Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1R colour

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

alfacity
Regular Poster

Z1R colour

#1 PostAuthor: alfacity » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:00 pm

I’ve decided to get my Z1R resprayed does anyone know the original exact colour and colour code if it had one
Z1A & Z1000R2 ELR

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Z1R colour

#2 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:48 am

Hi alfacity
the official colour name is "metallic stardust silver". Kawasaki doesn't give the formula to mix the paint :down
but there's a substitute colour. It's named "Havasu Blue" and it's found on the 2004 model "Hodna" Acura MDX cars.
Perhaps your local paint supplier can do something with that information.
Anyway , good luck with the respray!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:29 am

Philippe wrote:Hi alfacity
the official colour name is "metallic stardust silver". Kawasaki doesn't give the formula to mix the paint :down
but there's a substitute colour. It's named "Havasu Blue" and it's found on the 2004 model "Hodna" Acura MDX cars.
Perhaps your local paint supplier can do something with that information.
Anyway , good luck with the respray!
GrtZ
Philippe

Paint a shed in Hongda colours Phillippe?.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

I use Richie at Motorcycle FX here in the UK for my paint He's probably painted more Sheds than Kawasaki. He managed to mix a perfect match for Stardust Silver from a NOS tank.

I'll be dropping the paintset for my Shed with him in the next few weeks so will post up some pic's.

Below is a couple of links showing the paint codes & process for all the Kawasaki Triples and some of the Zeds based on Years.

http://www.kawatriple.com/paint.html

http://www.kawatriple.com/paintmatch.html

http://www.kawatriple.com/72paint.jpg
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Bill P
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Bill P » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:50 am

Hey up
i use a painter in Ilkeston ex dream machine who can do you it in proper colour
he's done two for me and numerous other Z sets always spot on and a really good
price
PM me if you want his number

Bill

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi Garry
that information comes from the book Z1000 Z1-R written by Tony Sculpher. I didn't invent it!(it's written on page 127)
The colour charts are very interesting but you have to find that brand of paint to get the correct code for the paint you need.
Have you ever witnessed the proces of making a paint? It's amazing how many different colours are mixed to achieve the correct shade of a colour. Not only the colours matter but allso the amount of each. All together they produce the colour you need.
It's a kind of magic !!!
As I allways do the painting myself, it's crucial to get the correct paint from my local supplier. In the past he mixed the paint himself, now he goes to someone else who uses a spectograph in order to have the correct colour.
In return I have to provide a part with the original colour on. It's not allways easy to find such a part with the original colour on it! And the candy colours allways play tricks with the spectograph!
A great deal of the Kawasaki colours are candy . It takes a lot of experience to paint candy colours! One passing more or less of the spraygun can give a darker or lighter shade! As you can imagine I don't use candy paint, I allways use a paint that comes very close to the original but I can never achieve the same result of depth.
You allso have to consider that the original paint is 40 years old, it can be faded by the sun so if you want to respray only one part of the body you have to count that "aging" in when making a colour.
Mixing paints... a hard way to make a living!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

compo z1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#6 PostAuthor: compo z1r » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:47 pm

you can stick the codes where the sun don't shine its in the mixing :shock: had a batch done by rs paints too much fleck in it ? done from a nos tank not seen the light of day bike body work done by andrew parnaby good painter ? all was N O S PARTS every thing when put to bike all the shades were diffo ?

z1r tank2 007 tank 1 new.JPG

IMG_1460.JPG

1000s body work done by hutchy less fleck in it ? :D

IMG_2439[4031] 1000 paint.JPG

IMG_2455[3995] 1000s tank 2.JPG
THE ORIGINAL TARMAC TERRORIST

Z1000S !! Z1R Z810 [ project ] FZR 1000 RU KTM SXF 250 / 08 R6 and my dog zak.???

Z1OC # 886 till 2026

Bill P
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: Bill P » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:17 pm

heres my log range tank just back from painters perfectly matched
to my original paint Z1r what a painter :D
Attachments
IMG_0202.JPG
IMG_0203.JPG

alfacity