Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

z1 wheel rim

Post all your wanted ads here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

ogre
100Club
100Club

z1 wheel rim

#1 PostAuthor: ogre » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:16 am

hi all long shot im after a 73 z1 rear rim date code 3c or 3d.the f***wits at the chromers i tried ground the stamped markings off.it was the only thing i asked them to make sure they keep.i stood there in my work gear with hdm engineering on my jumper and he told me that they sometimes come off in the dipping process before cleaning up.35 yrs in engineering i was gobsmacked,wasnt cheap and the rest of the job was just ok.anyway rant over i do have a rear rim 4e that i could swap or sell to fund the one i want.
thanks ogre

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: z1 wheel rim

#2 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:36 am

ouch!! :sad

Zedorset
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: Zedorset » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Makes you think there is a valid argument for forced euthanasia :evil:
1975 Kawasaki Z1B
1979 Triumph Bonneville T140D
1969 BSA B25 Starfire

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi ogre
the same thing happened to a pair of my rims! You're not alone.
It's hard to find a 303 type, 18 inch Takasago rear rim , not to mention the one with the correct date code. :eek
Take a look at this one: http://z-fever.de/shop/product_info.php ... 1973-.html
Good luck and all the best anyway.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:04 pm

Philippe wrote:Hi ogre
the same thing happened to a pair of my rims! You're not alone.
It's hard to find a 303 type, 18 inch Takasago rear rim , not to mention the one with the correct date code. :eek
Take a look at this one: http://z-fever.de/shop/product_info.php ... 1973-.html
Good luck and all the best anyway.
GrtZ
Philippe

Sadly total scrap that one :(

baz
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: baz » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:16 pm

I've got a 3D one :D
Depends how far you want to go with it though :(
It would chrome again but it's got some deep dents and scratches on one outer edge of rim, like hammer marks.
If your good with a brazing rod and have the time it would go again.

DDZ900
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: DDZ900 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:44 pm

i have a pair of early 1974 z1a900 wheels but in poor order will check code tomoz.

wilsonsjw11
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: wilsonsjw11 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:49 pm

Some of these guys offering services are dangerous when they think for themselves.I put a mint condition Z1B front wheel in for new spokes to be fitted and when I went to collect it he had painted the anodised hub without instruction,when challenged why he said "he thought it looked better painted black" :twisted:
Always write down what the job is.
Regards
Steve

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:43 pm

there was a Scandinavian guy with an immaculate z900 resto featured in ps a couple of years ago; he was advised to use an English wheel restorer (unnamed) who took particular care to preserve the original rim markings.the guy took the advice and had a right result..it should be easy enough to track the guy down via bookface etc (or via ps editorial number in the mag) if anyone has the issue..i can update tomorrow when I'm home. m

ogre
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: ogre » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:52 pm

yep ur right we have problems all the time with suppliers not all of them but they promise this and that and you just end up chasing them cos they just lie.bin doin it a long time and its never changed.i just know if we were like that the company would be out of business.i'm not one for slagging people off but if anyone wants to know who they were pm me.

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#11 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:46 pm

name n shame, i say. probably save others going there. loyalty is earned and these guys should be avoided by the sound of it. grass em up ogre.. mark

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:42 am

Hi men
be careful when stating names of people or companys, they could file a complaint resulting in court and they have more time and money to pay lawyers than we have!
You have to keep in mind that those people often don't work alone, there are other workmen involved in their "factory". The "boss" keeps the ultimate responsability, I know.
Once I got a "tour" of the factory. There are a lot of electro chemical processes to make old rusty parts like new. During one of those many stages something can go wrong!
In my case, I spoke to the chief (who allso works in the production process) and told him about the vanished markings on the rim. He promised me he would speak to the man who did the grinding and polishing of the parts.
The next time I handed over rims for rechroming he remebered my complaint and said that this time the markings would stay there. And they did ! Just give them a second chance!
Just keep in mind that we hand them over old rusty parts and we expect to get factory fresh parts back...they have no "time machine", only grinding and polishing tools...
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#13 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:34 am

Philippe wrote:Hi men
be careful when stating names of people or companys, they could file a complaint resulting in court and they have more time and money to pay lawyers than we have!
You have to keep in mind that those people often don't work alone, there are other workmen involved in their "factory". The "boss" keeps the ultimate responsability, I know.
Once I got a "tour" of the factory. There are a lot of electro chemical processes to make old rusty parts like new. During one of those many stages something can go wrong!
In my case, I spoke to the chief (who allso works in the production process) and told him about the vanished markings on the rim. He promised me he would speak to the man who did the grinding and polishing of the parts.
The next time I handed over rims for rechroming he remebered my complaint and said that this time the markings would stay there. And they did ! Just give them a second chance!
Just keep in mind that we hand them over old rusty parts and we expect to get factory fresh parts back...they have no "time machine", only grinding and polishing tools...
GrtZ
Philippe

A company would have no case if a statement was true. However, I doubt that many platers would know the significance of stamps. Unless you tell them, I guess it would difficult to apportion blame.

gpjes
100Club
100Club

#14 PostAuthor: gpjes » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:36 am

Sometimes unavoidable as the first process after degreasing is to blow the old chromium off the parts in something called a chromium stripping soloution, yukky process, after drying and depending how bad the corrosion and lets be honest, usually in the stamping as under a microscope chrome plating looks like crazy paving so the polisher has to get all of the corrosion out OR the plating don't take and looks crap, I know you purists, want original but from personal experience, being a maintainence engineer in a large electroplating company sometimes its not possible, but knowledgeable people in these places should tell you of the possible implications first, personally if that was me, i'd be looking at period alloy takasago rims and big fat polished stainless spokeys, knowatyimean?
More Smiles Per Mile

Return to “Wanted Adz”