Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

One way to get the lad off the bloody computer

Talk about all your non-Zed or even Kawasaki bikes here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#16 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:08 am

Well Cool :twisted:

I keep looking at 90's with a diesel lump, but prices are so stupid! Also, I can't really justify having a Landy just to "play about with" as the extra Tax & Insurance alone, is gonna be near £500/yr :shock:

Keep up the good work chaps.
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#17 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:38 am

Great morning, did what we wanted to do and that was get it down to the bare chassis, the only thing we didn't attempt was taking the steering box thingy off.

I'll do a search on the best way to remove the steering box thingy and have a look in the workshop manual, once that's off it will be blasted and sent off for repair!

Heres some pictures.

Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#18 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:54 pm

Good morning on the landy yesterday!
Took the springs off the axels, the threads were damaged so ended up with the grinder and cutting disc. Got the 2nd engine on the stand ready to strip over Christmas, going to use all the bits from the first engine and then strip the 1st engine just to see what we have in good condition.
Everything is now off the chassis apart from the steering relay which is now being soaked with penetrating oil, that's a job for next weekend!

Pictures below as I know you all like pictures!

Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#19 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:33 pm

That chassis took a bit of whack to crack it like that, a good welder will sort it out though, that will certainly keep you both away from the tv.

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#20 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:40 pm

Back to it after the Christmas break!

Got into the engine and was surprised to the find the internals in such good condition, what do you lot think?

I don't think this engine has done a lot of work!

Next job is to send the block away to be acid dipped to get all the rust out of the water jackets.

Last edited by Is Vic There on Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#21 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:57 pm

looks like the engine has been re built previously with it being in such good condition

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#22 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:48 pm

Little bit of an update!
The block has been send away, parts have now been ordered and we just have to wait now!
The bulkhead has been completed and ready to collect, they also have the chassis as well so I'll pick them both up at the same time!

Things are starting to happen!

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#23 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:17 am

All the bad bits have been cut out, amazed at all the dirt that had collected over the years.
The dodgy front has been cut out and repaired very happy with the results.

Now for some pictures :D

Last edited by Is Vic There on Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#24 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:23 am

Got some pictures of the finished chassis really happy with the results, opted for a new rear end as the one that was fitted wasn't the right one for the year!

Collecting it in the morning and then its getting dropped off to a mate who runs a truck painting business who will re blast it and paint it in the same stuff as the paint the chassis for trucks that work in the mines!

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#25 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:47 pm

Just a quick up date!

The chassis is at a mates, just been re blasted and now being painted, the paint and primer his is using has a 52 year warranty and is use for under ground civil works!

Waiting for engine parts so the engine machine shop can work their magic, the fire wall is back and just need paint, that will be in quite a few months.

Yesterday we gave the axles a good clean and stripped the brakes, next week we will strip them so they can also go for paint.

Hopefully the swivel joints are ok, might have to get them re-chromed?

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#26 PostAuthor: Al » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:03 pm

Looking at this puts me in mind of a period when i used to repair land rovers etc. for the military.
We used to do the ones that had 'gone in'. Meaning the parachutes hadn't opened.
Usually the complete thing was little taller than knee high.
We got the FFR (fitted for radio) ones and the ambulances as for them there was no upper limit to the budget.
Also did a pallet load (4 or 6 i think) that had been dropped onto the concrete docks at Southampton whilst being transported to Somalia for operation Gabriel.
I hope he appreciates whats being done in his honour!!

AL
1981 J1

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#27 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:59 am

Both engines I have use to be Army, they have the double pulley to drive the generator for the FFR units. Quite happy with the progress, strip the axels down next week, that should be fun!

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#28 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:47 am

Morning Gents,

Just got the chassis back from the painters, its been shot blasted again, then hit with special penetrating oil which soaks into the metal, then primed and then finished off with three coats of black.

Really happy with the results, this project was supposed to be a quick strip and clean but my OCD has taken over! :lol:

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

#29 PostAuthor: mick znone » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:31 am

work of art, thing of beauty, i would just love to be capable of doing this to a series landy, a dream of mine. :up :up :up :drool
I DONT CARE, IN OR OUT BUT IM ENJOYING THE DEBATE......................ARMSTRONG MT500. a pushbike, waves.....addict, no offence

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#30 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:30 am

mick z1a wrote:work of art, thing of beauty, i would just love to be capable of doing this to a series landy, a dream of mine. :up :up :up :drool

Mick is such a simple car to work on!
Anyone can strip one its a simple progression Lego, meccano, Land Rover!
I think there is only three different size bolts, you only need a 7/16, 1/2. 9/16 and 5/8 spanner to strip it!
Should be nice when its done, just got to watch the pennies with buying the Norton things are a tad on the tight side :roll:

Return to “The Bottom Shed”