Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

well, that is much better...

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

02GF74
100Club
100Club

well, that is much better...

#1 PostAuthor: 02GF74 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:50 pm

cleaned the pilot jets - 2 were completely block but poked fine wire and carb cleaner through the others and now it runs far better - from cold can get it to run at 1,000 rpm, unlike before it was 2,000+ rpm or nothing

so thanks for the help.

a strannd from a mountain bike gear cable is just the job!

still not out of the wood yes as need to get the little o-rings - using strips of silicone air line and no leaks.

also the cold start is not moving thorugh its full travel and I can't figure out why. made the mistake of not marking the cam operating levers so supsect that is the cause.

also one needle valve leaking but overall, a hoooooge imporvement.

popsA1
100Club
100Club

#2 PostAuthor: popsA1 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:01 am

try -
http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/o-rings.html for O-rings

The choke lifters often bend. Check that they are all bent the same way.
A2 1979-80. A1 1980-now

02GF74
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: 02GF74 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:18 am

popsA1 wrote:try -
[url]

The choke lifters often bend. Check that they are all bent the same way.

I wondered about that. Also need to check the book if I havre fitted them right way up, pretty sure I have but ...

I sart with one lifter then fit another and antoher and see if I havre full travel, if not, I swap a lifter out and did this until all fitted and had full travel, albeit a little notchy - I could lift about 3/4 of the way, then something would resist and then give way to get full travel.

As I was fitting the lifter, I could see one or two lift the plunger much more than another so would swap them.

Fitted to bike, started engine, then some playing around, the cold start lever only goes 1/4 way up and resists big time WTF?!?!?!

Looks like I need to remove the carbs once again :(

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:03 pm

Make sure the shaft that links the cold start plungers is not bent and they are all dead in line,i had the same prob with my A4,would lift out one at time but not together cheers PaulJ....
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:31 pm

Also check that the screws that hold the lifters are not snagging on the castings ,you may need to move each lifter left or right , i had to on mine .

floydsz1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: floydsz1 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:42 pm

I hadnt used me Z1A for about 3 weeks. got it out couple of weekends ago to go to a rally (won best bike at rally) and my choke lever would only lift about 3/4 way up. Manage to start it but it definatly wasnt on full choke. All was ok last time i used it. Not had a look at it yet. Any more ideas as to why it would go like this while not being used. :?? :?? Its been perfect all year up to now.
Z1b,
zxr750 m2,
zrx1200
Z1000j lawson race bike,
Versys 1000gt (2019),
Gsxr750H.

hillbilly
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: hillbilly » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:52 pm

if you get some carb cleaner spray and try and get it on the plungers that open the choke,keep opening and shutting them it shud lube it up a bit,rebuilt my carbs with same problem,it just them sticking. :wink:
push me shuv you.sez who sez me.
owing p.u.m. (76 z1b)(v reg z1r)

floydsz1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: floydsz1 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:55 pm

Cheers for that.
I thought it probably would be something like that. Ill have a go tomorrow eve. Off to another rally next weekend, hopefully another trophy. manged it same rally last year.
Z1b,
zxr750 m2,
zrx1200
Z1000j lawson race bike,
Versys 1000gt (2019),
Gsxr750H.

02GF74
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: 02GF74 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:01 pm

thnx for suggetions but been through most of that.

plungers are spotless - cleaned them out.

screws are in line but by swapping them round (which is the cause of the
problem I reckon) I can seem some being out of line,

Can't see them catching on the cut outs.

my theroy is that I have them out of poisiton - they settled into their repsective positions in that the rod has indents from the spike screws so I need to get the right lifter in the right spot.

somthing like 24 combinations - eek!!

I can see on the slot that the lever didn't go trough the full range. maybe 3/4 but still much more than it is now.

tome to take the carbs off yet again .... psising me TBH, espacially twatting roundwith the cables....

Return to “Bike Help”