Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1b Front fork reassembly

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

coldsummer
Hardcore
Hardcore

Z1b Front fork reassembly

#1 PostAuthor: coldsummer » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:53 pm

I'm about ready to start putting the forks back together with some new tubes from Z-power and would appreciate some advice as I've not done this before.

1. My clymer manual shows some gaskets for the allen bolts which secure the sliders to the legs and also for the oil drain screws. Are these available from dealers still? Any other suggestions? I can't see them listed on Z-power buy I guess its worth a call as they don't list everything on the site.

2. The Clymer manual again suggests using a Kawasaki workshop tool to hold the damper rod assembly in place when refitting the lower leg bolts. Does anybody know any other method? I used the springs to keep pressure on when I removed them but don't know if I would trust this method on reassembly.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

wilsonsjw11
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: wilsonsjw11 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:09 pm

Simon
Allen bolt and copper washer both available from z-power in a kit and drain screw and fibre washer.When putting this screw into the damper apply some silicon to the copper washer.
If you have'nt got the right tool to stop the damper from turning jamb down a hard wood stick and it will stop it from turning,used this method last weekend on my 73 forks.If you get stuck just call.
Regards
Steve

coldsummer
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: coldsummer » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:27 pm

wilsonsjw11 wrote:Simon
Allen bolt and copper washer both available from z-power in a kit and drain screw and fibre washer.When putting this screw into the damper apply some silicon to the copper washer.
If you have'nt got the right tool to stop the damper from turning jamb down a hard wood stick and it will stop it from turning,used this method last weekend on my 73 forks.If you get stuck just call.
Regards
Steve

Thanks Steve.

mikey
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: mikey » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:28 pm

Agree with steve there i use a sharpened broom handle :shock:
Works everytime
Making the world a shiny place with a factory finish

steve.w
Custard Cream