Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

2 Stroke Project required

Talk about all your non-Zed or even Kawasaki bikes here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

2 Stroke Project required

#1 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:15 pm

Hi

I've a hankering for a two stroke project... don't shoot me but I fancy a TDR250. If you have one loitering about in the back of your garage needing some tlc, drop me a PM?

I'd consider any decent two stroke but the price of Gt750s, KHs, RGs or LCs is getting a bit salty.

Fred
Paid Up Member

chrisNI
Site Admin

Re: 2 Stroke Project required

#2 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:44 pm

TDRs have gone up a good bit recently too they were somewhat under-rated for a while, the other problem is that they also seemed to suffer a lot more owner inflicted brutality than the equivalent Powervalve so ones needing work can be really fucked up. Bodywork used to be an issue but there is now some pattern stuFf floating about, original panels are all gone, and I think TDR stuff from Yamaha is harder to get than it was, a few years ago it wasn't too bad, panels excepted. They only made them for four years 88-92 so they really aren't that plentiful. In ten years of going to Stafford I've seen about three displayed and none for sale. Big Fluff's brother has (or had...) a really nice one.

They're hilarious to ride but you may already know this... tdr250.co.uk is good place to look and get info :blah

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:57 pm

Have a look at the Harris H2 thread
And when did LCs become more expensive than Z1000s?
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:31 pm

chrisNI wrote:TDRs have gone up a good bit recently too they were somewhat under-rated for a while, the other problem is that they also seemed to suffer a lot more owner inflicted brutality than the equivalent Powervalve so ones needing work can be really fucked up. Bodywork used to be an issue but there is now some pattern stuFf floating about, original panels are all gone, and I think TDR stuff from Yamaha is harder to get than it was, a few years ago it wasn't too bad, panels excepted. They only made them for four years 88-92 so they really aren't that plentiful. In ten years of going to Stafford I've seen about three displayed and none for sale. Big Fluff's brother has (or had...) a really nice one.

They're hilarious to ride but you may already know this... tdr250.co.uk is good place to look and get info :blah

Thanks Chris, I've joined that forum and checked it out. I found a couple for sale but one is a not quite completed project so I've DM'd him, the other wants £4k for a bike that's described as mint but has nasty corrosion in places.

Cheers

Fred
Paid Up Member

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Julian_Boolean wrote:Have a look at the Harris H2 thread

Incredible rise in two stroke prices for bikes with a certain post-modern cache such as RDs and RGs
Paid Up Member

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Fred the Zed wrote:

Incredible rise in two stroke prices for bikes with a certain post-modern cache such as RDs and RGs

I've just bough an RZ350 YPVS and a RZV500R (RD500) I'm 2nd in line for a fully restored RD350LC which is immaculate, the bloke who has restored it wants $10,000 for is, everything has been refurbished to show standard or replaced, so fingers crossed. The problem here is Australia didn't get the TDR so the only one's about are personal imports (if you've done this you're not going to sell)
You could get an imported to buy one for you but its a big gamble buying something site unseen from an auction!
I would like a TDR but would love a RD125LC, its strange that the two stroke Kawasakis of the same era didn't interest me but the four strokes did!
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:28 am

Is Vic There wrote:
Fred the Zed wrote:

I've just bough an RZ350 YPVS and a RZV500R (RD500) I'm 2nd in line for a fully restored RD350LC which is immaculate, the bloke who has restored it wants $10,000 for is, everything has been refurbished to show standard or replaced, so fingers crossed. The problem here is Australia didn't get the TDR so the only one's about are personal imports (if you've done this you're not going to sell)
You could get an imported to buy one for you but its a big gamble buying something site unseen from an auction!
I would like a TDR but would love a RD125LC, its strange that the two stroke Kawasakis of the same era didn't interest me but the four strokes did!

I must say that I'm quite envious of your collection. There are importers in the UK but their mark up is ridiculous and you are never quite sure what you are getting when the caveat of 'sold as a non-runner' is in every advert you see. I'll sit tight and keep searching.

Cheers

Fred
Paid Up Member

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Amazing how a little nostalgia and a whiff of 2-Stroke can suddenly give an old man a full head of Hair and a waistline again :roll: ....
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:28 pm

Garry.L wrote:Amazing how a little nostalgia and a whiff of 2-Stroke can suddenly give an old man a full head of Hair and a waistline again :roll: ....

I wish. My hair products consist of a Can of Mr Sheen and a duster. :lol:
Paid Up Member

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:46 pm

Garry.L wrote:Amazing how a little nostalgia and a whiff of 2-Stroke can suddenly give an old man a full head of Hair and a waistline again :roll: ....

Nicely put :D
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#11 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:55 pm

Its official!! The price of two strokes has gone ballistic. Too much for me so I'm in negotiations to buy a 79 AHAMAY XT500. Guess what... Parts are plentiful and cheap and the old thumper has a solid following, so prices are firming up.

Not a Kawasaki, but Vivre le Difference as the French would say.

Fred
Paid Up Member

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#12 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:33 pm

There's a KE175 on eBay at the moment £800, it's in Bury St Edmunds
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#13 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:09 pm

Julian_Boolean wrote:There's a KE175 on eBay at the moment £800, it's in Bury St Edmunds

Thanks for the tip. Not quite my thing though. XTs prices are firming up and spares are easy to find.

fred
Paid Up Member

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#14 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:28 pm

XT prices down here have shot up in the last 12-18 months, not my thing!

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#15 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:40 pm

Julian_Boolean wrote:There's a KE175 on eBay at the moment £800, it's in Bury St Edmunds

..... or even a matching pair!.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-COLLECTION- ... 2374405058?
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Return to “The Bottom Shed”