Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

broken cylinder head!!!!! update!

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

bart
Regular Poster

broken cylinder head!!!!! update!

#1 PostAuthor: bart » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:03 pm

Well here's my dilema,as you can see in the following photos i need a repair done to the cylinder head of my z1000a1 i'me rebuilding.
All was going well.
The motor was rebuilt ready to put in the frame,so i descided to lift the motor from the workbench to get ready to put in newly coated frame,well just as i was lowering the motor to the floor it slipped from my hands and fell about a foot onto the concrete garage floor :cry:
The result was a piece broken from the head.
I decided to repair it with metal repair araldite because i had some!!! :lol:
Well i got the motor in the frame,rewired bike,put carbs on etc.Put some petrol in the tank and bike started first time off the starter(bloody amazed!)anyway ran the motor for about five minutes then noticed this crack.Image
So what does anybody recommend as a repair,i know welding would be best but i really dont want to take the head off unless i really have to. :roll:
P.S. I tried using durafix but i cannot get enough heat into the head for it to work.(used a butane blow torch) :) :) :)
Last edited by bart on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:43 pm

Bad Luck mate,you probably wont get enough heat with butane you could try Mapp gas but as you have found is a bugger to get hot enough guy who could help you on this is Marallan one of Mikeys mates in Bristol send him a PM friendly guy who helped me out Cheers Paul j..If all else fails i have an excellent 1000 set of barrels and pistons available....
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

hillbilly
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: hillbilly » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:07 pm

what a shitter,i know how ya feel , :cry: when i was at donnington in may there was a chap with some ali weld type stuff that would maybe fix that,i watched him join alsorts of metals together,and it dint come apart to easy.will try and find the pamphlet i got from him. :wink:
push me shuv you.sez who sez me.
owing p.u.m. (76 z1b)(v reg z1r)

bart
Regular Poster

#4 PostAuthor: bart » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:19 pm

@PAULJAC47,thanks for the reply,ive just been reading the posts maralan did about the ally weld stuff,think a bigger blow torch maybe what i need.
@hillbilly,thanks for reply,was the stuff at donny called jb weld or something like that?

hillbilly
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: hillbilly » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:29 pm

cant be sure what it was called,but it was good stuff,it was like solder,you heated the part to weld,put some stuff on it,heated it and rubbed the joint with something sharp then it kind of melted together.and it was very strong.you could also tap it (thread) :lol: i think he was a german chap.?
push me shuv you.sez who sez me.

owing p.u.m. (76 z1b)(v reg z1r)

PJ
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: PJ » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:34 pm

bart wrote:@PAULJAC47,thanks for the reply,ive just been reading the posts maralan did about the ally weld stuff,think a bigger blow torch maybe what i need.
@hillbilly,thanks for reply,was the stuff at donny called jb weld or something like that?

Hi Bart, I've used JB Weld in the past, if you can clean the repair and use a G clamp overnight to hold it tight, should be a nice temporary repair
WHO NEEDS DRUGS - WHEN YOU HAVE A ZED!!

bart
Regular Poster

#7 PostAuthor: bart » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:45 pm

Ive heard jb welds good,also devcon but i really want a permenant repair,dont fancy beeing miles from nowhere and the glued on piece blowing off :bawl :bawl :bawl
looks like i will have to get some ally wire for the mig welder and some argon!!

Garn 1
ZedHead
ZedHead

#8 PostAuthor: Garn 1 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:21 am

Bart, you know yourself, there is only one way to do it properly. You are going to have to take the head off, the carbs & exhaust, disassemble valve gear and give it to a a reputable alloy welder!

It's a hard call , however in six months time you will be glad you went to the trouble and effort!
RegardZ.
Garn (Sydney) Z1, Z1A, Z1B and Z900-A4

bart
Regular Poster

#9 PostAuthor: bart » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:02 am

Think you are right Garn 1,i suppose ime just trying to put off the innevitable!! :(

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#10 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:06 am

Nick at Griff's Reality Motorcycles in Bristol welded a broken fin back on a spare 1000J head I've got.... Good job, done fast too. Google 'em.
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: mick znone » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:10 am

Bart, its a p;ss;r, but Garn is right. living in the problem is painfull, living in the solution is better, getting it done properly is the solution. hope it goes well mate.
I DONT CARE, IN OR OUT BUT IM ENJOYING THE DEBATE......................ARMSTRONG MT500. a pushbike, waves.....addict, no offence

bart
Regular Poster

#12 PostAuthor: bart » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:41 am

Thanks for all the replies,mick you are right,gonna take the head back off and do the job properly,theres a few engineering firms local to me so will take it to one of them get it welded and get on with finishing the rest of the bike while its getting done,will post some photos when its all finished! :D

StephenW
100Club
100Club

Repair

#13 PostAuthor: StephenW » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:23 pm

Bart
Just had two heads repaired by Len of the cylinder head shop in Surry.
Top man, and there is not a head that he can not repair.
He repaired my missing fins, damaged studds, skimmed the heads, fitted new valve guides and machine cut new valves.
Repaired spark plug threads and vapour blasted.

good luck

StephenW
100Club
100Club

Repair

#14 PostAuthor: StephenW » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:26 pm

bart
Regular Poster

#15 PostAuthor: bart » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:37 pm

Thanks for the link stephen,ive taken the head off now and taken it to a local engineer that was recommended to me by a mate who's had a few bike casings welded up by him,so hopefully should get it back fairly soon,will post photos when i do.Thanks for the replies. :)

Return to “Bike Help”