Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Dribbly Head Gasket - Automatic Leather Water Proofing!

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Buckle
100Club
100Club

Dribbly Head Gasket - Automatic Leather Water Proofing!

#1 PostAuthor: Buckle » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:50 pm

After a recent high speed blast (in the **ssing rain on the way back from the last Z1 OC SW meet) the old Z550 developed a rather alarming pair of oil leaks at the head gasket. One each side, right by the oil way up to the cylinder head.

Not that I was complaining at the time as they stopped the water getting through my leathers! Even though they have now developed a distinctive smell of their own, ala 10/W40.

Any road up - I've convinced my self the failure is as a result of using cheap crappy pattern gaskets (maybe :roll: ). So can the collective suggest the best make of replacement, or any handy tricks to permanently seal those pesky oil way "O" rings?

I've used Cometic gaskets in the past on Z1000 motor to good effect but the only ones available for the Z550 seem to come with a 600cc big bore kit ( :twisted: ), which might be a bit much for 72K+ motor! (And the wallet!)

Over to you guys :?:
Insert witty comment here.......

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:13 pm

Buckle,
I would have suggested Cometic, but if they don't do one to fit, then I would look at the price of genuine Kawasaki parts........ You'll even get 10% off at Z-Power.

Return to “Bike Help”