Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z900 A4 fuel leak any ideas please? (semi solved)

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Gray17
100Club
100Club

Re: Z900 A4 fuel leak any ideas please?

#166 PostAuthor: Gray17 » Sat May 11, 2024 11:03 am

Afternoon Guys, Firstly let me start by saying a big thank you to all who contributed in helping me solve the original leak issue, it proved to be poorly made pattern parts. I ended up buying full new Keyster gasket kits from Nigel and replaced everything from the kit, this cured the overflowing carb issue, unfortunately the poor running continues.
I have now bit the bullet and stripped the bike for a full rebore, new pistons and rings etc, had hoped i wouldnt have to do that, least not this year but had little choice, 1 cylinder already smoking, 2nd started and low compression on 2, so had to be done. On recomendation i have entrusted this to IMD who are also supplying the pistons, rings pins and circlips, all fully gapped and honed ready for fitment, only downside there very busy so bit of a wait, could have got them done by local engineering firm slightly cheaper but, think it better to have it all done by 1 company just in case any issues arise.
Will start a new post once barrells returned.
Thanks again
Last edited by Gray17 on Sat May 11, 2024 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wheelysteve
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Z900 A4 fuel leak any ideas please? (semi solved)

#167 PostAuthor: wheelysteve » Sat May 11, 2024 12:41 pm

I have used IMD for a rebore and piston kit for my A4. Excellent service and quick turnaround.
1975 Z1B Candy Red/Blue
1975 Dogs Z1B
1976 Z900 A4
1977 Z650B1
1978 Z650B2
1978 KZ1000D Z1R
Yam Tracer 900GT

PUM 710

Skid Mark
100Club
100Club

Re: Z900 A4 fuel leak any ideas please?

#168 PostAuthor: Skid Mark » Sat May 11, 2024 1:12 pm

Gray17 wrote:Afternoon Guys, Firstly let me start by saying a big thank you to all who contributed in helping me solve the original leak issue, it proved to be poorly made pattern parts. I ended up buying full new Keyster gasket kits from Nigel and replaced everything from the kit, this cured the overflowing carb issue, unfortunately the poor running continues.
I have now bit the bullet and stripped the bike for a full rebore, new pistons and rings etc, had hoped i wouldnt have to do that, least not this year but had little choice, 1 cylinder already smoking, 2nd started and low compression on 2, so had to be done. On recomendation i have 3 trusted this to IMD who are also supplying the pistons, rings pins and circlips, all fully gapped and honed ready for fitment, inly downside there very busy so bit of a wait, could have got them done by local engineering firm slightly cheaper but, think it better to have it all done by 1 company just in case any issues arise.
Will start a new post once barrells returned.
Thanks again

Good luck with the restoration. There is nothing as frustrating as putting effort into something and it not resolving the issue, or a new issue poking its head.
I think it’s a case of ‘Old bikes, old problems’ Hopefully this will sort it for you.

Return to “Bike Help”