Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

garret turbo

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

hillbilly
Hardcore
Hardcore

garret turbo

#1 PostAuthor: hillbilly » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:11 pm

would it be possible to shoehorn a garret turbo off a 300 td merc engine ,onto a 900. :evil:
push me shuv you.sez who sez me.
owing p.u.m. (76 z1b)(v reg z1r)

Pasc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#2 PostAuthor: Pasc » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:54 pm

Hillbilly, it's probably possible to squeeze it in but you need to be looking at the A/F number that should be on the outside of the unit somewhere. This number will give you and idea whether the compressor and turbine are suitable for your engine. I guess you're looking for something like .53 to be any use. But I'm guessing it could be a big un seeing as it came of a 3ltr D.

Pasc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: Pasc » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:38 pm

You're welcome.

hillbilly
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: hillbilly » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:28 pm

its still on the car at the moment,i havent bought it yet,still bartering,but thank you for answering the thread,i dont have a clue what an a/f number is,or what numbers will tell me. :wink: a good freind once told me,you can put anything in anything engine wise,its just down to you to weld the mounts on were they need to be. :lol:

ted1r
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#5 PostAuthor: ted1r » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:47 pm

Dont know a lot about turbo`s but I think the pressures work differently from a petrol to a diesel.I could be wrong but my diesel Ford granada blows almost from the low revs through to the high ones.But what the hell try it.

Ted
"Work this is why I did it"

KE250
KZ1200
Puch Maxi
Be careful with Pensions :e
and me ol Granada

Pasc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: Pasc » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:00 pm

:D
Billy, Ted could be right about the pressures. I also think I'm right in saying the diesel chargers also have a different type of seals to the petrol units. Using a diesel charger on a petrol engine might destroy the seals quite rapidly. With it being from a diesel you might find fitted to a z9 it might take a while to spool up and by the time it's making any real boost your engine may be running out of steam.
You might be wise to keep your eyes out for a Garrett T2 or T25. The T2's were fitted to Renault 5s and I think the T25 was fitted to the Nissan 200sx amongst others. They are both fairly common turbos and rebuild kits are not too expensive

hillbilly
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: hillbilly » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:13 pm

cheers for that lads :wink:

Return to “Bike Help”