Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Throtle Slide Adjustment

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

angeleddie
Regular Poster

Throtle Slide Adjustment

#1 PostAuthor: angeleddie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:16 pm

Hello Z poeple

I am aware that the throttle slides on my 26mm carbs (Z1000a1) should be set to .7 The question I have is at what position should the throttle stop screw be at prior to making the adjustment?
The carbs are currently off the bike.

Any advice would be appreciatted

Thanks

Angeleddie

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:31 pm

Not 100% sure what you are asking...... :??

Assume you're going to balance the carbs by setting the slides at 0.7mm open? Using a drill bit or something?????

Any size drill bits ok.... 0.5mm - 5.0mm would do, as long as all same across the 4 carbs. Throttle stop should be wound open (unscrewed a bit) so its not doing anything whilst setting carbs up :P
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

DogsbolloxofZ1B
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: DogsbolloxofZ1B » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:08 pm

On a z1 the distance between the top of the bracket and underside of the adjuster thumwheel is 10mm, I think the others are basically the same. Trick is to decide which remains your master (Normally No.4) and leave that one alone otherwise you end-up going around in circles to get them all spot-on.

BShaw
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#4 PostAuthor: BShaw » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:00 pm

if you need to know more Eddie, I am sure that one of us will do our best to tell you how. It would be easier to tell you over the phone, to be honest, well for me it would any way, as it's a 10 min job that would take me 15 Min's to type up.
Baza

I had the day off from school when we did inglish.

Garn 1
ZedHead
ZedHead

#5 PostAuthor: Garn 1 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:48 pm

AngelEddie, this is a difficult question to ask, and answer. However, it is extremely important, to get it right.

I have spent much time getting the slides so they all move up at the same time (same datum position.. using number four carb slide as the base). The trouble is when you mount carbs on the head, you find you have limited or no adjustment for idle. I've given up using the 0.7mm wire and drill bits and use three or four 3/16 inch balls.

I do not know a simple answer to set this up, except to give yourself some (slight) adjustment when your slides are just about to lift from the bottom.

RegardZ.
Last edited by Garn 1 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garn (Sydney) Z1, Z1A, Z1B and Z900-A4

Steve Cooke
ZedHead
ZedHead

#6 PostAuthor: Steve Cooke » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:33 pm

You set it just short of midway prior to setting the slide heights.

DogsbolloxofZ1B
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: DogsbolloxofZ1B » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:37 am

You should set the slide heights using a 0.025" wire and the height you are nominally setting is the notch height in relation the the arc of the carb body. You're not only synchronising the slides but also setting the airflow, hence the vacuum, across the needle and jet at idle. setting it at any other point defeats this second requirement..

Garn 1
ZedHead
ZedHead

#8 PostAuthor: Garn 1 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:26 pm

Dogsbollox, the setting of the slides with a 0.7 mm, 0.025", a 0.5mm drill- bit or a 3/16" ball are all phyical dimensions to have the slides equal, without measuring vacuum. This is only a prelimanary way to set up, prior to having a vacuum gauge or manometer tune, however, it does establish an accurate position to start from and mostly little or no other adjustment is required.

It is the setting of this position, that allows us to know that we are in the "ball-park", before the final vacuum tune, with regards to the range of idle and full throttle. This I believe, is what this question is about!
Other than this measuring technique, I do not know of a way to get the vacuum close to correct, while carbs are off the head! It is always assumed that needles would always be set in the same notch.

RegardZ.
Garn (Sydney) Z1, Z1A, Z1B and Z900-A4

angeleddie
Regular Poster

#9 PostAuthor: angeleddie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:29 pm

Hello Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. It has been very helpful. I seem to have them set now. I guess I wont know until I try to start it which I guess will be in a few mths once I have done everything else, which seems endless!!

Cheers

Angeleddie

Steve Cooke
ZedHead
ZedHead

#10 PostAuthor: Steve Cooke » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:49 am

I agree with Garn1, the setting of the slides at this stage is purely to give a datum and nothing more, I understood the request to be for the position of the throttle stop screw prior to this initial setting of the slides.
Furthermore I don't think it is good practice to use a wire for setting the height as the return spring pressure on the slide against such a small wire can make an impression in the thin bottom rim of the slides, you can often see the result of this by the physical marks in the lower rim of the slides when this has been done, the ball bearings are the better option albeit a bit more fiddly.

DogsbolloxofZ1B
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: DogsbolloxofZ1B » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:09 pm

I don't disagree, but either in this post or another similar someone said use an 8mm drill so set the heights! yes this sets the height but anything larger than a 3/16 drill begins to touch the slide either side of the notch, the notch is what must be set initially and if you do it this way your adjustments with vac gauges will be minimal if indeed required at all.

Return to “Bike Help”