Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Wot, no sidepanel?

Talk about all your non-Zed or even Kawasaki bikes here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

zapo
100Club
100Club

Wot, no sidepanel?

#1 PostAuthor: zapo » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:43 pm

I was having a very enjoyable ride out today, bike running great, no dickheads had pulled out on me and the sun was shining.
What could possibly go wrong.
Parked up for a break and wandered off.
Sat over the way and looking back over at my A4....... shock horror the right hand sidepanel is missing.
FFS.
Only been out of my sight for 60 seconds so I doubt it's been nicked, must ave fell off. Grrrrrr.
Eight Zeds and 40+ years and its never happened to me before.
Backtracked 25 miles (as you do) hoping to find it but no chance of course.
Not really much point to this post other than y'all can share my pain :mad
No need to tell me to use plastic ties, too late :D but feel free if you can recommend somebody Staffs/Derbyshire area to paint match a new panel.

Tonto
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Wot, no sidepanel?

#2 PostAuthor: Tonto » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:43 pm

I feel your pain: I had exactly the same thing happen to me years ago: just got my A4 paint set back on the bike after a respray and the RH side panel decided to do a runner. :eek :eek
I was a bit luckier than you as I retraced my route and found it lying damaged on a grass verge. Side panels on my A4 and A1 are fitted with R clips to stop it happening again :up

Re paint: Sean Dewis in Ilkeston has done loads of Zed work, (did my A4 and Z1000) can recommend, and I know others on the forum have been pleased with his work.

Cheers Tim
"Better to remain silent and be thought an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove any doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Z900A4 / Hodna CBXZ / Ducati Diavel / H1F 500 Mongrel / CBXZ Project / RD400 project

zapo
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: zapo » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:17 pm

Thanks Tonto, I'm not over it yet but at least my paint job was not new like yours!
Jerry is getting me a side panel and then I will contact Sean to test his paint matching skills.
As an aside, the previous owner of my bike used a Z1000A panel on the right and it's been bugging me so I was going to replace it anyway at some point ......but been telling myself that for two years :D

chrisNI
Site Admin

#4 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:34 pm

I drill the spigot on the front and use an R clip. Even they don’t fall of they could get nicked if they’re not secured.

zapo
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: zapo » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:49 pm

A big shout out of thanks to BillP.
I popped in to his motorcycle and tea emporium today and couldn't help but notice a green A4 side panel hanging on the wall which he offered without hesitation to lend to me, with a cuppa to boot.
It's what being a club member is all about.
Bike looks much more tidy now and it's about a 85% match.......100% once on the move haha.
It's made my day while I get something more permanent sorted out.
Last edited by zapo on Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sgt.Pinback
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: Sgt.Pinback » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:01 pm

A4 right side panel is unique. Z1000 panel doesn’t fit. Left side yes but not right side.
Cheers, Uli

Z1, Z1000H, ZRX1100R, R90S

zapo
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: zapo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:13 am

Sgt.Pinback wrote:A4 right side panel is unique. Z1000 panel doesn’t fit. Left side yes but not right side.

Correct.
In my case the previous owner had used a z1000A r/h panel and fitted a bracket from the battery box down to the bottom lug, much like the normal fitting on the thou.
I'm guessing he only found out his error after getting the tank/panel/tailpiece painted - d'oh.
I have removed said bracket and the correct A4 panel fits as expected.

Bill P
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: Bill P » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:11 am

The panel is a gift :)

Return to “The Bottom Shed”