Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Talking Italian.....

Talk about all your non-Zed or even Kawasaki bikes here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

Talking Italian.....

#1 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:51 pm

No, not that Bananarama Song but Italian Bikes....

Owned Bikes since 77, but never an Italian, and never a V-twin. So I thought I might change that. But what to go for (or avoid)?.

Want something modern-ish, so no classics, and can't do Sports Bikes (much as I'd like an F4, 916 or Tornado). So was thinking along the lines of a Monster, Brutale or something similar from the other Italian Marques.

Any thoughts, ownership experience etc on any of the above?.

Ta.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

compo z1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

Re: Talking Italian.....

#2 PostAuthor: compo z1r » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:29 pm

Garry.L wrote:No, not that Bananarama Song but Italian Bikes....

Owned Bikes since 77, but never an Italian, and never a V-twin. So I thought I might change that. But what to go for (or avoid)?.

Want something modern-ish, so no classics, and can't do Sports Bikes (much as I'd like an F4, 916 or Tornado). So was thinking along the lines of a Monster, Brutale or something similar from the other Italian Marques.

Ta.

y do u like being sat a the side of the road AA RAC GREEN FLAG ?? id go down KTM if it was me !!!
THE ORIGINAL TARMAC TERRORIST

Z1000S !! Z1R Z810 [ project ] FZR 1000 RU KTM SXF 250 / 08 R6 and my dog zak.???

Z1OC # 886 till 2026

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:52 pm

Cannot recommend a monster, worst bike i have ever owned, lousy electrics and totally unreliable. so that kinda narrows it down to a Vespa for you :D

compo z1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#4 PostAuthor: compo z1r » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:56 pm

I’ve had Aprilla there shite too most Italians run Fix It Again Tomorrow electrics shite that’s FIAT to u :blah
THE ORIGINAL TARMAC TERRORIST

Z1000S !! Z1R Z810 [ project ] FZR 1000 RU KTM SXF 250 / 08 R6 and my dog zak.???

Z1OC # 886 till 2026

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:31 pm

kev edwards wrote:Cannot recommend a monster, worst bike i have ever owned, lousy electrics and totally unreliable. so that kinda narrows it down to a Vespa for you :D

Originally I would have agreed with you - a mate had a 748 back in the early 2000's and he had all kinds of leccy prob's. but these Days Audi now own Ducati and I understand build quality, reliability and electrics are much better now Ze Germans are in charge.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:00 pm

Garry.L wrote:
kev edwards wrote:Cannot recommend a monster, worst bike i have ever owned, lousy electrics and totally unreliable. so that kinda narrows it down to a Vespa for you :D

Originally I would have agreed with you - a mate had a 748 back in the early 2000's and he had all kinds of leccy prob's. but these Days Audi now own Ducati and I understand build quality, reliability and electrics are much better now Ze Germans are in charge.

Ducati and Aprillia electrics are still rubbish, spend more time in the dealers service dept, than at home. If you want a V twin by an Indian.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

DavidZ1R
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: DavidZ1R » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:42 pm

compo z1r wrote:
Garry.L wrote:No, not that Bananarama Song but Italian Bikes....

Ta.

y do u like being sat a the side of the road AA RAC GREEN FLAG ?? id go down KTM if it was me !!!

That's okay I have shares in the AA :lol:
CB125 GT380 CB750F1 Z1R GPZ 750 Turbo Z1R

relisysxx
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: relisysxx » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:25 pm

Well I,ve had a 916 for eight or nine years and it's never let me down, the only time it did'nt get me where I was going was when I did'nt do the Dzus fasteners up properly ( in a rush) and the fairing exploded when I was overtaking a mate exiting a round about :oops:

Reecy
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: Reecy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:49 pm

Gotta say that my gen1 Tuono is a great bike but I always think it's a bit fragile where the electrics are concerned the motor is great though.

I know it's Austrian but that's near Italy-if you want a V twin get a KTM-Rotax motor is fabulous, mine was a 1290 Superduke GT, it was absolutely fantastic, 173bhp more and torque than you can imagine and it goes, handles and stops fantastic. I only sold it cos my feet barely touched the floor :D :D

Try one

Reecy

FOZ1A
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: FOZ1A » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:40 am

Had a Ducati Diavel, it was like riding a 2 stroke!

What about a Guzzi V7 sport?

foz
Rickman CR1000, Harley Roadking

janluke
100Club
100Club

#11 PostAuthor: janluke » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:49 am

I've had a selection of modernish Italian bikes and they've all been faultless to be fair. This is a personal thing but Ducatis felt the the most Italian to me if that makes sense. If you've an Italian itch I'd start looking there

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#12 PostAuthor: Pigford » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:16 am

Had a couple of 850 Guzzi's - nice bikes, simples to work on & go well.

1970's MkII Lemon & and early 80's 850 with hi-comp pistons :up

They're easy to live with and good to ride, plus they sound great with decent pipes :twisted:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

chrisu

#13 PostAuthor: chrisu » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:43 am

ADRIAN H wrote:
Garry.L wrote:

Ducati and Aprillia electrics are still rubbish, spend more time in the dealers service dept, than at home. If you want a V twin by an Indian.

Had 4 Aprilias over the years. Never had a problem. V twins are very addictive......

Go try a Tuono and see what you think... Here's mine in the Pyrenees
Attachments
P1000068.JPG

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#14 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:29 pm

chrisu wrote:
ADRIAN H wrote:
Garry.L wrote:

Had 4 Aprilias over the years. Never had a problem. V twins are very addictive......

Go try a Tuono and see what you think... Here's mine in the Pyrenees

Well - you may have been extremely lucky, and I may have been extremely then !!
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

chrisu

#15 PostAuthor: chrisu » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:30 pm

:D No Ducati’s......

Return to “The Bottom Shed”