Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

still carb probs with z1a

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

floydsz1
Hardcore
Hardcore

still carb probs with z1a

#1 PostAuthor: floydsz1 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:11 pm

Still got a problem with me Z1A,
engine is standard and rebuilt 1000mls ago, standard pipes,new air filter, just fitted keyster carb kits,new needles jets etc, needle clip on middle position (no 3), was ok before but i thought new is better, runs ok apart from pulling away from stop. If i just open the throttle a very little i can get the engine to stop, it often stalls when pulling away. after about 2000 revs its fine even up to 130mph on the clock (just done that today on my own private road), just done about 200mls this weekend to a triumph rally (won best jap :D ), noticed that number 1 and 2 down pipes have yellowed slightly, 3 and 4 are fine, air screws 1 1/2 turns out, tried them 2 turns and even 1 turn out but still same. does'nt seem to do it while its cold, only when its warmed up. The warmer it gets the worse it seems.
ANY IDEAS ANYONE :?? :??

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:15 pm

Hmmmm.... This stalling is NOT uncommon on std set ups :?? coz they were built to run a bit lean for emissions :!:

Probably a bit lean on pilot jet....... I'd of thought winding air screw in a bit would help :?: Fule/float height OK... if a bit fuel in bowls is a bit low, will lean it out. Could try raising needle a clip...... :shock:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

floydsz1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: floydsz1 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:22 pm

Cheers Mark,

Strange how it didnt do it before i put the new kits in.
fuel level ok as ive one off the kawasaki screw in level measuring tools. will have a go at raising needles. might even try fitting old pilot jets.

Hobbo
International Rep

carbs

#4 PostAuthor: Hobbo » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:51 pm

Floydz

hAD SAME PROBLEM WITH MY Z1A TRIED EVERYTHING FINALLY BORROWED ANOTHER SET OF A PAL AND F**K ME ITS LIKE A NEW BIKE AND A PLEASURE TO RIDE . ON THE SEARCH FOR ANOTHER SET NOW COZ HE WANTS EM BACK BUT BEEN THE SUPER TOP MECHANIC HE IS HE MIGHT DO A DEAL . ONLY SAYING THIS COZ HE WILL SEE IT WONT YA MARTIN.

PHIL
Never Dull in Hull Watch no 31

International Rep

floydsz1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: floydsz1 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:57 pm

Hi Phil,
I would be interested in buying/ px or whatever some carbs that are known to be ok. Even borrowing some as i am off to fort william in scotland on the 6th off july for a few days and would like to go on me Z1A. If your SUPER TOP MECHANIC would do a deal with me :wink: :wink: i would be forever grateful.
peter.

Rich
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Rich » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:57 pm

If you have two pilot holes into the venturi make sure the smaller one is clear.
Rich
diplomacy is a form of art - I was never any good at art

floydsz1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: floydsz1 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:24 pm

just fitted the old pilot jets and the stalling has gone. it just runs rough on tickover but still seems very good above 2000 rpm.(pulls to the red line ok). The engine feels hot, ie, top off crankcase above clutch is very hot to the touch (maybe its just me thinking its too hot) and still seems to yellow number 1 and 2 downpipes . 3 and 4 are perfect. when its cold it runs very good, needs about 3 miles and it starts to run rough.

would fit some other carbs to eliminate mine,if anyone has any for sale

Return to “Bike Help”