Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Will the greens devalue your classics ?

Talk about all your non-Zed or even Kawasaki bikes here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Will the greens devalue your classics ?

#1 PostAuthor: Charlie » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:03 pm

So the green loonies appear to have won through and sales of all petrol and diesel vehicles will cease by 2040 in the UK and much of Europe.

Prohibitive measures will be applied to motorcycles manufactured before 2000 as well as any cars made before that date.

It remains to be seen if petrol or diesel will still be available, but if it is - it will be prohibitively expensive and its a certainty that other punitive taxes will be introduced to replace the 4% of all treasury tax income that currently comes from fuel taxes.

That will be levied in no small way against all the "dirty" vehicles that we currently love and cherish.

What value your gold mine classics when they could be prohibited from certain roads, being used during certain times and in certain towns even IF you can get the petrol to run them ?

Scrap Value or Ornaments perhaps .... :shock:

Discuss .....
Why do I persist in debating with idiots ? I really should know better :)

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Will the greens devalue your classics ?

#2 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:30 pm

That was my initial thoughts too. On one hand there's an argument that classic cars and bikes will start to lose value over the next 23 years as the ability to use them diminishes but on the other hand there's an argument that the scarcity of ICE powered vehicles in 20 years time will affect the supply and demand, pushing values higher and higher.

It'll be interesting to see how values rise and fall. I expect prices will rise for a decade or so as folks will say 'fuck it, I'm going to get a classic while I still can' then tail off for another decade as people worry about the future availability of fuel and an increase in road taxes, then rise more sharply as people start collecting again. In the background, lots will depend on how interest rates rise or fall. Classic vehicle prices (and gold) rise at times of low interest rates and fall at times of high interest rates.

Frankly, who knows?

fred
Paid Up Member

Andrew_s
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: Andrew_s » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:35 pm

Don't panic just yet.
There will be plenty of transport still using Diesel - HGV, Shipping etc
And aircraft will need more than a bunch of AA batteries.

To get Diesel and kerosene out of crude you end up with a great deal of other stuff. They will be begging the old car and bike brigade to take petrol away free in order to make huge profits on the other muck.

I think when I am 83 I may have given up classic cars and bikes and gone to my battery powered mobility scooter! Are they seriously going to be able to do away with all petrol & diesel vehicles, install electric charging points everywhere in every village, town, city & industrial estate in order to cater for the real world? All in 20 years?

There was a guy going on about how good his Teslar was this morning, all £57k worth? What about the average people? Quite frankly with the wonderful battery technology at the moment I cannot get more than a few hours life out of my front doorbell or shaver! A dream world that will take much more than 20 years to sort out.
Current Bikes:
Phil Churchett's 1976 Z900 A4: PRE 2R https://www.flickr.com/photos/115740825@N05/albums/72157680116996884
1973 XL250 K0 Motosport: UKX 73L
2023 R1250 GSA
Previous Zeds: Z750B1 Twin, Z650B1, Z750E

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:37 pm

Easy for 'this' Government to promise something 20+ years in the Future when most of them will be long since dead or retired to their Tax Payer funded pads in Surrey....

Remember Kyoto.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:37 pm

I'm buying an XB Falcon and painting it black
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#6 PostAuthor: Pigford » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:41 pm

No - not for years yet.

The new legislation says no NEW fuel cars from 2040.... so old/existing vehicles will be phased out gradually... maybe looking at 2060 to fully hit home :shock:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:05 pm

Don't panic ! Mr Mainwaring.
Just more government fantasy bullshit that has no real chance of becoming reality in our lifetime.
They won't even ban fags because of back handers from the tobacco companies so can't see the demise of petrol powered vehicles while there's still oil in the ground.

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:46 pm

Julian_Boolean wrote:I'm buying an XB Falcon and painting it black

I think the noise it makes might give the game away... :lol:
Paid Up Member

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: garyd » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:19 am

The middle east basically say what's going on. They have all the powerful people in their pockets regarding arms. Do you think they will let their only source of power and money just vanish?

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:55 am

Over 20 years away. Political bullshit, too distant to worry about.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#11 PostAuthor: Charlie » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:57 pm

I dont think it's too distant to worry about. I am not convinced it will actually happen, but there is some cause for concern as many peeps WILL panic and that could affect vehicle values.

My thoughts are that this will be something like the pension age retirement age thing and keep getting put back as the time approaches. The science is not in place. The economics are not in place. The infrastructure is not in place.

There are zero realistic alternatives to petrol and diesel powered vehicles at the moment or even on the near horizon. They may as well state all cars must be hover cars by 2040 ..

An electric car with a range of 1 to 2 hundred miles only is no use to anyone unless they work on the doorstep. My daily commute is over 200 miles lol. I do that 5 times a week. If I work out our other office - its 400 miles turnaround.

I heard guff about installing charging points on every lamp post. Forgoing the vandalism and failure issues that would ensue, and how anyone might pay for all the electric used. I just looked up my road and in the few hundred yards I can see, there are exactly 7 lamp posts , two of those are right on a junction so must be disregarded. I count roughly 70 cars parked though. That is without walking and looking down drives... so 14 cars to a charging point then - that'll work (not)

Of course we could all run leads from our garages to the cars - I have 4 cars though, so which one gets charged overnight ? l have to leave one on the road cos my drive will only carry 3, so that means me and the other 64 cars on the roadside need to run electrical leads across the pavements.

I see no problems with that at all ..... :roll:

And just to show how fecked up government policy is - it was only announced this week that the still unbuilt HS2 line will not be all electric as planned, swathes of it will still be diesel loco'd. IF that ever opens, it'd be around 2035+, so where the new trains gonna come from to run on it. Will they spend £millions on rolling stock that is outdated in well under a decade ?
Why do I persist in debating with idiots ? I really should know better :)

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: garyd » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:10 pm

2040 is when they stop SELLING cars...maybe...so there will be plenty of internal combustion engines running on for another 20 years.

Any of you still going to be alive in 2060...let alone worrying about fuel for vehicles?

As a side note...my xtrail has gone wrong and I need another vehicle. Would love an electric one but no big 4X4 types out there yet....so buying another diesel xtrail... So There! :blah

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#13 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:08 pm

The key words are cars and vans NOT motorcycles, lorries, trains, ships and other means of transport, of course home distilling petrol from diesel may be an interesting process
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#14 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:51 am

garyd wrote:2040 is when they stop SELLING cars...maybe...so there will be plenty of internal combustion engines running on for another 20 years.

Any of you still going to be alive in 2060...let alone worrying about fuel for vehicles?

As a side note...my xtrail has gone wrong and I need another vehicle. Would love an electric one but no big 4X4 types out there yet....so buying another diesel xtrail... So There! :blah

I got a Columbia - 07 plate with 60k miles, terrific old barges.... Mrs P likes it too, but calls it the ENTRAIL :up
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#15 PostAuthor: swampy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:18 am

The idealistic policy has not been thought through at all.
In cities the great majority of people live in flats, and the number will only continue to rise. As thats all devlopers have any interest in building, to maximise profit margin.
So how the hell is somone living on the 5th floor etc. going to get thrir car/cars charged. Because i doubt that every flat will have 2 or more dedicated charging points.
Motor biking, motor biking, going down the queens highway like a rasher streaky bacon!

Return to “The Bottom Shed”