off to chris ritchie from the triples club to be checked over, and any worn parts replaced, but some folk would take the gamble and put £350 quids worth of new wiseco pistons and £75 quids worth of rebore on a 30 odd year old unknown crank and go for it.
the other thing that can go is the gear selector forks, but i think rb can get new ones now.
go carefull on the oil pump banjo bolts as they strip easy, engine timing is another thing, theres three of everything to set up, get a hold of a glens or a genuine manual, and do it with a dial guage down the plug hole before you strobe each set of timing marks, also worth doing, is taping and marking any ignition wiring you undo and take lots of pics with a digy camera, good guys on here for triples help are, malc87 rick brett, and kas 750 i have met all of them and they are sound.

DogsbolloxofZ1B
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: DogsbolloxofZ1B » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:23 pm

Tricky & Z1Bman,
Thanks for the tips. I've restored dozens of Z1's to mint so familiar with the things you mention. My M8 bought this H2 off ebay but as yet I've not seen any images or even know what model he's ended up with. More worrying is he doesn't even know if its a runner... Must have been a sat eve bid after a few beers.

I'll pay particular attention to the points you mentioned.

Cheers,
Mike :D

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: z1bman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:07 pm

what standard are you going to rebuild? i am in the process of restoring a 500h1b for a friend .he purchased the bike from e bay some 18months ago for £3250 the bike had been painted + frame + other parts powder coated but did not run. only bad parts where the exhausts but we could have got them repaired + re chromed but at a cost of £1200. so decided to order some higgspeeds instead . i have receipts for parts that i have purchased through various sellers at a cost of £2800 the bike is now well on its way to completion. the z1b which i restored a couple of years back cost £8000 including the purchase of the bike for £1800. i have seen plenty good restored examples of his h1 for sale ready to show/ride for under £6000 so some times it makes more sense financially to buy one already restored. i hope your friend knows what he is letting himself in for

DogsbolloxofZ1B
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: DogsbolloxofZ1B » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:34 pm

The rebuild wont be to concours standard he just wants a clean reliable bike, he's budgeted circa £6K max for a total strip, paint & rebuild using as many of the original parts as possible.
Unless he's bought a real dog we should be OK.

Mike

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: z1bman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:43 pm

do you know how much he has paid for it

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#8 PostAuthor: paul doran » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:42 am

Mike are You going over to the dark side :roll:
way too many Zeds

DogsbolloxofZ1B
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: DogsbolloxofZ1B » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:28 pm

paul doran wrote:Mike are You going over to the dark side :roll:

Paul,
Maybe :P I do fancy a GT750

coldsummer
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: coldsummer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:05 pm

Oh dear, sort yourself out Mike. If you want a new kettle then go down to Argos.

RogerJ
100Club
100Club

#11 PostAuthor: RogerJ » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:16 pm

paul doran wrote:Mike are You going over to the dark side :roll:

If you are going over to the dark side, enjoy the canteen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw
Roger

Ex Fat Rabbit

DogsbolloxofZ1B
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: DogsbolloxofZ1B » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:56 pm

:D :D :D

Return to “The Bottom Shed”