Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Any opinions on this one?

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

coldsummer
Hardcore
Hardcore

Any opinions on this one?

#1 PostAuthor: coldsummer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:33 am

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/de ... 6336825583

Noticed this one at Chequered Flag and wondered what you more experienced guys think about it?

First impressions are it's a bit pricey for a 'bitsa' but it seems to have been done quite well and I quite like the idea of more modern running gear without altering the basic character too much. I don't especially like the colour scheme and the front fender looks a bit bulky but those could be easily rectified.

Anybody got any thoughts?

MaineKZ
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#2 PostAuthor: MaineKZ » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:17 pm

I'm more of a traditionalist - just a personal preference - but I would say that, at that price, you could quite easily find yourself a nice clean unmolested 74 or 75 Z1A / Z1B to ride as is, fettle up or full-blown restore.
Difficult to justify spending that kinda dosh on a 'special' when there are so many cheap modern retros available - not the least of which is the mighty Yammie XJR! :D

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:22 pm

Doesn't look too bad to me, if you want something modified.
I guess you could easily spend £4.5k buying a doner bike & modifying it yourself. (I know :shock: )
Just need to ask yourself if you want somebody else's creation or if you would rather 'breath life' into something of your own.
If you're not into spannering, then this could be the way to go. I'm sure you could get the price down by £500, if not more!
Good luck!

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: mick znone » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:33 pm

wasn't someone selling a z1000 in light blue on here a while back, a really nice bike with mods???? bit blummin cheaper than that. personally, ive bought a standard z1a with the intention of modding it a bit, while keeping the standard bits. that way i can sell it as standard [should i wish to] then sell the mod bits, loose a lot less money that way. just an idea :idea:
I DONT CARE, IN OR OUT BUT IM ENJOYING THE DEBATE......................ARMSTRONG MT500. a pushbike, waves.....addict, no offence

steve bowdler
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#5 PostAuthor: steve bowdler » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:10 pm

There are a couple of tidy z1000 on ebay at the moment if you like modded hoe about this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KAWASAKI-Z1000-A1 ... 7C294%3A50

or fairly standard

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KAWASAKI-Z1000_W0 ... 7C294%3A50

phil churchett
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Any opinions on this one?

#6 PostAuthor: phil churchett » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:05 pm

coldsummer wrote:http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/dealerservices_photoad.jsp?did=19492&pageid=1&id=200926336825583

Noticed this one at Chequered Flag and wondered what you more experienced guys think about it?

First impressions are it's a bit pricey for a 'bitsa' but it seems to have been done quite well and I quite like the idea of more modern running gear without altering the basic character too much. I don't especially like the colour scheme and the front fender looks a bit bulky but those could be easily rectified.

Anybody got any thoughts?

It's ok, but i reckon you could do better than that, for less money.
The two that Steve has listed above both look better buys, [depending on the final price].
Four pipes rule, anything else is second best.

Steve R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: Steve R » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:42 pm

Agree with Phil, looks nice but too much cash.

chrisNI
Site Admin

#8 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:49 pm

That second blue one reserve not met at £1500 has very little done to it - the black one has some better bits. The Chequed Flag one is a bit dear at that price but it's coming out of a dealers and it's all built up. At that price I'd like to see some evidence that the engine has had a bit of sorting out. It's quite hard to value stuff these days especially modified bikes which frequently have a load more money in them than a standard bike but might be harder to sell.

lta01
Regular Poster

#9 PostAuthor: lta01 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:57 pm

Reecy will be along soon to fill you all in. It was his bike, offered on here and sold on ebay .
He who dies with the most toys wins .

coldsummer
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: coldsummer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:42 pm

lta01 wrote:Reecy will be along soon to fill you all in. It was his bike, offered on here and sold on ebay .

That would be interesting!

Thanks for all your opinions. I agree with the general feeling that it is a bit too much money but then I guess it would be easy to sink that much into a project starting from scratch with a stocker.

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: tlc » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:56 pm

Just remember that you never get back what you spend.

Therefore whilst seeming on the steep side, that bike may be value due to what has been spent and the fact that the dealer has rent / rates to pay.

I bought my bike with nothing needing spending on it.

However £2k later I`m still not done :shock:
Asphalt Cowboy Z1100R, 1981 Z1000J

Reecy
100Club
100Club

Z1000

#12 PostAuthor: Reecy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:01 pm

Coldsummer,

Can't help commenting...............the Z1000 was mine.

The bike runs well, rides and stops well-and cost me quite a bit to build-as every one says-- you never get back the money you spend on projects-but the fun is in the buidling and that is what made it worth while.

I sold it on e bay and the guy who bought it has to make a living but i was very surprised to see it up for that price--one of two things apply:-

I sold too cheap...........or maybe he sells for too much?? but i am not bitching about it, that is how it is.

Having said that a bike is worth what someone will pay for it--it depends how much they like it.

What i can say is that i worked hard at doing a proper job of it and have had many compliments while i was out and about on it.

I only sold it because...................well i am not too sure really, it was a good bike.

If you are interested in the build details send me a pm and i'll tell you how it got to where it is now.

Regards

Reecy

coldsummer
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Z1000

#13 PostAuthor: coldsummer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:34 pm

Reecy wrote:Coldsummer,

Can't help commenting...............the Z1000 was mine.

The bike runs well, rides and stops well-and cost me quite a bit to build-as every one says-- you never get back the money you spend on projects-but the fun is in the buidling and that is what made it worth while.

I sold it on e bay and the guy who bought it has to make a living but i was very surprised to see it up for that price--one of two things apply:-

I sold too cheap...........or maybe he sells for too much?? but i am not bitching about it, that is how it is.

Having said that a bike is worth what someone will pay for it--it depends how much they like it.

What i can say is that i worked hard at doing a proper job of it and have had many compliments while i was out and about on it.

I only sold it because...................well i am not too sure really, it was a good bike.

If you are interested in the build details send me a pm and i'll tell you how it got to where it is now.

Regards

Reecy

PM sent

Return to “Bike Help”