Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Harris Magnum 2

Talk about all your non-Zed or even Kawasaki bikes here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

martinz1000r
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Harris Magnum 2

#1 PostAuthor: martinz1000r » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:27 pm

It's a little light on the project activity in here at the moment so thought I'd share what I've been up to over the last year or so. I'm afraid it's not a Z but of the same era and certainly "old skool".

Here's my start point. Photo taken August 2013.

Plan was to turn it back to look completely as it would have done on the Harris marketing materials of the day. The bike came with the original Harris seat unit and I bought an original fairing off an OSS member. Loosely assembled it looked like this

It was then totally stripped. Frame and swinging arm went back to Harris for geometry and crack testing plus a coat of red paint. Motor was stripped, new barrels procured and bored to 1170cc (originals were rusty having sat 19 years in a damp shed) and head to Grumpy 1260 for overhaul. All bodywork sent to Simon at Flying Tiger to repair and paint.

Some of the bodywork came back last Autumn but still waiting on fairing (come on Simon!!) and everything reassembled. A couple of disasters along the way but today it finally turned a wheel in anger and took it's first tentative trip up the road in nearly 4 years

Here's where we are today. Just the fairing to fit when it finally returns and we are done.

Z1000R, Moto Martin GPz, z900 A4 Crosby Replica, Harris Magnum 2, Suzuki GSXR 1100 Slabbie, SP1 Hoonda x 2, Katana 1100, Bimota SB6R and Tuatara

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#2 PostAuthor: paul doran » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:36 pm

Martin it looks brilliant
way too many Zeds

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: Coose » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:11 pm

That's just grand! I have a proper hankering for a period Harris... :)

martinz1000r
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: martinz1000r » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Coose wrote:That's just grand! I have a proper hankering for a period Harris... :)

I might be tempted to part with it once done. I simply cant screw myself in to a small enough shape to get my feet on the pegs. Harris must have used jump jockeys to design the thing back in the day. Certainly not 6ft 50 somethings with a bad back.....

I really dont want this ending up as a trailer queen.
Z1000R, Moto Martin GPz, z900 A4 Crosby Replica, Harris Magnum 2, Suzuki GSXR 1100 Slabbie, SP1 Hoonda x 2, Katana 1100, Bimota SB6R and Tuatara

Swirl
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: Swirl » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:46 pm

Looking well, followed ye trials and tribulations on OSS

Swirl
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: Swirl » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:50 pm

Will have to get a build thread on here for my Harris, seen as thou I can say its having a zed engine in it on here, pain in the arse getting pictures from phone on to here thou

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: Coose » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:10 pm

martinz1000r wrote:
Coose wrote:That's just grand! I have a proper hankering for a period Harris... :)

I might be tempted to part with it once done. I simply cant screw myself in to a small enough shape to get my feet on the pegs. Harris must have used jump jockeys to design the thing back in the day. Certainly not 6ft 50 somethings with a bad back.....

I really dont want this ending up as a trailer queen.

Oh don't... No, actually, do! :wink:
(If you do decide to let it go can I please be near the front of the queue?)

KWACKERZ1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: KWACKERZ1 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:43 pm

Love the period paint martin straight from the mag2 brochure. Love it bring it out for a play first before you flog it.
You need to take it to its spiritual home. Spa !!

martinz1000r
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: martinz1000r » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:29 pm

KWACKERZ1 wrote:Love the period paint martin straight from the mag2 brochure. Love it bring it out for a play first before you flog it.
You need to take it to its spiritual home. Spa !!

Phil, I am toying with the idea of taking it to Donnington. I will be taking the Croz bike to Spa as it's the only place I don't have to worry about noise restrictions

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:02 pm

That looks fantastic Martin, can't wait to see it with the fairing fitted.

Could you fit/fabricate some alternative rearsets?

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

Swirl
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#11 PostAuthor: Swirl » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:39 am

I'm going to have to alter the position of mine, after smashing myself up pretty badly 18mths ago

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:37 am

Bloody lovely great looking bike, well done.
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#13 PostAuthor: Pigford » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:35 pm

Had to drop my r/sets about 60mm.....and also swapped the clip-ons for some nice flat bars. After riding up to the ACE last Easter, my elbows were painful for a few days afterwards?

BEFORE

AFTER

It really made a massive difference to the bike (& me) so I could actually ride it and more importantly, enjoy the bike :twisted:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

martinz1000r
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#14 PostAuthor: martinz1000r » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:54 pm

At risk of sounding like one of the rivet counters I usually groan at the desire on this was to keep it as close to the Harris parts catalogue of 1983 as I possibly could (where did that Koso speedo feature???). I would really like to keep those Harris pegs as they are rare.

Based on a discussion on OSS at the moment Harris apparently borrowed a gibbon from Whipsnade Zoo to help with designing rider ergonomics. That's why you can only fit on one if you have inside leg of less than 24 inches but arms that allow your knuckles to drag on the ground as you walk to be able to reach across the tank to the clip ons.

If I really cant squeeze myself in to it then new rearsets might appear and the Harris pegs will go in a box for if and when it ever gets rolled out for show pony duties. :D

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#15 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Moto Martin's of the era had a similar riding position.
From memory both the Harris brothers are taller than me, so god knows why they made it with such an awful riding position, though early GSXR750s had similar high footpegs.
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

Return to “The Bottom Shed”