Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Some advice please!

Talk about all your non-Zed or even Kawasaki bikes here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

bobajob
Regular Poster

Some advice please!

#1 PostAuthor: bobajob » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi , after a bit of advice please. I still have a couple of old zeds that have sat there for far too long- life somehow gets in the way, one since 1999 the other hasn't moved since 2010. Both remain decent as have sat in the conservatory under cover so haven't suffered the winters so hoping won't take too much to get road worthy . Anyway the time has come to either sell or see if there is an Indian summer of riding left in me so considering putting one back on the road -the 900 if it doesn't cost too much.. Point of the post is does anyone know of someone they can recommend in the Merseyside area who can do or help me with the work that is reasonably priced? There is an oil leak on the engine from left hand side (not sure where from)which is main problem I need help with -front brake cylinder leaking too plus the standard re commissioning stuff. Tried to add of photo of bike -hopefully it works. Cheers Bob
Attachments
DSC07409.JPG

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Some advice please!

#2 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:46 pm

Left hand side oil leak is probably from the alternator wires (they all do that sir) and is an easy fix with some decent mastic. Brake caliper leak will doubtless be the piston seal which will have dried out with being stood, again a cheap and easy fix with a set of seals from the usual suspect/s.

If you're planning on selling I personally wouldn't bother paying someone for all the recommissioning stuff as it won't add that much to the value. as long as the bikes are running and presentable that should get you a decent price.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

bobajob
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: bobajob » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:11 pm

Thanks for the advice - really appreciated, will be well happy if the oil leak is as simply as that!! Cheers.

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:22 pm

Oil Leak on left hand is most likely from where alternator wires go into alternator casing. A relatively easy fix.
Calliper seal also relatively easy to sort.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

bobajob
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: bobajob » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:48 pm

Apologies -I'm getting greedy now -way out of touch but starting to get that long lost buzz back, would appreciate some suggestions/ recommendations on replacement tyres! Seen a pair of Avon Roadrider for £150 on fleabay, are they any good and is that a good price? or are there better tyres out there at a comparable price?? Again all advice appreciated! cheers

chrisNI
Site Admin

#6 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:33 pm

Any of the reputable modern options in the right size are way better than the 1970s equivalent a bit of internet searching should reveal the best deal. Metzeler, Bridgestone BT45, Avon... all decent. Get it rolling :D

Return to “The Bottom Shed”