Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

THOUGHT IT WAS A Z1 NOT SURE ANY MORE

Post all your wanted ads here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: THOUGHT IT WAS A Z1 NOT SURE ANY MORE

#16 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:37 pm

Unless you specifically wan't to do a restoration I'd go for a 'turn Key' finished bike as it'll probably cost less than the Restoration costs of many of the 'Fix-me-up' bikes that might at first glance seem like a bargain.

As I'm sure lot's on here will confirm, they ALWAYS end up costing more than you've budgeted for.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

wheelysteve
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#17 PostAuthor: wheelysteve » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:45 pm

Garry.L wrote:Unless you specifically wan't to do a restoration I'd go for a 'turn Key' finished bike as it'll probably cost less than the Restoration costs of many of the 'Fix-me-up' bikes that might at first glance seem like a bargain.

As I'm sure lot's on here will confirm, they ALWAYS end up costing more than you've budgeted for.

He's right you know !
1975 Z1B Candy Red/Blue
1975 Dogs Z1B
1976 Z900 A4
1977 Z650B1
1978 Z650B2
1978 KZ1000D Z1R
Yam Tracer 900GT

PUM 710

Keefleaf
ZedHead
ZedHead

#18 PostAuthor: Keefleaf » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:18 pm

I think John Brookes book tops 'em all :wink:

ollie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#19 PostAuthor: ollie » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:13 pm

agree keef :wink:
zedsrus:"i don't know man ,i just got here myself !!"

Kawandy
Regular Poster

#20 PostAuthor: Kawandy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:01 pm

Andrew_s wrote:Hi Andy,

Welcome to the club from me too - I'm a relatively new member and when I was looking for a Z900 Dave Orritt's was a really useful book (eBay about £10) - and as Paul says above, Dave Marsden's book is also worth buying and will give you the detailed spec.

Thanks Andrew I am on with getting ref books did you manage in your quest to get a 900 Thanks Andy

Andrew_s
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#21 PostAuthor: Andrew_s » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:09 pm

Kawandy wrote:Thanks Andrew I am on with getting ref books did you manage in your quest to get a 900 Thanks Andy

Sure did Andy, I bought a rather special Z900 from Floydsz1 in May which once belonged to a long-standing club member/officer Phil Churchett who is sadly no longer with us.

Good luck with your search.

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/115740825@N05/albums/72157680116996884/with/37060322763/

Club stand at Stafford in October:
Current Bikes:
Phil Churchett's 1976 Z900 A4: PRE 2R https://www.flickr.com/photos/115740825@N05/albums/72157680116996884
1973 XL250 K0 Motosport: UKX 73L
2023 R1250 GSA
Previous Zeds: Z750B1 Twin, Z650B1, Z750E

Kawandy
Regular Poster

#22 PostAuthor: Kawandy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:43 pm

Andrew_s wrote:
Kawandy wrote:Thanks Andrew I am on with getting ref books did you manage in your quest to get a 900 Thanks Andy

Sure did Andy, I bought a rather special Z900 from Floydsz1 in May which once belonged to a long-standing club member/officer Phil Churchett who is sadly no longer with us.

Good luck with your search.

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/115740825@N05/albums/72157680116996884/with/37060322763/

Club stand at Stafford in October:

THANKS Andrew a very nice bike ave you got to do owt yo it apart from clean,did it appear in for sale section or did you let members know you were looking for a Z900 well Jell .Cheers Andy

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#23 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:12 am

Hi Andy

When you find an old Z1 who needs a lot of TLC , work and parts to make it shine and to look like brand new you'll have to take in account that it'll cost a lot of money! :!:

I've done this several times and I can tell you that you'll end up around 10,000 Euro only for the missing parts or for the parts that will have to be replaced because they're beyond the point of repair (original or repro) .
You have to add the price of the "bike" (at least 3000 Euro when you're lucky !!!) and the working hours if you can't do the restoration yourself. :shock:

When you do the restoration yourself I estimate it'll take you about 9 months of your free time. That is without the time you'll spend talking to your wife to convince her that you really need this or that "hard to find part"! :sad

I hope I didn't stole your dream but it's better to know some figures before your dream becomes a nightmare or a bottomless moneypit :ghostface

I'm convinced that , when you decide to do a complete restoration yourself, you'll find the information and help here on this forum. :D

Whatever you decide: Good luck!
Greetings from Belgium
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Andrew_s
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#24 PostAuthor: Andrew_s » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:42 am

Kawandy wrote:THANKS Andrew a very nice bike ave you got to do owt yo it apart from clean,did it appear in for sale section or did you let members know you were looking for a Z900 well Jell .Cheers Andy

Thanks Andy, it is. :D

Both, I posted that I was looking for a Diamond Green UK Z900 with good history and few a bikes popped up for sale on the forum. Then a few months later this bike was advertised for sale in the Members Area as it had to be sold to a club member and stay in the club.

