Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Bike Help

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Bart Simpson

Bike Help

#1 PostAuthor: Bart Simpson » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:22 pm

Ok guess will try this again as hopefully won't offend anybody! Hi bart simpson here and greetings from west coast of Canada. Gotta line on a KZ1100A from a friend down in USA.It is an '81 shaftie with 30,000kms on it in fairly decent shape runs good but shite exhaust.I believe that this model/yr had J engine in it.Any members know of any inherent problems with these? Only asking the equivalent of 800.00 pounds. I know it is a shaftie and the quirks that go with shaft drive are well known to me as I had a Z1000 shaft when I lived in Cardiff a hundred yrs ago. Good all around bike and would be great for summer as MkII project is gonna be at least 2 or 3 yrs as wife just told me she wants another nipper!

chrisNI
Site Admin

#2 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:53 pm

Welcome to the forum. You won't offend anyone here and if you do - f**k 'em.

Some of the early Js had a bit of a reputation as oil burners was put down to bad boring at the factory. Later bikes didn't do it as the J engine evolved into the 1000R, 1100R AND GPZ engines so it wasn't a design weakness. Wouldn't let it put me you off though as any engine you buy with a few miles on it may need a bore and that would cure it. If it's not smoking with30,000 k on it it's no more likely to start now than any other bike of similar mileage.

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#3 PostAuthor: paul doran » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:24 pm

chrisNI wrote:Welcome to the forum. You won't offend anyone here and if you do - fuck 'em.

Some of the early Js had a bit of a reputation as oil burners was put down to bad boring at the factory. Later bikes didn't do it as the J engine evolved into the 1000R, 1100R AND GPZ engines so it wasn't a design weakness. Wouldn't let it put me you off though as any engine you buy with a few miles on it may need a bore and that would cure it. If it's not smoking with30,000 k on it it's no more likely to start now than any other bike of similar mileage.

now them is My kind of word's
welcome Me Shaftie and f**k em indeed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
way too many Zeds

Return to “Bike Help”