Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Garage Security

Talk about all your non-Zed or even Kawasaki bikes here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

Re: Garage Security

#31 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:49 pm

ADRIAN H wrote:I have one of these fitted on each of my garages.

You can’t open the door without removing the lock. The only way to take the lock off is with the key, or cut it off with an oxyacetylene torch.

http://www.lockandkey.co.uk/p/gdm2/gara ... gKYL_D_BwE

I had one of those on my garage many years ago and thought it was great until I found the thing bent back over itself and my ZRX and crosser missing.. no idea how they bent it but guess a big crow bar or similar. They managed bend it enough to open the up and over door anyway.

Arctic Fox
Regular Poster

#32 PostAuthor: Arctic Fox » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Go native, sell everything, then you have nowt to nick!

Alternatively a ground anchor, a thick chain, and big padlock seems to be the preferred option to ensure your bike stays in your possession on other forums I've read. The CCTV is only a deterrent for an opportunistic thief without a balaclava, but any determined thief will have it away regardless of what you do, so best you can do is increase the time and hassle it takes them and hope they move to easier pickings.

As an aside - put chains and disc locks through/on the back wheel, they are a whole lot more difficult to take off, and keep chain short so it can't be attacked on the ground.

1975 Z900 A4

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#33 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:26 pm

LeeJackson wrote:
ADRIAN H wrote:I have one of these fitted on each of my garages.

You can’t open the door without removing the lock. The only way to take the lock off is with the key, or cut it off with an oxyacetylene torch.

http://www.lockandkey.co.uk/p/gdm2/gara ... gKYL_D_BwE

I had one of those on my garage many years ago and thought it was great until I found the thing bent back over itself and my ZRX and crosser missing.. no idea how they bent it but guess a big crow bar or similar. They managed bend it enough to open the up and over door anyway.

That is interesting. You'd have to be a very determined thief to bend one. I tried last night with a 4 foot crow bar would not budge.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

hartyb
100Club
100Club

#34 PostAuthor: hartyb » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:13 pm

My top tip is don't let people see what you have, no leaving your Bike parked out side on view, don't leave garage door open, I have a bolt I pop in a drilled hole so I can have it half open so when at the road side you can not see in and all my bikes are covered the ones near the door are locked to ground anchors and locked together the odd empty box balanced on the covered bike and a sheet of wood leaded up against the bike at the front, just looks like the normal garage junk if any one see's in.

I am very careful with delivery guys as it only takes one in the pub to say, I was at this address and the guy there has a load of classic motorcycles you never know who will ask questions and find out what you have and what they want to nick

there is a down side of looking to well protected as it does show there is something worth going in for, so a mix of in your face stuff and some covert stuff is good.

I am sorry to say you can buy (Or these types can steel) a battery angel grinder for 40 quid that well cut any lock or chain off in a few seconds and with the aid of a pillow don't make a lot of sound doing it, there was stuff on Utube about them doing it
Z900A4, Z1000A1, Z1000ST E1,E2, Z1000Mk2 A3,Z1000H Z1R D1, z1000j3, Z1000P. Z900RS SE,
Z1300 A1,
GPZ1100 Unitrack, GPZ750E, GPZ 750Turbo, GPZ900r A1, A2, A6
ZZR1100 Purple and orange
KE175b, KE175F
along with some lesser makes :eek

marlin
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#35 PostAuthor: marlin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:29 am

sorry to say scumbags have struck again , one of the lads at work this morning said that something had come up on his facebook about at bike being stolen from a garage in sherburn (YORKS ) , no details on bike just to let you know the bastards have struck again , and maybe it is a time we all think how secure or not our bike or bikes are !!!! cheers marlin

Return to “The Bottom Shed”