Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Carbs, bloody carbs

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

BShaw
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#16 PostAuthor: BShaw » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:43 pm

only trying to cheer you up by taking the mick out of myself as you sounded near to kicking the cat... hope all goes ok tomorrow.
Baza

I had the day off from school when we did inglish.

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#17 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:12 am

My sister has lived in Rosyth for about twenty years now , she's says she has saved enough to be an honoury scot , now she is saving up to be jewish. :lol:

Let us know how the carbs work out m1ks :)

m1ks
100Club
100Club

#18 PostAuthor: m1ks » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:54 pm

Thanks for the thought, i'd rather kick a person before I thought of kicking my cat though, in fact I can think of several people i'd happily kick, generally speaking.
:)
Oooh, saving up to be jewish, that's going to take a wee while :)
On that note, did you know that 50p pieces were invented for the scots, so if necessary shopkeepers could use a spanner to remove them from your tightly clenched fist.

Having left the carbs sitting on a piece of rag in a drain pan overnight with the foat bowls full through the pipe things look OK currently, will refit them, probably tomorrow, typically the weather is crap and is forecast to be so over the weekend :(, we'll see how it goes however

m1ks
100Club
100Club

#19 PostAuthor: m1ks » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:42 pm

OK, enough is enough I have had it with these m**********ng needle jets on this m**********ng carb.

Got them better than before certainly, still had a bit of dribblage and in total have stripped all four twice and two an extra twice to fettle them, just going to say stuff it and get another set of needle jets and seats from zpower.
Meanwhile i'm fitting me thruxton pipes and going to relish in the throaty roar of zedness and hopefully get an hour or two of dry-ish weather in which to go and have a play while it's not pouring fuel out like a mid air refuelling tanker. Fingers crossed it stays reasonable for the minute.

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#20 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:15 pm

It was worth a try m1ks , :|

m1ks
100Club
100Club

#21 PostAuthor: m1ks » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:12 pm

It was well worth a try and a bloody good idea, (i was just having a melodramatic Samuel L Jackson moment, pay no heed to my rants) :)
I'll add as well that (so far and fingers crossed it's made a difference to the point where it's rideable, based on having it running and having a tilt and bounce test, (not had it out of the shed and run properly yet as it's just lousy weatherwise today), so at least, weather permitting tomorrow, i'll be able to get a bit of riding in whilst waiting for the replacement jets.
Tried the teeth thing on no#1 which I last stripped before the refit, there was a definite ridge to be felt though you'd have sworn that it wasn't badly worn at all, that's also quite a handy little thing to know.
Theres a standard on/off/res tap on zpower which i'am waiting to check on the bolt spacing of to see if it'll replace the POS vacuum tap, (weird, never had a problem with the one on my old ZZR250 but this ones been a pain, give me one I can switch off anyday), i'll order it same time as the needle valves if so but it means I can't place the order till monday.

On the other thing, I've got my Thruxton exhausts fitted, they're basically short reverse cone trumpets which are straight through with adbsorption baffles, much like a race can for a sportbike, they sound bloody lovely.
Will sort a wee video and stick it on shortly

Stagman
Regular Poster

Re: Carbs, bloody carbs

#22 PostAuthor: Stagman » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:13 am

hi Guys,

I’m working on my Z650F3 carbs and the manual says float height is 18.5mm in the Clymer supplement for later model section. However it isn’t clear as to where this dimension is set on the float itself. There is a flat portion where the hinge arm connects and then a step down to the curved section of the float. Using the wrong portion would be a significant error. I’m thinking it ought to be the flat section, but with the floats resting on the needle valves, if I set them using this flat portion, they are only a mm or so away from the tops of them bottoming on the carb body.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I can’t find clarity

Regards and thanks in advance for any help

mark

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#23 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:14 am

Stagman wrote:hi Guys,

I’m working on my Z650F3 carbs and the manual says float height is 18.5mm in the Clymer supplement for later model section. However it isn’t clear as to where this dimension is set on the float itself. There is a flat portion where the hinge arm connects and then a step down to the curved section of the float. Using the wrong portion would be a significant error. I’m thinking it ought to be the flat section, but with the floats resting on the needle valves, if I set them using this flat portion, they are only a mm or so away from the tops of them bottoming on the carb body.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I can’t find clarity

Regards and thanks in advance for any help

mark

With the carbs inverted you measure from the bare gasket face to the bottom of the actual float.

Like this -
maxresdefault.jpg

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#24 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:09 am

Your best bet is to actually measure the fuel height. Ideally it needs to be in the middle of the rim on the top of thee float bowl. (1 to 3 mm from the base of the carb body).
Check them and adjust the float heights accordingly. (i.e level too low, lower the float height a tad).
Measured float height doesn't always equate to correct actual fuel level...
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

Stagman
Regular Poster

#25 PostAuthor: Stagman » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:53 pm

Thanks for that appreciate the reply. I will use the float radiussed part at the tan point and then check the level on assy

Regards

Return to “Bike Help”