Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Maggot...

Talk about all your non-Zed or even Kawasaki bikes here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

jonathan
Regular Poster

Re: Maggot...

#16 PostAuthor: jonathan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:12 am

No apologies needed, I fully expect to have the piss taken with a CX. It’s the old thing; I had one when I was at university and loved it, they really are a great bike :happy I got done for speeding on the M4, the policeman said they had chased me for 5 miles and he was going to put it down as 98mph ‘to save my licence’, not bad for a little 500!
Looks like it may be sold based on the enquiry I had on day one of the advert, there’s definitely a niche market out there.
As a BA pilot.....and on the 747.... I think you can see why a few things may have to move on!!

jonathan
Regular Poster

#17 PostAuthor: jonathan » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:09 pm

Sold! £6k. Not bad for a Maggot. Unfortunately the sums aren’t great overall but there we are....

chrisNI
Site Admin

#18 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:19 pm

It was a nice job - credit to you :D hopefully the new owner will be happy :D

dave cullen
Hardcore
Hardcore

#19 PostAuthor: dave cullen » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:38 am

interesting thread, bike looked really nice, prices, well opening myself up here but i love the H***a CD175, it was my first bike after a fizzy, and i owned 5 over the years, wouldn't mind another but i've seen them at 3k, which is just nuts for a bike that cost £315 new in 75.

re the CX, i spent about 10days in London in the early 80's and fancied a run around, you could hire CX's quite easily from bike hire firms down there, so i had one for the week, and in the weekend went around the south coast on it, was very nice to drive i have to say.

Each to their own
Z900A4 Z1000A1 Z1100R

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#20 PostAuthor: moizeau » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:58 pm

There seem to loads over here, in various guises, mainly café racer / bobber / scrambler, but also a few Turbos

https://www.leboncoin.fr/recherche/?cat ... H****%20cx

Strangely the originals seem to be cheaper?
Pete

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#21 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:03 pm

moizeau wrote:There seem to loads over here, in various guises, mainly café racer / bobber / scrambler, but also a few Turbos

https://www.leboncoin.fr/recherche/?cat ... H****%20cx

Strangely the originals seem to be cheaper?

It’s strange that there are any still about.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

#22 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:08 am

I never quite saw why they have a sort of legendary 'couriers choice' status. Admittedly I was a courier in the late 90's so most 'working' CX's had died by then, but anybody I knew who'd used them for dispatching didn't like them much.

I think they were just cheap, available and easy to put a top box on.

They weren't notably reliable either as far as I know (BMW's aren't all that they're cracked up to be either), and a stator change was an engine out job. Frame rot finished them off if they lasted long enough - if you saw a CX parked outside a post room on its mainstand that meant the sidestand had pulled out of the frame, if you saw one leant against a wall the mainstand mounts had collapsed too and it only had a couple of weeks left before it was going to the great bramble patch in the sky.

I'm biased, but the most stubbornly reliable bikes Ive ever owned (including a bmw r1100gs that was a pain in the arse) have been aircooled 550 and 750 Kawasaki. The brakes were annoyingly keen on corroding, but otherwise they never really died, they just sort of deteriorated into a smokey-rotten-exhaust-bald-tyred mess that just wasn't worth pushing through another mot, even though it still started on the button and ran quite well.
'In your twenties you think you are immortal, in your thirties you hope you are immortal, in your forties you just hope it doesn't hurt too much'

Lemmy

dave cullen
Hardcore
Hardcore

#23 PostAuthor: dave cullen » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:09 am

I think the GT750 in particular took over the courier role from the CX with its shaft drive, they did phenomenal mileages, although I remember an article where a magazine stripped down a Fazer 600 with 300000 on the clock which had been doing courier work between Scotland and England for several years and it was in pretty good nick!
Z900A4 Z1000A1 Z1100R

steve452
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#24 PostAuthor: steve452 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:22 pm

I had a GT750 when I was a courier in the '80's. IIRC most of the guys with Kwackers had the GT550, invariably a blue one. Absolutely bullet proof bike.
Z1-B, 400bhp ZX1000NGF

90% of questions that begin "Why..." can be answered with "Because people are stupid."

Return to “The Bottom Shed”