Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

z900 a4 fork springs

Post all your wanted ads here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

samba54
Regular Poster

z900 a4 fork springs

#1 PostAuthor: samba54 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:47 pm

Wanted, a pair of standard front fork springs, mine has progressive ones fitted and I don't like how it rides or handles, it is very bouncy. Or any info on where I can buy new ones, any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks Graham.

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: z900 a4 fork springs

#2 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:09 pm

Progressives should be better than standards in my experience,what grade and level of fork oil are you using?
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

samba54
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: samba54 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:48 am

I have no idea, it was like it when I bought it . The guy I bought it off told me he had fitted them and said I would notice how much better it would be . I don't think it is, it's very soft at the front when you take it off the side stand it sags a lot and then does not move much , it is also very light on the steering, around town it feels like a 125, but it is not unstable at speed. This is the 4th one I have owned, the first in 1978 they all weaved and would rather go straight on than go round corners , you had to force them to change direction. This one has more modern tyres so maybe that has something to do with this but it does move around over every ridge in the road.
Having read the thread on here about progressive spring I have found you can get linier springs from race tec.
I have noticed that the front tyre is over size at 3.50x19, I don't know what effect this should have but you would think it would slow the steering .

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:58 am

If i were you would strip the forks and go back to standard,have owned four a4,s over the years, they all handled and stopped ok within the constraints of old tec.What i would do is strip forks,ditch the old ball race headstock bearing and fit tapers,new seals,new springs(standard or progressives),20 weight oil,decent standard modern tyres eg bt45,s,inflated to suit not the old pressures stated in the book,all that has worked for me and others i have built and sorted them for...Cheers Paul J
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

-Han Solo

Anon

PUM 673

samba54
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: samba54 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:11 pm

Thanks for your advice, it has a new pair of continentals with a ribbed front. my wife and I both weigh about 60kg, I have set the tyre pressures as the book gives, what pressure do you think I should start from? I thought I would try the pressures first , then do the fork oil.

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:50 pm

Hiya, would try 32 front 36 rear for modern rubber ,rider weight does have a real bearing on handling seem to stick and handle better if a heavier rider,remember a mate of mine few years back( 9 stone ish) getting in a right tank slapper as he came past me at about a ton,brown pant job :lol:

-Han Solo

Anon

PUM 673

Return to “Wanted Adz”