Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

2 Stroke Project required

Talk about all your non-Zed or even Kawasaki bikes here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: 2 Stroke Project required

#16 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:59 pm

Is Vic There wrote:XT prices down here have shot up in the last 12-18 months, not my thing!

Not necessarily 'my thing' either but I've never owned a thumper before, so why not give it a go?

Fred
Paid Up Member

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#17 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:03 pm

Garry.L wrote:
Julian_Boolean wrote:There's a KE175 on eBay at the moment £800, it's in Bury St Edmunds

..... or even a matching pair!.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-COLLECTION- ... 2374405058?

KE175? A bit dull perhaps? You can tell how dull as there's a question about the 70's Ford Granada in the background.

Fred
Paid Up Member

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#18 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:38 am

Fred the Zed wrote:
Garry.L wrote:
Julian_Boolean wrote:There's a KE175 on eBay at the moment £800, it's in Bury St Edmunds

KE175? A bit dull perhaps? You can tell how dull as there's a question about the 70's Ford Granada in the background.

Fred

I'd love a Granada Coupe :D
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#19 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:45 am

Is Vic There wrote:
Fred the Zed wrote:
Garry.L wrote:

Fred

A guy down the Road has 4 door in Roman Bronze with a Black vinyl roof...... a lot duller than a XT500 though :roll:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#20 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:59 am

Garry.L wrote:
Is Vic There wrote:
Fred the Zed wrote:
Garry.L wrote:

Fred

A guy down the Road has 4 door in Roman Bronze with a Black vinyl roof...... a lot duller than a XT500 though :roll:

Here we go..... :lol:
Paid Up Member

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#21 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:47 pm

Fred the Zed wrote:
Garry.L wrote:
Is Vic There wrote:
Fred the Zed wrote:
Garry.L wrote:

Fred

Here we go..... :lol:

Why'll looking at the picture of the Granada I found myself looking at other Fords cars from the 70's, 80's and 90's! There is a XR2 Mk1 on eBay for 28K FFS, looked a really nice Capri, then I went onto looking at my all time "want" car which is a SAAB 96, love a 2T but would settle for a V4. I've actually owned two 96's when I was in the Air Force :P
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#22 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:27 pm

I think the 2 stroke Saab is a 93 and the 4 stroke a 96.
I raced a 900 2 stroke Wsrtburg in Autocross in the mid 80s, it went in the same class as the 1000cc 4 strokes, and left them all sitting in a cloud of smoke away from the start, unfortunately they all passed in the next couple of corners as it really didn't handle well. It caught fire while being welded
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#23 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:56 pm

Right, that's it, I'm going to buy a SAAB 96 3 cylinder two stroke, the search starts right now!

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#24 PostAuthor: swampy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:37 pm

trabant is where its all at now, stonking performance!
Motor biking, motor biking, going down the queens highway like a rasher streaky bacon!

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#25 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:52 pm

swampy wrote:trabant is where its all at now, stonking performance!

Small hick up with the Z1000R yesterday so I won't be buying anything for a while, I'll explain latter :roll:

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#26 PostAuthor: swampy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:16 pm

This sounds like it does not bode well.
Motor biking, motor biking, going down the queens highway like a rasher streaky bacon!

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#27 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Sun May 07, 2017 3:07 pm

Don't shoot me, but I've bought a 79 ahamaY XT500 restoration project... Its a bike imported from Nevada, which means not much in the way of rust. This also means that all the plastics and rubber items are wrecked through exposure to silly amounts of UV light. Not to worry plastics are findable and relatively cheap.

I made a slight omission on buying in not noticing the absence of a OEM kill switch and the addition of a single cable throttle... which should have told me that the carb is non-standard.... and the airbox has been modified. Replacement airboxes in decent condition seem very hard to find. Doh. As such, I think I'll stick with the replacement carb and stick a K&N on.

Everything else seems redeemable. Its just caked in Nevada sand and dust and needs a good clean up. I'm going for an 'oily rag' renovation, so originality isn't as important as reliability.

For all those experienced bike restorers out there.... in what order would you restore the bike? Check the most expensive item (engine) first? I don't want to spent forever on the restoration, just get it out there and back on the road. I've set myself a budget of £600 +/- £200. I'm hoping the big end and crank bearing are ok or that'll be blown in no time. I'm going to take the top end off to check its all ok and the big end bearing free play is within tolerance. I'll check the bore for wear and oval while its apart. If it needs it, I'll get it rebored and an o/s piston fitted, along with new valve guides.

Fred
Paid Up Member

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#28 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Wed May 17, 2017 7:58 pm

Any recommendations for rebuilding a spoked wheel? I have one with a buckled rim, which will probably need replacing if there's no way to straighten it.

Fred
Paid Up Member

chrisNI
Site Admin

#29 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Wed May 17, 2017 8:16 pm

Fred the Zed wrote:Any recommendations for rebuilding a spoked wheel? I have one with a buckled rim, which will probably need replacing if there's no way to straighten it.

Hagon or Central Wheels. If you're looking to keep it of a piece you might need to find them a rim, might be easier/cheaper to find a decent wheel depending how hard they are to find.

freddyz1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#30 PostAuthor: freddyz1r » Wed May 17, 2017 9:31 pm

Black Cat's not far from you rich.
cheers freddy
Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

It's not me who can't keep a secret. It's the people I tell that can't.

freddyz1r
PUM 329

Return to “The Bottom Shed”