Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Is this a Standard Colour

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

martinz1b
100Club
100Club

Is this a Standard Colour

#1 PostAuthor: martinz1b » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:11 pm

I have seen quite a few Zeds with this colour scheme, it is a lot lighter than my original Z1B blue paint work. Is it an original colour or just someone's own design. If it is standard does anyone know what colour it is?

Thanks

floydsz1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: floydsz1 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:37 pm

I know all the zed paint colours where slightly different to each other but that does look too light a blue.

martinz1b
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: martinz1b » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:47 pm

floydsz1 wrote:I know all the zed paint colours where slightly different to each other but that does look too light a blue.

Yep, that's what I thought. I really like it, I just bought the tailpiece and side panel off Ebay for £34 and they are almost in mint condition and original parts, I was just hoping to identify the colour and make my spare tank the same. Oh well :(

Garn 1
ZedHead
ZedHead

#4 PostAuthor: Garn 1 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:31 am

Durham, of all the Z1 series, the most debated, as regading colour, is the Z1B blue. Everyone believes they have it right! I have a friend who purchased a new Z1B duck-tail in 1977 and swears by it. I have seen a Doremy (Japan reproduction) set that is more royal blue. At present a friend has just imported an original Z1B tank set from USA (a dash of green at some angles). Another mate imported the a repro' Z1B set from Z1 Enterprises and he swears by it!

So, I guess it's what you like, when it comes to the blue. Or you could use the rule of consensus. The latest is they are backing Erik's.. Blue with a greenish look at some angles! Colours get confusing when viewed via different monitors.

After thought... There is even a variation in the gold paint/ transfer on the Z1B lower section.

RegardZ
Garn (Sydney) Z1, Z1A, Z1B and Z900-A4

martinz1b
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: martinz1b » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:51 am

I bought my Z1B in 1977 with a few thousand miles on the clock, I would hope that that is the original blue but I can't be certain. The picture I have posted actually shows the tailpiece a little darker than it actually is, I was hoping it would be a known colour off a later model of Z1000 etc. I am going to see if I can get it matched and make up a full set for my other 900.

Thanks for the info Garn, I didn't know there had been variations on the transfers as well.

floydsz1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: floydsz1 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:09 am

When kawasaki painted them in the 70's it depended on each guy who painted them, some would maybe put thicker layers of paint etc depending on his mood etc so they were all slightly different. If you lost a side panel of your new bike back in the 70's and ordered a new one from kawasaki there was a good chance it would be slightly different shade to the original tank etc.
I always like it when they are painted in different colours but in the same style etc, stops them all being the same.

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: mick znone » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:05 am

i saw those on ebay durham, i like the colour too. what about sending a panel off to Hutch? he may be able to help. well done, £34 a snip.
I DONT CARE, IN OR OUT BUT IM ENJOYING THE DEBATE......................ARMSTRONG MT500. a pushbike, waves.....addict, no offence

martinz1b
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: martinz1b » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:21 am

mick z1a wrote:i saw those on ebay durham, i like the colour too. what about sending a panel off to Hutch? he may be able to help. well done, £34 a snip.

They were just down the road from me so it was easy to collect them and avoid postage, I am going to have a word with my nephew, he is in the trade and may get me a good deal with the paint work. The colour is very nice and would make any bike look good, whoever painted these panels was a professional they are nicely done, that is why I was guessing they could be a standard colour.

jonhunt
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: jonhunt » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:28 am

Theres another side pannel on e bay that looks similar

martinz1b
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: martinz1b » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:58 am

jonhunt wrote:Theres another side pannel on e bay that looks similar

Is this the one you mean Jon? http://tinyurl.com/oyu75r I have bought some bits off this seller before and they have always been good. But I am looking for a Z900A4 left hand panel to match the one I have.

phil churchett
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: phil churchett » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:11 am

durhamz1b wrote:
jonhunt wrote:Theres another side pannel on e bay that looks similar

Is this the one you mean Jon? http://tinyurl.com/oyu75r I have bought some bits off this seller before and they have always been good. But I am looking for a Z900A4 left hand panel to match the one I have.

The seller posts on here, same user name.
Four pipes rule, anything else is second best.

Return to “Bike Help”