Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

gpz900r buying advice

Post all your wanted ads here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

gpz900r buying advice

#1 PostAuthor: swampy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:08 am

Hi there, a good friend of mine wants to buy a gpz900 the a8 model is currently his fave. so I said I would help him in trying to find a good in.

So what quirks do they have, any known problems to look out for etc.
also judging by e-bay 3.5k - 4.5k for a decent example seems to be the going price does this sound about right.

thanks chaps
Motor biking, motor biking, going down the queens highway like a rasher streaky bacon!

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: gpz900r buying advice

#2 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:50 am

Nice bikes, fast, handle well and comfortable, the later ones with 17" front wheels handle a little better.
If they're not looked after then they can have cam wear and cam chain problems, so make sure the oil has been changed regularly and the valve clearances done.
I'd avoid a really early one as I think there were rumours that they had cam problems, but this might be bollocks.
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

martinz1000r
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: martinz1000r » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:01 am

Robw ran a GPz900 for many years. He's your expert.

I briefly flirted with 900 ownership a few years ago. There's a very active and healthy forum based out of UK for them with loads of buyer advice. They also re-manufacture some of the obsolete parts. Overheating issues is one to watch. Run the bike on its stand and make sure the cooling fan kicks in when it gets hot. Some bikes have a manual switch put in to override the thermostat.

Normal rules apply otherwise i think. Original as possible and A1 model if you want to hold/increase in value.

Usually loads to choose from as such a successful and long running model.
Z1000R, Moto Martin GPz, z900 A4 Crosby Replica, Harris Magnum 2, Suzuki GSXR 1100 Slabbie, SP1 Hoonda x 2, Katana 1100, Bimota SB6R and Tuatara

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: swampy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:47 am

I have heard that the French used to call them l'perculator. so overheating makes sense. was it a temp sender thing or more to do with the rad/water pump.
Motor biking, motor biking, going down the queens highway like a rasher streaky bacon!

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:25 pm

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

chrispyduck
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: chrispyduck » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:17 pm

Superb bike, i've owned mine for over 30 years since it was virtually brand new.. An A2 model so in my 46k miles i know this bike well enough to comment.
If its an A8 model i guess a lot of the early issues have been ironed out and will handle better and stop easier........although not as quick !
Early cam shafts made of cheese (gouda) replaced under warranty.
They can appear to overheat as it is a matter of calibration rather than actual overheating; for that reason most bikes will be fitted with a fan override switch to turn it on prior to the thermostat kicking in. Its more of a precaution than necessity. The fan should come on when it gets hot so check this.
Inlet valves are a weakness; i had to change mine at around the 35k mark, i also changed the cam chain at this mileage but wasn't necessary. Swing arm linkage does not have a grease nipple so stripping and re greasing ever so often is a good plan.
The anti icing mod was another area of over compensation so if it hasn't got it don't worry. I chose not to go for the recall when i got the letter from Kawasaki back in the 80s.
For some reason the starter clutch can fail which is a major job to repair. Luckily mine has been ok. It manifests as a whining when the button is pressed, rather like a failed battery. However i have come across a number of GPz9s with well over 100k on the clock with no issues.
I would look for a standard bike that hasn't been modded with aftermarket stuff. They are a genuinely good bike and i have certainly used and abused mine. I will never sell it :)
Fat girls are like M****s, they are fun to ride, you just don`t want your mates to see you.

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: swampy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:23 pm

thanks Crispyduck good info there.

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:07 pm

I've just sold my A1, great bike and my first restoration. The cooling system isn't an issue if the sensors are working. The GPz900R forum is a great place to ask questions, Craig who runs it also has a really good shop. They're a great bike and have a cult following in Japan were they went up to the A16, the engine is bullet proof and is the Grandad to the ZZR and others, people go on about the starter clutch I never had an issue and didn't upgrade to the latter ZZR item just had it crack tested. There seems to have been a week batch made and its a bit hit and miss if you get one!
I still cant understand why these haven't gone up in price like the slabbies?
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

Fred the Zed
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: Fred the Zed » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Garry.L wrote:Have a chat with this Guy.....

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/YBcAAOSwu ... -l1600.jpg

750R....
Paid Up Member

SVENLEATHER
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: SVENLEATHER » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:00 am

I had one (A4) for many years from new and completed a few trips to Le Mans, Switzerland and the Bol dor. Only issues I had was re shock which gave up the ghost and got that changed. Disconnected the anti dive system and did have a problem with the relay on overheating.

Loved the bike but did find that foot pegs seemed to ground out quickly and actually got the belly pan down as well at Castle Combe track day.

Should have kept it.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (50.46 KiB) Viewed 6628 times

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#11 PostAuthor: swampy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:45 am

all good advice cheers guys

Return to “Wanted Adz”