Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1B AIR BOX FITTING

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

martinz1b
100Club
100Club

Z1B AIR BOX FITTING

#1 PostAuthor: martinz1b » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:49 pm

I am trying to refit my carbs to my old air box, as usual the rubber has stiffened up due to age. Has anyone any tips to make this easier, I am about to throw the bike over a cliff :shock:
I thought this would be a simple job but it is turning into a nightmare. I am sorely tempted to fit my K&N's but I am trying to use that as a last resort.

Thanks
Mart

hal
Regular Poster

air box

#2 PostAuthor: hal » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:10 pm

Been down this road with my z1b
i resorted to getting e new craft knife blade and slightly chamfering the air filter inlets so they slide over the sharp edges of the carbs, also its easier if you remove the battery box because then you can get your hand behind the air box to give it a push, using a silicone spray like back to black also helps.

martinz1b
100Club
100Club

Re: air box

#3 PostAuthor: martinz1b » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:44 pm

hal wrote:Been down this road with my z1b
i resorted to getting e new craft knife blade and slightly chamfering the air filter inlets so they slide over the sharp edges of the carbs, also its easier if you remove the battery box because then you can get your hand behind the air box to give it a push, using a silicone spray like back to black also helps.

That's a good idea removing the battery box, I will give it a try. I am heating the rubber up and placing a large socket into the openings until it is cool hoping it will widen them permanently. I had some silicone spray but as I got one on the first one slipped off :evil:

Thanks for the tips Hal.
Mart

zedrider
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: zedrider » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:34 pm

one thing ive done in the past to get stiff ones back on is to warm them with a hair dryer . if you fit new ones try coating the inside of them with vasaline . hope this helps .
zed

martinz1b
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: martinz1b » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:53 pm

zedrider wrote:one thing ive done in the past to get stiff ones back on is to warm them with a hair dryer . if you fit new ones try coating the inside of them with vasaline . hope this helps .

Thanks, I have pulled the airbox out of the frame and I have it fastened to the carbs, I used a paint stripping gun carefully to heat it up. I am hoping it will hold its shape if left for a while :roll:

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:23 pm

Get some silicon spray like dashboard cleaner put rubbers into a plastic bag fill with the silicon spray and leave for a couple of days with top tied this sometimes works quite well Cheers Paulj..
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

martinz1b
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: martinz1b » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:27 pm

PAULJAC47 wrote:Get some silicon spray like dashboard cleaner put rubbers into a plastic bag fill with the silicon spray and leave for a couple of days with top tied this sometimes works quite well Cheers Paulj..

Thanks Paulj, I've never heard of that one but I am going to try it this week.

Mart

martinz1b
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: martinz1b » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:24 pm

durhamz1b wrote:
PAULJAC47 wrote:Get some silicon spray like dashboard cleaner put rubbers into a plastic bag fill with the silicon spray and leave for a couple of days with top tied this sometimes works quite well Cheers Paulj..

This actually worked quite well, after almost giving up and binning the airbox I took Pauljac47's advice and left the box in a bin liner for a couple of days and they are now fitted to the bike. Thank F***k.

Thanks again PAULJAC47 and everyone else who helped.
Mart

Return to “Bike Help”