Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Restoration of a 1942 Willys jeep GPW Ford

Talk about all your non-Zed or even Kawasaki bikes here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Restoration of a 1942 Willys jeep GPW Ford

#1 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:25 pm

Hi men

I started a new project about 6 weeks ago. I was in a shop where they sell replica uniforms of WW2 and other wars of the 20th century.
I accompanied a friend a few times on remembrance trips and got interested in doing that.
Just a picture of my friend, his wife and me in his Willys jeep a few weeks ago.

image8.jpeg
image8.jpeg (105.77 KiB) Viewed 153159 times

I'm the passenger in the front...
So far so good.
There were several military vehicles stored and one of them was a GPW Ford /Willys jeep completely taken apart and hiding in several crates...
Since I'm very interested in the second world war (collection of military stuff, weapons, modelling,...) I asked the shop owner if he had a WW2 vehicle for sale and guess what, YES, the jeep was for sale. OK so far so good.
I went home and spoke to the wife, after all she has to agree with such a big, new project. She did agree but I had to clean up the old garage before the jeep could come home.
You have to know that the old garage is used for putting things inside that are still too good to throw away and for motorcycles which are waiting to get restored...there's no floor and no electricity .
So the next two weeks were spend by cleaning, painting walls, installing electricity and making a decent floor in it.
It was all ready at the beginning of september. On september 11, the jeep was delivered at my home.
This is what I received:

DSCN0598.JPG
the chassis

The chassis, painted in red oxide primer

DSCN0599.JPG
the axles

The front and rear axle, painted in red primer

DSCN0600.JPG
the tub

The tub and a few body parts

DSCN0601.JPG
the fenders, seats,...

Fenders, seats, fuel tank,...

DSCN0602.JPG
the engine

The GO DEVIL engine

Some more parts are available but as usual, a lot are missing.
So the hunt can begin!
It's a brand new experience for me, there's already a bit progress but it's going slow, too slow according to me but OK that's it.
That's it for today folks.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

zapo
100Club
100Club

Re: Restoration of a 1942 Willys jeep GPW Ford

#2 PostAuthor: zapo » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:46 pm

Good luck, I wouldn't know where to start.

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:17 pm

Good for you mate! im excited to see this come to life, good work convincing the wife but also sterling work on tiling that floor!

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: r3sc » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:36 pm

Hi Philippe,

You certainly like to keep yourself busy and that jeep will certainly do that.

When it’s finished will you keep it and use it?

Good luck with the project and keep the progress reports coming to us in the bottom shed!

gray
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: gray » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:39 pm

My father restored one 10 years ago. He bought it from a Highland estate. They had bought 4 at the end of WW2 that had been repurposed for civilian use. ( not uncommon at the time) 1 was for the shepherd, 1 for the gamekeeper and 2 spares. My father bought the shepherd's one, they were keeping the rest.
He restored if over a couple of years and it was lovely at the end . All parts were available as i remember ,but it was difficult to set up the brakes and the speed was slow by modern A road standards. He sold it as there wasn't really a "scene" in Perthshire for this type of vehicle- it's now in the south of England.
A passerby in Stirling one morning offered him a decommissioned Bren gun to fit to it but he declined!
If you're in the scene you'll love having it.
gray

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:51 am

Hi guys
thanks for the encouragements and the compliments!
When I get the jeep finished I intend to keep it and to use it to participate at commemoration events.
There are quite a few clubs in Belgium who restore these old war vehicles and who are participating at events.
Next year it'll be 80 years ago that the liberation of Europe took place. I hope to get it ready by then...wait and see.
I intend to get a rolling chassis first and then the engine, afterwards the bodywork can be done.
I'll keep you informed when there's progress.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: Philippe » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:55 am

Hi men

a bit of progress the past week:
The frame is painted in olive drab, my wife helped me to turn it over several times in between the different coats of paint.
DSCN0781.JPG

The front and the rear axle are opened, the bearings were OK, they look like new!
Unfortunately one of the brake drums is cracked, it will be replaced. Safety first!
These are allso painted in olive drab.
DSCN0783.JPG

A lot of small parts are allso painted. I think some of you will recognize the way of storing them in order for the paint to dry...
DSCN0782.JPG

The leaf springs are ready to be mounted, once again painted in olive drab.
DSCN0784.JPG

As a matter of fact all the parts (with a few exeptions) need a paintcoat of olive drab.
The engine must be painted in grey (Ford) .The radiator, the air filter and oil filter box need a coat of black paint.
That's all for today. More news next week.
GrtZ
Philippe

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:14 am

Love that olive green!

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:23 am

Great colour - thought it was a khaki green, never knew they called in Olive Green. I always thought 'Olive green' was a dark green, and there's over 30 different variants.
Attachments
olive green.jpg
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#10 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:01 pm

ADRIAN H wrote:Great colour - thought it was a khaki green, never knew they called in Olive Green. I always thought 'Olive green' was a dark green, and there's over 30 different variants.

In my business Olive green is a green made from mixing Black and Yellow and adjusting the Hue with white. So many options.... :ups

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: Philippe » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:01 pm

Hi guys

the official name is "Olive drab"...they say it's green with a yellow shade... I have no idea how they make it but I like it.
The British used a different shade in WW2, a bit darker.
It will become a US vehicle of the 101 AB so Olive drab will be the colour.
GrtZ
Philippe

chrisNI
Site Admin

#12 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:33 pm

Good work as always Philippe :D

Mathh
100Club
100Club

#13 PostAuthor: Mathh » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:26 pm

Wow... looks like you get bored very easily Philippe hahaha. Lots of energy available.. My workshop's neighbour has some Willy's in maintenance and is now working on one with a seized engine. He told me the owner said it ran downhill 120 kmh and then made a terrible noise :roll: Good luck with it, I know you will do a cracking good job restoring it.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#14 PostAuthor: Philippe » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:42 pm

Hi Mathh

I never get bored at all, always doing something and I have to divide the available time.
Wow, 120 Km/h for a Willys jeep, the top speed of a WW2 jeep was about 90 Km/h...no wonder that the engine made a terrible noise when going that fast. It's a long stroke engine, lots of power at low revs but at high revs the pistons travel a long distance and aprox 19 meter/sec is the limit for seizing. Poor little Go Devil engine...
GrtZ
Philippe

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#15 PostAuthor: Philippe » Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:24 pm

Hello men

It's been a month since my last post, sorry for that...
But I've been busy the last month:
- a lot of parts received a red oxide primer and a coat of olive drab.
- I was able to buy a lot of parts (starter engine, dynamo, good brake drums and wheel hubs, a lot of smaller parts,...)
- the jeep is getting shape

DSCN1460.JPG

The axles, springs, pedal levers are mounted on the chassis.

DSCN1461.JPG

The master brake cylinder and the steering box are mounted

DSCN1462.JPG

New brake lines at the rear and...

DSCN1463.JPG

at the front of the vehicle.

New shock absorbers at the rear and at the front.

DSCN1465.JPG

DSCN1464.JPG

The radiator grille and the windshield are sprayed, the windshield received new safety glass

DSCN1466.JPG

The radiator itself was repaired, checked and painted

DSCN1467.JPG

The combat rims are painted, the tyres (Firestone military) are ordered and hopefully they'll be here next week.
When those are mounted I'll have a rolling chassis.
The next step is to tackle the engine, taking it apart, checking the parts, replacing if neccessary and painting .
More news to come!
Grtz
Philippe

Return to “The Bottom Shed”