Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Converting Z1000st to chain drive

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

moe

Converting Z1000st to chain drive

#1 PostAuthor: moe » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:57 pm

Not been on here for a while.

I had a rush of blood to the head last week ,and decided it was time to drag the rotting hulk from under a sheet and start to rebuild it.

I then saw a gear cluster for a Z1H for sale on Ebay and ended up buying it. Now this is the fun bit ( or bloody stupid) ! I'm thinking of trying to fit the gear cluster into my ST bottom end . I split the crankcases tonight and found the first problem, output shaft bearing diameter on ST is 62mm approx, H bearing is approx 68mm. I will know dimensions better when I get a new battery for my verniers :oops: It looks like there is enough meat in the crankcase to bore it out to the larger diameter.

I might not be seeing the bigger picture, and I was wondering if any of you more knowledgable folks, could tell me if I'm wasting my time and should just forget the idea ?

As it stands, it only owes me £12 and my time stripping it , so it's no big deal if I can't do it, I just thought it would be different. :lol:

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#2 PostAuthor: paul doran » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:37 am

this conversion has been done before and I understand it's not a huge undertaking
Fer may know as I seem to remember We discussed this one time
way too many Zeds

moe

#3 PostAuthor: moe » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:43 am

That's good to hear, gives me some encouragement. I thought I might just be getting a bit too optimistic .

I've now found another problem :cry: when I removed the crankshaft, I noticed that one of the roller bearing locating pins was loose, looking closer at it there are 2 hairline cracks running from the pin hole and the hole is elongated. Have you seen this before, and what could have caused it ? I can only think that the bearing has tried to seize and it has tried to spin the outer housing of the bearing.

chrisNI
Site Admin

#4 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:16 pm

What direction is the elongation - fore and aft or side to side?

moe

#5 PostAuthor: moe » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:23 am

The elongation is side to side.

Is this a common fault?

Z1RII
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: Z1RII » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:31 pm

i bet it was bearing no. 5 :??

stephen parr
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: stephen parr » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:16 am

Found this had happened to mine. Took it to SEP at Kegworth for welding. They told me that this is usually caused by the use of a slide hammer when trying to remove the rotor. Mine must have been like this for 25yrs [before I got it] as I'd wound a bolt in to remove it. :shock:

Return to “Bike Help”