Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Shit in the tank.....(thats not an order)

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: KeithZ1R, chrisu, paul doran, Taffus

Monk

Shit in the tank.....(thats not an order)

#1 PostAuthor: Monk » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:22 pm

Hi Guys

My Zed is drawing up rusty shit from the float bowls, of course this all starts with a rusty inner petrol tank.

Any sugestions on the best way to re-condition the inside of the petrol tank ?

DAVE LEWIS

#2 PostAuthor: DAVE LEWIS » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:03 am

Hi I have used some good cleaning gear from frost, It seems to do the job ok
http://auto.frost.co.uk/search?w=fuel+tank

Dave L

MaineKZ
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: MaineKZ » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:32 am

Hi Monk

first off gotta says that' the BEST thread title I've seen in a while

There is a good thread on tank cleaning if you do a search, but my preferred method is to remove petcock and seal the mounting hole, then whop in a whole 5l container of brick cleaner - undiluted. Treat this gear with respect - use gloves and goggles - it's hydrochloric acid 16% concentrate.

Best to seal petcock hole and filler neck with rubber bungs - these are available on the net from laboratory suppliers.

Give a good sloosh round - shouldn't take more than 30 mins to remove all rust.
Stick a hose pipe in the filler neck and run clean water through for 5 mins or so, then spray WD40 in QUICKLY to prevent flash rusting!! Allow tank to dry out thoroughly then rinse with clean petrol and you're all set.

dixiethedog
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: dixiethedog » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:00 am

Ive just painted a tank for a friend who gave me a tin of sealer to put in his tank,typically,i threw the tin in the bin on Monday,and the bin got emptied on tuesday,so dont know the name of the stuff! It was only a small tin,silver coloured and in my opinion,a waste of time and space,crap,i just wish i knew the name,so you didnt buy it by mistake. I did put a carrier bag of zinc plated washers in the tank,and shook it like mad to help loosen all the rust inside the tank first though. Probably not much help......I'll get my coat.... :lol:
Every silver lining has a cloud...

Monk

#5 PostAuthor: Monk » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:26 pm

So.....cleaned the inside of me tank by chucking a few stones in there and giving it a good shake with a couple of pints of squirt in.

Repeated this 3 or 4 times till it started coming out clean.

Flushed it through with the hose, then emptied virtualy a full can of wd40 in there and washed it all around so it coated the inside

Cleaned out the fuel tap and the inline fuel filters.

Went for a blat......Horah !
Running lovely.

BUT HERE IS THE LAUGH......as I was putting my stuff (2 bungies, 1 lock thing and a pair of cheap over trousers) back under the seat it suddenly dawned on me that my over trousers were very close the the gapping great hole at the back of the airbox (no noise reduction thing fitted)

I reckon the trousers were blocking the intake at the back of the airbox all along !

Ah well, at least I have a nice clean tank now :oops:

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: tlc » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:28 pm

:lol:
Asphalt Cowboy Z1100R, 1981 Z1000J

Buckle
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: Buckle » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:25 pm

Shit in the tank.....

Don't tell this bloke :shock:

http://www.z1ownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11369
Insert witty comment here.......

debben1
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: debben1 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:13 pm

Hey Monk, hope you remembered to take the stones out again :D

Z1000ELR

#9 PostAuthor: Z1000ELR » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:16 am

I have dropped a magnet into my tank to pick up any loose stuff floating around.........now and again i put injector cleaner in the tank, smokes a bit but does give the jets etc a clean out.

Surfdeneige
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: Surfdeneige » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:27 pm

Some fukin idiot has poured a litre of paint into the tank, presumably to stop it rusting. Several years later I am now left with the problem of removing it all as it stsrts to flake. I have poured a tin of paint stripper into it with limited sucess. Will brick cleaner be any better?
A ken fit like!

MaineKZ
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#11 PostAuthor: MaineKZ » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:39 pm

Surfdeneige wrote:Some fukin idiot has poured a litre of paint into the tank, presumably to stop it rusting. Several years later I am now left with the problem of removing it all as it stsrts to flake. I have poured a tin of paint stripper into it with limited sucess. Will brick cleaner be any better?

Well paints are usually broken down by alkali based solutions - but I've left painted items in brick cleaner and the paint does soften and dislodge - particularly if the underlying steel is rusty and the paint bond is therefore weak.

So give it a go I say - maybe shove some sharp gravel in there too, seal the filler and outlet and give a nice old shake around.

Once again - TAKE CARE WITH ACID!! Agitating the tank will cause pressure to build which you'll need to release CAREFULLY!!! Goggles and gloves at ALL TIMES.

1beelee
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: 1beelee » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:54 pm

I used this on our Z1b tank.It had stood for 18yr with fuel :?: in it.It was a reet mess this 3 stage kit sorted it.
http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp? ... Motorcycle Fuel Tank Repair Kit
Z1b,Z1000r,KR1S,husky wr250 bog surfer
"turned out nice again"

1340fxd
100Club
100Club

#13 PostAuthor: 1340fxd » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:45 pm

I have used POR15 three stage treatment on the Z1000 tank two years ago and it appears to do a brilliant job - messy, yes and critical to follow the instructions. Done the same on my Harley tank last year and again good result and my mate has done his GPZ900. :D

Not sure how long it will last and what to do if it starts falling off - repeat the application I guess.
Dear Santa, please can I have...

Return to “Bike Help”