Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z900 seat lock.....A strange question

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

martinz1b
100Club
100Club

Z900 seat lock.....A strange question

#1 PostAuthor: martinz1b » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:44 pm

Does anyone know if the key barrel is removable from the body of the seat lock, this is the later style lock as fitted to Z650/900/1000. I can only find ones for sale without keys but I will be able to make my key fit if I can slide the barrel out.

I don't want to waste any money before I know the answer :roll:

Thanks

Gus
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: Gus » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:47 pm

Yes you can.

You have to remove or drill out the spring pin in the side of the body if I remember rightly.
"Set the GRINDER on it"

martinz1b
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: martinz1b » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:53 pm

Gus wrote:Yes you can.

You have to remove or drill out the spring pin in the side of the body if I remember rightly.

Brilliant, thanks for that Gus, I was sure they would but with my luck I didn't want to risk it.

Mart

Gus
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Gus » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:15 pm

I looked into this myself.

It should be able to get replacement keys if you can read the key number off the front face of the barrel.
"Set the GRINDER on it"

martinz1b
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: martinz1b » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:37 pm

I wanted to keep the keys to the minimum, so I will use my key to file the tumblers once it is out of the body :shock:

Jumbo
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: Jumbo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Yes this can be done as I bought a new lock set from Ebay and it was for the earlier Z's as mine is an A4. But I removed the barrel from the seat lock and fitted the new one inside. As said above you have to drill out the pin, a fiddley job but now my bike is on one key. Obviously the ignition key is a far better fit as it is new !

http://www.z1ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vie ... highlight=
LE to JOG on a z900

P.U.M.

Steve Cooke
ZedHead
ZedHead

#7 PostAuthor: Steve Cooke » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:24 pm

I,ve just done this myself, on the latter type lock which I think you're talking about it doesn't have a pin, it has a little flat plate which is slid into a slot in the alloy body and the outer edge of that slot is bent over the plate to hold it in, therefore it's simple to remove, on the earlier Z1 type it is a little pin which is about 0.7 or less which you drill out being careful that you don't go too far and go into the cylinder itself, Also at the back end of the cylinder is a hole that locates onto a pin in the lock body this is what operates the lock, on the earlier type it is out by 180 degrees so you have to drill another hole in the right place if you wanted to use an earlier cylinder in a later lock body.
Hope you get the gist.

martinz1b
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: martinz1b » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:32 pm

Steven Cooke wrote:I,ve just done this myself, on the latter type lock which I think you're talking about it doesn't have a pin, it has a little flat plate which is slid into a slot in the alloy body and the outer edge of that slot is bent over the plate to hold it in, therefore it's simple to remove, on the earlier Z1 type it is a little pin which is about 0.7 or less which you drill out being careful that you don't go too far and go into the cylinder itself, Also at the back end of the cylinder is a hole that locates onto a pin in the lock body this is what operates the lock, on the earlier type it is out by 180 degrees so you have to drill another hole in the right place if you wanted to use an earlier cylinder in a later lock body.
Hope you get the gist.

I know what you mean, I fitted a new lock barrel to my Z1B seat lock. It was fairly straightforward, then I went and lost the sliding plate that fits onto the opening handle :x I am still looking for that part :(

Return to “Bike Help”