Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Coil Burner

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

bigmac103
100Club
100Club

Coil Burner

#1 PostAuthor: bigmac103 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:38 pm

Hi Guyz,
Having a bit of trouble with me Z900A4. The other day one of the coils burned out. I had a spare, I wasn't sure of condition I just fiitted it and it worked. About a week later (500 miles) this one burnt out! I fitted another old spare I had and guess what within 50 miles this bugger burnt out. Coincidence, two dodgy spare coils or is something burning them out? I've got some Dyna green coils on their way and I don't want the same happening to them! Any ideas, as always very much appreciated.
B
Lost in the desert somewhere

lta01
Regular Poster

#2 PostAuthor: lta01 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:58 pm

check your regulator output voltage. Duff regulator on Davejames bike saw off both coils, and a handful of bulbs as well.

make sure battery is well charged when you check the reguulator output voltage, should never go over 15 volts, usually starts low , rises to a max at 3-4,000 rpm, then starts falling a bit .
He who dies with the most toys wins .

PaulMceleney
Chunks

#3 PostAuthor: PaulMceleney » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:03 pm

check your battery it might have boiled dry if this is the case your only knacker another set of coils if the battery is dry you need to check your voltage regulator you can get one from westcountry windings 01279 731172 they are very cheap i would say around the forty pounds

bigmac103
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: bigmac103 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:34 am

I borrowed some know good coils and strapped a volt meter to the bike, voltage seems ok. Maximum 14.7 volts so far. The battery seems fine also, it didn´t boil dry so I am suspecting I did have 2 dodgy coils. Hopefully I´ll get the Green coils this weekend so I can fit them with confidence, touch wood.
Useful contact and advice thanks Guyz.
Lost in the desert somewhere

Return to “Bike Help”