Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

cams

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

big green bus
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

cams

#1 PostAuthor: big green bus » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:13 pm

has anybody know where i can get cams repaired ? i have found a pair of yoshi cams in a box of bike stuff from a auto jumble. they fill fit a gpz1100 but have been used as a boat anchor and need sorting.

mikey
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: mikey » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Not sure if you could be wasting your time trying to get them done, cuz i had a set of gixer cams i wanted repairing and took them to a couple of engineering shops and they both said once the hard casings worn through or rust spots develop and penetrate the hard casing thats it theyre ready for the bin, couldve been fobing me off cuz maybe they didnt want to do it.
Making the world a shiny place with a factory finish

AndyZ1R
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: AndyZ1R » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:43 am

I had some 2nd hand Web cams that were a little worn, they got reprofiled by Kent cams and came back fine, no problem. They weren`t that bad in the first place though so it depends what yours are like, give them a try!

debben1
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: debben1 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:06 am

Hello Big Green Bus, do you have the camshaft timing sheet with these cams, if not the camshafts probably more work than you want, you might be able to identify the camshafts by a number on the cam sprocket shoulder (this is called the grind number, if you have this then you can probably resaerch the timing figures) the grind number will also help you to find out how suitable these cams would be for you application, anything over 410" lift will require a shim under bucket set up, although 395" lift is a safer limit. With more lift you will need to machine the cylinder head and possibly cam cover for clearance, check the guides have been changed too as stock guides can be too tall, with higher lift cams you will need suitable valve springs that will give adequate seat pressure and not become coil bound, Steve

big green bus
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: big green bus » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:18 am

hi steve the cams are on standard sprockets, looks like they have been slotted all i can see on them is POPY no numbers but they look like they have been stored in someones arsehole. i will clean them and get back to you

Return to “Bike Help”