Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

My CBX build

Talk about all your non-Zed or even Kawasaki bikes here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Russ
Regular Poster

Re: My CBX build

#31 PostAuthor: Russ » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:58 am

Short post for the brake calipers and some other bits;

Got front and rear bake master cylinder seal kits, new pads all round and new caliper seal kits, also put new pistons in while they were stripped down. These are some of the few things that are readily available, I think these were from Tourmax.

IMG_1457.JPG

Some of the most primitive brakes there are..............

IMG_1459.JPG

Rear caliper assembly in, the period "Hagon" shockers are only on temporarily and will be removed when some original CBX ones I found are refurbished. The CBX ones will probably cost more than Ohlins for the bike by the time they are done.

IMG_1461.JPG

Front calipers almost done.

IMG_1462.JPG

Even at this stage there are surprises. This is the clutch lever pivot assembly off the bars, the 6mm pivot thread was knackered. I think sometime in the past the bolt had backed off and the action of the clutch lever had worn the threads off one side of the hole - you can still see the witness marks at about 2 o'clock above the helicoil. A drill jig was made to drill the rest of the threads out keeping the centre of the threaded hole concentric with the main pivot hole in the top of the assembly. Then a helicoil was modified and inserted into the larger thread, it is only three threads deep but I'm sure the repair is good. A new pivot bolt was sourced NOS from Poland.

IMG_1463.JPG

Chaz66
Regular Poster

#32 PostAuthor: Chaz66 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:52 pm

Just found this build post and WOW!!! I have a real soft spot for these old 6's having owned a Z13. What you're doing to this CBX is fantastic and I look forward to further posts and ultimately a vid of her running and back on the road.
:brav
Barking Mad as always

1982 Z1000 LTD, running work in progress

Russ
Regular Poster

#33 PostAuthor: Russ » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:02 pm

Short post on the brakes and other bits and bobs;

These tiny opaque plastic bits are always missing, this bike had one left out of three. They are just a cover for a little viewing window above the brake pads for wear, another thing NLA and these were from Poland or Germany I think.........£26 FFS!

IMG_1464.JPG

New front brake fluid reservoir, old one was manky and couldn't get it clear again despite several times through the dishwasher. Rear resevior is protected a bit by the side panel so I reused it.

IMG_1467.JPG

Front calipers on with new set of hoses from Japan (copies, but very good ones). New HEL copper washers fitted. Discs were set up on a mandrel in the lathe and just a few thou removed with a sharp carbide, came up like new and nowhere near bottom limit.

IMG_1468.JPG

I won't put any fluid in the brakes as it will be stood there for ages, I'm sure everything will be good with hopefully no leaks. All seals, pistons, master cylinder kits and hoses are new so everything should work........... :D

The silver overflow hose tidy off the stand bolt is always missing for some reason, even on a quite un-messed with bike like this. I never found one in 3 years, I did find a couple of 3D drawings and fabricated this one which does the job. I'm sure I could make close copies if I could get a sample.

IMG_1470.JPG

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#34 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:09 am

Hi Russ
in the details you recognize the master!
Very well done Sir! Great topic!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

ColSZ1B
Regular Poster

#35 PostAuthor: ColSZ1B » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:53 am

Russ that's absolutely beautiful mate, all credit to you. Reminds me of mine when they first came out. Nice power , fabulous exhaust note, really flickable for its size but sometimes went into tank slappers on motorway curves .So well balanced you could sit on it on the centrestand start it put it in gear and rock it off the stand with your feet up & go.

ColSZ1B
Regular Poster

#36 PostAuthor: ColSZ1B » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:56 am

If it's not too rude to ask , what did shipping cost from Holland.

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#37 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:30 am

I have a CBX waiting in line for attention.

This thread and the work detailed in it is awesome, but I don't know if it inspires me or scares me to death.
Cheers,

Mark.

Russ
Regular Poster

#38 PostAuthor: Russ » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:03 pm

ColSZ1B wrote:If it's not too rude to ask , what did shipping cost from Holland.

Hi bud, the dealer I bought it from in Hassel arranged it and IIRC it was about £400. Could have got it a bit cheaper maybe but it was a lot easier through them.
Russ

Return to “The Bottom Shed”