It needed a few things done i.e. a major service (my choice), tyres replaced (10 years old), a few parts replaced and general tlc. In all, I've spent about 4 days cleaning it mainly to get it ready for the Stafford Show in October, but to be honest it was clean when I bought it. The tank paint was chipped here and there, the side panels were cracked and the paint was splitting on the rear unit, so the paintset is now with Hutch (highly recommended club member) for repainting ready for next year.

The advice I would give is, do your research, know what you want and what you're looking at, set a budget and buy from a trusted source i.e. a club member.

Happy hunting.

Cheers
Andrew
Current Bikes:
Phil Churchett's 1976 Z900 A4: PRE 2R https://www.flickr.com/photos/115740825@N05/albums/72157680116996884
1973 XL250 K0 Motosport: UKX 73L
2023 R1250 GSA
Previous Zeds: Z750B1 Twin, Z650B1, Z750E

Kawandy
Regular Poster

#25 PostAuthor: Kawandy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:28 am

Philippe wrote:Hi Andy

When you find an old Z1 who needs a lot of TLC , work and parts to make it shine and to look like brand new you'll have to take in account that it'll cost a lot of money! :!:

I've done this several times and I can tell you that you'll end up around 10,000 Euro only for the missing parts or for the parts that will have to be replaced because they're beyond the point of repair (original or repro) .
You have to add the price of the "bike" (at least 3000 Euro when you're lucky !!!) and the working hours if you can't do the restoration yourself. :shock:

When you do the restoration yourself I estimate it'll take you about 9 months of your free time. That is without the time you'll spend talking to your wife to convince her that you really need this or that "hard to find part"! :sad

I hope I didn't stole your dream but it's better to know some figures before your dream becomes a nightmare or a bottomless moneypit :ghostface

I'm convinced that , when you decide to do a complete restoration yourself, you'll find the information and help here on this forum. :D

Whatever you decide: Good luck!
Greetings from Belgium
Philippe

Thanks Philippe Wow glad I was sat down before that realities check ,refurbed our house and understand how these jobs can escalate out of control in time and money going to be looking for a partly or completed project so more expensive ride and polish oops I’m off dreaming again .Appreciate your feedback Regards Andy

Kawandy
Regular Poster

#26 PostAuthor: Kawandy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:36 am

Andrew_s wrote:
Kawandy wrote:THANKS Andrew a very nice bike ave you got to do owt yo it apart from :D clean,did it appear in for sale section or did you let members know you were looking for a Z900 well Jell .Cheers Andy

Thanks Andy, it is. :D

Both, I posted that I was looking for a Diamond Green UK Z900 with good history and few a bikes popped up for sale on the forum. Then a few months later this bike was advertised for sale in the Members Area as it had to be sold to a club member and stay in the club.

It needed a few things done i.e. a major service (my choice), tyres replaced (10 years old), a few parts replaced and general tlc. In all, I've spent about 4 days cleaning it mainly to get it ready for the Stafford Show in October, but to be honest it was clean when I bought it. The tank paint was chipped here and there, the side panels were cracked and the paint was splitting on the rear unit, so the paintset is now with Hutch (highly recommended club member) for repainting ready for next year.

The advice I would give is, do your research, know what you want and what you're looking at, set a budget and buy from a trusted source i.e. a club member.

Happy hunting.

Cheers
Andrew
. Thanks Andrew please keep your ear to the ground if you hear of owt :shock: You not selling are you :D :D :down Thanks again Andy

Kawandy
Regular Poster

#27 PostAuthor: Kawandy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:20 pm

wheelysteve wrote:
Garry.L wrote:Unless you specifically wan't to do a restoration I'd go for a 'turn Key' finished bike as it'll probably cost less than the Restoration costs of many of the 'Fix-me-up' bikes that might at first glance seem like a bargain.

THANKS Gary :D
He's right you know !

Kawandy
Regular Poster

#28 PostAuthor: Kawandy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Z1parR wrote:Take your time Andy , look slowly and carefully , there is an enormous amount of good information on here .
Bargains are not be be had , but good value good bikes are .
Welcome in by the way :up :up

Thanks Geoff Regards Andy

Kawandy
Regular Poster

#29 PostAuthor: Kawandy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:22 pm

ollie wrote:agree keef :wink:

Cheers Lads

Return to “Wanted Adz”