Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Handlebar switch refurb?

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

coldsummer
Hardcore
Hardcore

Handlebar switch refurb?

#1 PostAuthor: coldsummer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:36 am

Hi all, can anybody point me in the direction of someone who can refurbish my bar switches? They are in good working order but could do with a tidy up as some of the paint has worn off. I had thought about getting some new switches from Z-power as they are quite good value but I'd rather keep the originals if possible as they are only cosmetically challenged. Thanks.

GEZ635
100Club
100Club

#2 PostAuthor: GEZ635 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:21 pm

I have refurbished lots of switches on early z1's and to do a concours job takes time with paint stripping, re-painting, new wiring shrouds etc. Add the labour charge and postage and you are genuinely better off buying new ones especially as they seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper. Alternatively just have a go yourself, they really are not too hard to do.
Gez

coldsummer
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: coldsummer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:31 pm

Thanks Gez. I'm not that confident in my own ability to get a decent finish, but I might give it a go, 'nothing ventured' 'n all that! Guess I could always get some new replica ones for now and do the originals at my own pace...

bunnysZ
Granny Magnet

#4 PostAuthor: bunnysZ » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:50 pm

if its just painting them its quite easy , dig out the paint in the letters with a pin , rub down rest spray black first, then use humbrol paints on the letters and wipe off,
zed the best ride of your life ...... so far

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: mick znone » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:43 pm

ive done some switches myself, why not get a set from zpower, then like you say refurb at your own pace. after you have done, sell the zpower ones on ebay, knowing the way ebay works, you will make money on the zpower ones anyway.
I DONT CARE, IN OR OUT BUT IM ENJOYING THE DEBATE......................ARMSTRONG MT500. a pushbike, waves.....addict, no offence

bigmac103
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: bigmac103 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:16 pm

mick z1a wrote:ive done some switches myself, why not get a set from zpower, then like you say refurb at your own pace. after you have done, sell the zpower ones on ebay, knowing the way ebay works, you will make money on the zpower ones anyway.

Absolutely agree with Mick, I did just that and was quite pleased with the result. I kept the ZPower switches though can't seem to let go of the spares :roll:
Lost in the desert somewhere

tedsonthezed
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: tedsonthezed » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:31 am

Have you looked in the 'Download' section of this site? A very nice article by Steve Thomas about switch refurb.
You want how much?

Ed Z1-R
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: Ed Z1-R » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:52 pm

Refurb wiring wise is easy peasy,just takes time and the satisfaction when its finnished and works :wink:

coldsummer
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: coldsummer » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:12 pm

OK, thanks for the advice. Think I will try my hand at refinishing the myself with the new repro ones as a back-up. Thanks guys, good advice as always.

m1ks
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: m1ks » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:36 pm

Don't know how you've gone with this but if you're still thinking of replacements M&P do some nice and well priced replacement left and right switchgear.
About £30 a side.

coldsummer
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: coldsummer » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:21 pm

m1ks wrote:Don't know how you've gone with this but if you're still thinking of replacements M&P do some nice and well priced replacement left and right switchgear.
About £30 a side.

Thanks. There seems to be a wide range of suppliers for these. Surprising really, I thought it was mainly Z power.

Andy230262
Regular Poster

#12 PostAuthor: Andy230262 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:56 am

You may have already looked at this site. Not sure if they ship worldwide. Some good parts on there.

http://www.americanclassix.com/kawaElectrical.html
Now have a KZ1000 A2. I love it

Return to “Bike Help”