Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Clattering sound

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Robw
ZedHead
ZedHead

Clattering sound

#1 PostAuthor: Robw » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:44 am

Hi, I am getting a clattering sound on start up, the oil px light goes out straight away and it runs fine. I have a manual cam chain tensioner fitted.
Any clues.
Cheers Rob
Z1000R/ZRX, RD 125LC, Zx7r , Endurance racer, gpz1100b1

hillbilly
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: hillbilly » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:03 am

just give it a mini service,maybe camchain a bit loose,check your lock nut on your tensioner.maybe come loose.
push me shuv you.sez who sez me.
owing p.u.m. (76 z1b)(v reg z1r)

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:04 am

Best to have a look at your cam chain! too late if its loose and jumps Paul J...
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

FER
Auld Heedyun

#4 PostAuthor: FER » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:09 am

Starter clutch ???

fer

GEZ635
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: GEZ635 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:53 am

If it is not the starter clutch,cam chain etc it could be the clutch basket springs?Does it go away when you pull the clutch in?
Gez

m1ks
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: m1ks » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:09 pm

Get a longish stick / screwdriver and use it as a sounding stick to try and source the location of the rattle.

Place it on the engine at appropriate points and your ear to the other end, it's surprising how much info you can get this way.

You'll be able to find if it bottom end / clutch / top end / tensioner area etc and have more idea which area to attack.

Is it only when the bike starts, on the button or when it's running, does it go away immediately on running or does it take a few moments until it's started to warm?
You know you're getting old when you stop laughing at nasal hair trimmer adverts and start thinking, hmmmm.... you know, that looks useful!

Robw
ZedHead
ZedHead

#7 PostAuthor: Robw » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:53 pm

Thanks for the help so far, it seems to go away straight after it has started, I think it is worse if started on the side stand, although I do try and start it upright.
Rob
Z1000R/ZRX, RD 125LC, Zx7r , Endurance racer, gpz1100b1

phil churchett
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: phil churchett » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:25 pm

Loose rotor?
Four pipes rule, anything else is second best.

Rich
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Rich » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:17 pm

cam bearings worn
Rich
diplomacy is a form of art - I was never any good at art

m1ks
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: m1ks » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:44 pm

If it's only on start up try starting with the kickstart if you have one, failing that try a bump start, if this results in no noise on start then it's related to your starter motor.
You know you're getting old when you stop laughing at nasal hair trimmer adverts and start thinking, hmmmm.... you know, that looks useful!

Alexander
Regular Poster

#11 PostAuthor: Alexander » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:17 am

Hi Rob,
This is probably not the same problem but you never know. When I first purchased my Zed it had a “Knocky Camâ€￾, on startup it would knock with a sort of steady clang, obvious metallic knocking noise but would slowly quiet down and after a minute or so it would completely disappear. I was told it was nothing to worry about as this was a common Zed problem (still worried me plenty at the time though) and I have only came across one other zed with same problem, a friend’s Z1000 A2. The noise came and went over the first few years of ownership, sometimes if I lent the bike to one side it would disappear. Eventually (5 years later) I required a top end rebuild due to broken cam chain guide remnants of which I discovered in the sump when carrying out an oil change. I replaced all the cam chain running gear, chain and tensioner etc and for some reason my knocky cam noise disappeared. You don’t say how long this noise continues after initial start up which would help in the diagnosis. As I said probably not related to your problem but without hearing it directly all any of us can do is share some of our own experiences, carrying out the process of elimination is probably how many of us investigate such issues and when there is no other option is only logical. I am sure I do not have to suggest that you should start with the simplest things to check, inexpensive and least obtrusive. As suggested already by other members starting with a service checking all adjustments would be a good place to start, also the piece of wood on your ear and to the cam cover will definitely allow you to clearly hear a knocking cam, I am not sure how else you would go about confirming a knocky cam other than letting someone else who would know hear it, you could try leaning the bike to one side and the other on start up and if the noise quietens or completely goes away then this would be a good indicator of cam knocking, but this did not always make mine stop knocking, just sometimes. However please do not assume this is the issue and ignore the problem without confirmation, just incase the problem lies elswhere and is need of immediate fixing. As I said it would come and go.
Good luck, Alex.

Return to “Bike Help”