Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Dash Cams

Talk about all your non-Zed or even Kawasaki bikes here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Nosher903
100Club
100Club

Dash Cams

#1 PostAuthor: Nosher903 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:49 am

I'm thinking about getting a dash cam what with all the crash for cash scams going on out there.

Does anyone use one that they would recommend? There's loads of them out there, and getting an unbiased opinion is difficult. All the reviews on Amazon are clearly written by people who import the things.

Cheers,

Phil.
Z1b, GPZ900r, XJR1300

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:47 pm

Phil,

I bought a go-pro to use as a dash cam (well, that's what it went through the books as) but there's no way to get it to turn on & off automatically via the ignition. :roll:

I used one of these http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/roadhawk-ride.html for a while. Came with a bike I bought last year. It worked well, just plug a power lead into the fag lighter & as long as that's switched with the ignition, it will record when the ignitions on & stop when it's off. Video is saved to a micro SD card in 5 minute files, with the older ones being overwritten once the card is full. Depending on the size of the card, you'll always have the last hour or so of recording.

Here's a little bit of excitement it caught last year. https://youtu.be/tSC7paJ0lvU?t=146

Only problem was reading number plates, unless they were close/stopped.

I have upgraded to this model http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/roadhawk-r ... amera.html which are frequently discounted to around £100, but that's no good to you if they have no stock. :roll:

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

chrisu

#3 PostAuthor: chrisu » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:41 pm

i've got a Transcend DrivePro 200. Got a good write up in Autoexpress and does what it says on the tin.

Nosher903
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: Nosher903 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:45 am

Thanks GB, Chris.
Z1b, GPZ900r, XJR1300

ADE
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: ADE » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:31 am

Good info thinking of getting one myself.
Ade

Richard Q
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: Richard Q » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:44 am

Mine's wired into the car and runs all the time, but with a lesser clarity when parked. I was deliberately rammed by a HGV a little while ago and gave the footage (front and rear) to the Police who said it certainly looked deliberate, but it was my word against his so didn't bother doing anything about it :roll:

Still going through a legal battle about who pays for the damage.

So, not a lot of help with the police as they're not interested around here.

Might be good for when it ends up in court though.

Not sure of the make of it as it was a long time ago that it was fitted but a chap called James at Handsfree Solutions in Bournemouth fitted it. Costs around £300.00

Still from the front

Still from rear camera

Somewhere, over a rainbow, weigh a pie.

1976 KZ900

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: Charlie » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:09 pm

Stay away from the cheap Chinese cams on Ebay. I had 2 before I reached that conclusion. The quality is piss poor, they will not (at least the two I had) will not cycle recordings. They are hopeless in bright light or low light They just stop writing to the SD card when it gets full. You would only know that if you went into the settings to check. I have a Mio Myvue unit now. http://eu.mio.com/en_eu/mivue-388.htm

It has an approx 8 hour record onto its 32 gig sd card, then starts over recording old recordings. I spend 4 hours a day driving, so I get two days before it starts to overwrite. Clarity is incredible, even in night conditions. It auto detects emergency braking (it has a motion sensor) or impacts and saves that portion of recording so it does not get overwritten unless you tell it to.

When parked up - the camera is off..BUT, whilever there is a power feed to the camera (cigarette power lead).. It still saves about 1 minute of recording in live memory when parked, so anyone walks in front of the car, or if anyone bumps the car - you not only record the incident and aftermath, but the build up to it too.

About 80 quid from Halfords 18 months ago.

It already paid for itself when someone bumped my BMW while it was parked in a hotel car park. To be fair, they owned up to hotel recption - but how much of that was honesty, and how much was the fact they would see the camera in the front windscreen (and rear screen) I cannot be sure. I had all the detail recorded though ....

chrisu

#8 PostAuthor: chrisu » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:45 pm

I think they're becoming more and more essential these days though it does depend on your own standard of driving.

My sister in law was bought one for christmas but when i explained it would show if she was at fault as well she sent it back !

A week later she reversed into her daughters car so probably a good decision for her. :D

bunnysZ
Granny Magnet

#9 PostAuthor: bunnysZ » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:41 am

I bought one from the garage the other day... £20 quality is not bad , good enough to see whats going on , turns itself on when you unlock the car and off again when leaving . records on a loop as well.
zed the best ride of your life ...... so far

Return to “The Bottom Shed”