Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

BMW K100RS

Talk about all your non-Zed or even Kawasaki bikes here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

uk kev
ZedHead
ZedHead

BMW K100RS

#1 PostAuthor: uk kev » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:28 pm

As you may have seen in the Eurojumble post, I bought a new bike while there, well it was delivered today, so my first chance to really get to see what I bought, and as you can see it is a stunner.
Sure there a couple of small items that will need sorting, Rear indicators, weeping master cylinder, being the most urgent at this time, it also smokes quite badly when it starts, but that soon dissapears when warm, I have heard this is quite common though, although I am not sure to what extent.

I intend to to get it booked into the garage though, and get them to give it the once over, just to be sure all is well. They can also fit a new seal set to the master cylinder while it is there.

Also there was a surprise in the storage area, Tool kit, new disk lock, new cable lock, and the service pack. :ed

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:21 pm

we used to be a bmw franchise when i was at cradley up until about 2001 when bmw wanted us to be a solus dealer. the k series engine that is in your rs where prone to smoking on start up especially if left on the side stand but cleared when engine was warm nothing to be concerned about. bmw don't do a repair kit for the master cylinder on the abs model only the rubber seal + o ring for reservoir . james sherlock in barnstable is very good for bmw parts new + used + he does a repair kit for the callipers + the master cylinder

chrisu

#3 PostAuthor: chrisu » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:37 pm

yup - i remember seeing newish K100s doing that back in 93............

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#4 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:59 pm

Yep, she cleaned up well matey :wink:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:48 pm

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#6 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:17 pm

Don't buff it tooooooo much Kev :??

And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Taffus

#7 PostAuthor: Taffus » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:34 pm

There's 2 of you now!
Bowdler has one! (swansea rep )

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:36 pm

KEV i couldn't praise this bike enough the engine is virtually unbreakable .
a friend of mine bought an ex demo bike from the place i worked it was a G plated bike + he covered 234.000 miles in the 5 years he owned the bike + it was ridden every day 7 days a week. i fitted new rings + cam chain at 160.000 miles new clutch at 180.000 miles + this was only replaced as the rear crank seal was leaking oil over his garage floor but was not slipping but was replaced while the gearbox was removed. rear shock was replaced twice + the rear pivot bearings in the bevel casing where replaced a couple of times due to the high load that is put on such a small bearing. front brake disc rattle is common + can be rectified by changing the rollers in the discs . only changed the front wheel bearings once. he was regularly going to the piranese handling wise this is a very planted bike + will go wherever you point it . that is when you get used to it

steve bowdler
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#9 PostAuthor: steve bowdler » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:55 pm

The top piston rings are not pinned therefore when on side stand oil seeps past , then on start up it blows smoke , as every one has said nowt to be worried about Been on the look out for a belly pan for mine .

Heard this guy is pretty good

http://www.boxerman.co.uk/

http://www.boxerman.co.uk/kseries.htm

Yellow
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: Yellow » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:41 pm

Kev.
I have a 85 K100 with standard rear indicators in good nick, would do a swap for the ones you have. Will be at Stafford if interested.

Cheers Paddy.

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:50 pm

I have a K100 cylinder head :D

Fitted to a A series engine with a bit of a turbo on the side!

Just trial fitting it into thiis at the moment. Just for testing.

Then it will be fitted to this :D Called it "Special K" bit wanky I know but could not think of anything else at the time!

Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

uk kev
ZedHead
ZedHead

#12 PostAuthor: uk kev » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:51 am

Yellow wrote:Kev.
I have a 85 K100 with standard rear indicators in good nick, would do a swap for the ones you have. Will be at Stafford if interested.

Cheers Paddy.

Ok Paddy, I shall put your name on them...

uk kev
ZedHead
ZedHead

Update

#13 PostAuthor: uk kev » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:53 am

Today I once again pulled the bike out of the lock up, the master cylinder is weeping quite badly, I pre-empted this by wrapping some cloth around the master cylinder and brake leaver, so none of the brake fluid has reached the painted area of the tank or fairing. I need to look at how you get the assembly apart, and get the leaver off, ready to do a rebuild, any help in this from those who have done it would be nice.

Next I added some redex to the fuel in the tank, to give the injector system a clean up, and here I have some good news, on starting the bike this time I had NO smoke, so maybe the initial smoking was caused by the long term standing, maybe the original owner oiled the bores before laying the bike up, who knows, but it only had a light whisp of smoke from where I used the choke to start the bike once warm it ran clean.

My next job of the morning was to try to remove the loose fitting belly pan, this turned into a full on job, as someone had managed to cross thread one of the four outer mounting bolts, ripping away the pressed in nutsert from the mounting frame. After an enormous amount of swearing, I manged to drop the frame with the belly pan attached, and was finally able to get the bolt out of the loose nutsert. I shall have a new nut welded on the frame this week, I will also get a spot of weld attached to the other nutserts. But at least while this was all free I was able to degrease and clean the motor in this area.

So that is my update for this week, just a couple of pictures to finish off with, My K100 and Z1b.

:wink:

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#14 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:55 pm

to remove the front master cylinder remove the screw from the r/h switch remove the switch + there is a 5mm allen bolt securing the master cylinder to the handle bar. the piston is secured by a 3mm allen bolt on the underside of the master cylinder if the piston is stuck when you remove the allen bolt blank the fluid holes with your finger + blow compresed air through the brake hose mounting hole . remember bmw do not do a repair kit for ABS you will have to go to james sherlock he does an excellent next day service

Return to “The Bottom Shed”