Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

New Master Cylinder

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Steve R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

New Master Cylinder

#1 PostAuthor: Steve R » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:57 pm

Still trying to bleed the brakes to get a decent feel. Now the master cylinder is leaking slightly from where the lever is.

Can this be why I can not get all the air out?

Front end on mine is off a z1000 a2 so its got the triangular master cylinder and twin discs. A rebuild kit is about £25 or Z power have some PMC round ones for £150 which I am quite tempted by?

https://www.z-power.co.uk/merchantmanag ... cts_id=819

Originality is not an issue :lol: but its got to look right.

Has any one rebuilt amaster cylinder succesfully when ever I have they allways seem to leak again quite quickly?

I did look to see what else would do AP?

Any suggestions for anything that looks good and maybe up grades the brakes as well?

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:38 pm

Steve, just about any master cylinder from a twin disc set up should do the job. It should be marked 5/8 somewhere, normally underneath. Check out ebay for something from a ZX9R or ZX7R.
If your original master cylinder leaks fluid, then it will also be able to draw in air, so I guess that could be your problem.

paulstrees
100Club
100Club

z1000a2

#3 PostAuthor: paulstrees » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:16 pm

Steve
Rebuild the master cylinder with a genuine kawasaki kit £32 this should sort the problem. ( I presume you,ve tried all the usual techniques for bleeding ) if the cylinder is leaking fluid from the seal then its buggered!
Paul

Jerry
President
President

#4 PostAuthor: Jerry » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:29 pm

Steve, Before you buy a kit, strip the cylinder and check the bore for marks or pitting. If the bore is buggered it's a waste to put a new seal in.

DAVE LEWIS

Master cyl

#5 PostAuthor: DAVE LEWIS » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:07 pm

I've a Z650 one on my 900 as the original would not stop leaking, with old cylinders sometimes best to try to pressure bleed or reverse bleed then you dont push the old seal across its full travel.

I also some times fill the master cylinder up and hold the leaver in with a cable tie and leave it for a few days. but they are a pain to bleed.

Dave L

sp.milne
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: sp.milne » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:26 pm

Steve had the same problem with mine late week. strip it down and make sure its spotless before you buy a seal kit as mine stopped leaking once reassembled, it took a while to get the fluid round the system you just have to keep pumping the lever.

Steve R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: Steve R » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:16 pm

Thanks for all the replies, I think I will get a new one if they have any, dont like taking chances with brakes. Might put my copy of DM s book on e bay to fund it!! :lol:

Steve R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: Steve R » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:43 am

Just a quick update, got a new mastercylinder from Z Power, usual excellent service, rang on wednesday arrived on thursday. Put it on yesterday, looks miles better than the triangle one and managed to bleed it in half an hour to perfection.
So there you go all that pratting around I reckon the old master cylinder was on the way and every time I was trying to pump it, it was letting a tiny bit of air in.
Anyway glad to be back on the road :lol: :lol:

Return to “Bike Help”