Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Carburettor Needle position

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

hal
Regular Poster

Carburettor Needle position

#1 PostAuthor: hal » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:46 am

Just cleaning my Z1B carbs and fitting a rebuild kit i noticed the needle circlip was on the second groove from the top. The manual says third groove from the top is this correct for 1975 Z1B ?

GEZ635
100Club
100Club

#2 PostAuthor: GEZ635 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:04 pm

third groove.
Gez

hal
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: hal » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:13 pm

Thanks for that

kwaknik

#4 PostAuthor: kwaknik » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:18 pm

I am also stripping the carbs on a Z1B and circlip is also on the 2nd groove. Running K&N's. Would someone have moved the clip because of this change? Have got a rich mixture and fouling plugs. Needle and jets are as per manual.

Z1B Alan
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: Z1B Alan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:57 pm

Not wishing to upset anybody but my Clymer manual clearly states the circlip position is the second groove from the top :|
Kwaknik the fitting of aftermarket filters would normaly require the richening of the mixture so as you progress with the carb refurb check the correct mains are fitted and not bigger one's.
As always I stand to be corrected and this is just my understanding of the Clymer manual :)
They run, They break , You spend and so it goes on

kwaknik

#6 PostAuthor: kwaknik » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:28 am

Thanks for the reply Alan. The Clymer and Haynes manuals seem to be at odds here regarding the circlip position. I am running a 112.5 main jet but have a refurb kit but no stamping on the replacement. Maybe naive in assuming it is the same. The existing needle is 5J9 and the replacement looks to have a longer taper. I will mic the diameter to check the two. Also running a Kerker 4 into 1. Bike has always run rich, even more so since Kerker fitted as replacement for unknown brand equivalent with very little baffling. Only on carb 1 so may have more suprises as I continue!

Return to “Bike Help”