Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

zero compression!

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#16 PostAuthor: Pigford » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:39 pm

Even if they were out 180 degs..... should still get some compression :?? Assuming the valve don't get twatted :shock:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Steve R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#17 PostAuthor: Steve R » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:46 pm

The more I think about this the more I think the compression tester is knackered. Is it a screw in one or one with a rubber seal at the end? Try it on another engine? When the motor is turned over if you put your finger over the plug hole can you feel the pressure blow your finger off the hole?

Even if the cam timing is miles out if the valves are closing and they are cos there is a measurable clearance gap it would not matter when they are closing at some point there would be compression. They can not be open all the time if you have done the 28 pin thing. To get no compression across all 4 you would have to have bent a valve in each pot and I think you would know about that?

Wisco 1075 are 10.25 to 1 as a pose to standard 8.5 to 1 which would explain your 200psi.

dreadmanbastard

#18 PostAuthor: dreadmanbastard » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:29 pm

right, i think ive solved the problem.
timing chain was perfect on 28th mark but points were on the wrong T mark!
what a wally. i didnt know there was more than one T mark. idiot!
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
have changed it to 1/4 T mark. and realighned cams.
left it at that for tonight. cant handle the stress. felt like i was rushing things.

will finish it tomorrow.

there was suction and presurre when i put my finger over the spark holes.

will also check my gauge in a mower. its a gunsons, that i bought two weeks ago.
Last edited by dreadmanbastard on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m1ks
100Club
100Club

#19 PostAuthor: m1ks » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:42 pm

Quick and simple as said, seal the plug hole with your thumb or finger and kick the engine over or get someone else to, it should blow your finger off, if you feel ;;slight breath and it doesn't spit your finger out it's definitely got no compression.
Not much to go wrong with a compression tester.
Counting the teeth re the cam setup is fine it's getting the crank 180 out that will cause the probs and potential valve strike, (is it running high lift cams being a wiseco high comp setup?)

As much as I agree with other posters in hoping it's something simple like a damaged compression test i'd say the most likely culprit is a few bent valves.

If the finger test yields nothing whip the head off and check the seating of the valves against the head

dreadmanbastard

#20 PostAuthor: dreadmanbastard » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:17 am

nearly time to blow it up

sorted out the timing chain and cams. put back together.
Compression! Hurah or not as only geting 100ish two at 125psi.

Now im stuffed because ive taken off the coil to spark leads and not labbeled them. plonker.

can someone please explain which goes where?
i have dyna coils. one could explain it in series from top left, bottom left, top right , bottom right. make sense?#

my battery started fizzing a bit also, like when its first filled with acid. or on charge. i dont like it.
im actually starting to mentally calculate the price i might get for each part on ebay. Hard times.

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#21 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:49 am

Hi Dread , the coil with the black wire going to it serves number 1 + 4 both outer pots it does not matter which hole in the coil the leads go . And the coil with the green wire serves 2 + 3 again it does not matter which hole the leads go into on the coil as this is a wasted spark system .
As for the battery are you leaving the ignition on for long periods , the coils get very hot when this happens , could be why battery is fizzing , though not sure on this one.

dreadmanbastard

#22 PostAuthor: dreadmanbastard » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:43 pm

It Started!
:shock:
plumes of smoke and quite the odd misfire, but sounds as good if not better then it did previously so i dont think im gonna kill myself just yet.

took it up the drive and back (1/2 mile) and the smoke seems to have cleared. just doing the oil and filter change before a dest test out tommorrow.

thank you! thank you thank you.

- chrisu, Steve R, Pigford, Gez635,m1ks and kev edwards!
couldnt ave done it without you!
:wink:

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#23 PostAuthor: Pigford » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:46 pm

Good on yer.... lucky escape....... Get some miles on the beasty.... heatwave coming :twisted:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Steve R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#24 PostAuthor: Steve R » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:45 pm

Well done, good luck, remember to retorque the head bolts after just a few miles.

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#25 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:02 am

well done Dread have to see pics sometime , bet you were grinning from ear to ear when she fired up , good luck.

GEZ635
100Club
100Club

#26 PostAuthor: GEZ635 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:51 am

It was a pleasure Dread.Well done, you did very well. Full restoration next????? Second thoughts, just ride and enjoy the freedom.

Gez
Gez

chrisu

#27 PostAuthor: chrisu » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:10 am

excellent - thats got do go down as a major phew...........

Hobbo
International Rep

ZED

#28 PostAuthor: Hobbo » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:09 pm

Dread

Whip your head off and pour fuel or wd 40 down the valve ports with cam lobe pointing away from bucket .This will show any leakage on any valves that are still open when should be shut had this problem last week but only on no4 now sorted

phil
Never Dull in Hull Watch no 31

International Rep

Return to “Bike Help”