Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

radial/crossply tyre - I am confused???? :(

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

02GF74
100Club
100Club

radial/crossply tyre - I am confused???? :(

#1 PostAuthor: 02GF74 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:23 pm

Z1000 A1.

I have Metrzler front tyre I want to replcae.

Rear is Pirelli Match MT08 that is as good as new and ideally I want to match that tyre - seems a good idea.

sadly the MT08 is no longer made and Pirelli have no recommendation about replacement.

peeps on here recommending BT45 but that is crossply.

does that matter? i.e. what difference will it make if rear is corrsply or radial and I fit the BT45?

I have no idea what construciton the rear is; and would prefer not to replace that.

TA.

m1ks
100Club
100Club

#2 PostAuthor: m1ks » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:43 pm

Heres an excerpt from a useful site called FWR.co.uk, have a look through their FAQ.

Can I mix tyres?
Usually yes. On the road it's illegal to put a crossply on the back with a radial on the front, but not the other way round. The speed rating should also be enough for the bike's maximum speed, not the speed you normally ride it at. Other than that the law has nothing to say on the subject.
However your bike has been developed with specific tyres. Some bikes are more sensitive to different tyres than others, the ST1300 being a case in point. The main problem with mixing brands of tyre is that you're on your own. The manufacturers obviously can't test every combination of tyre on every bike, so you are the test rider. Your bike will definitely handle best with a new set of matched tyres approved for that bike. In the real world this isn't always practical, and nothing terrible is going to happen if you fit for example a Michelin rear with a Dunlop front. However if you have a newish sportsbike, you've spent a lot of money on a great handling bike, why blunt it by ftting worn mismatched tyres? This goes double for fitting racer's castoffs, most bikes feel terrible with these fitted.These days tyres are designed to wear out in pairs, the fronts generally having much softer rubber than the rears, so the old trick of fitting a sports front and a sporttouring rear isn't really necessary anymore.

Finally, remember that modern tyres are fantastic things, with more grip than you think, whatever type you have fitted. If you're in a corner too hot and you think you won't make it, don't stand the bike up and run into something solid Just lean it over some more, your tyres will grip and you'll almost certainly get round OK.
You know you're getting old when you stop laughing at nasal hair trimmer adverts and start thinking, hmmmm.... you know, that looks useful!

m1ks
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: m1ks » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:02 pm

I think the MT08 is a bias ply BTW. (cross ply)

http://www.etyres.co.uk/consumer-information/motorcycle-tyres-tips.htm

Useful about page.
You know you're getting old when you stop laughing at nasal hair trimmer adverts and start thinking, hmmmm.... you know, that looks useful!

bigmac103
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: bigmac103 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:29 pm

What about the age of the tyre? I bought a Z1 last year, I didn't know the history but the tyres looked good, by this I meant lots of tread. After about 10 months of low usage I checked the tyres and found that the rear had started to come apart. Still lots of tread but the rubber was separating from the ply. Could this be put down to age? The tyre was an Avon Roadrunner, obviously I replaced both immediately but didn't realise tyres could fall apart like this! I suppose the tyres could of been on the bike for 20 years or more after all the ol' girl is 35 years old.
Lost in the desert somewhere

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#5 PostAuthor: Pigford » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:42 pm

There is a way of checking the codes on them for the age.

All tyres will degrade with age - especially in sunlight (no so relevant in the UK)..... and go hard :??

In the scheme of things, a £100 odd for a new set is not a great deal to keep the bike upright and enjoy :wink:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

applesz1
Regular Poster

#6 PostAuthor: applesz1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:11 am

I agree with Pigford When in doubt put on new tyres.

You only have one life. Good tyres and a good helmet are cheap insurance.

If you have a $2 head fit cheap tyres and buy one of those cheap crap helmets Harley Riders wear. My head is rough but very valuable to me.

Buy 2 new tyres. Beside the piece of mind you get there is no better feeling than pushing your bike through a good set of twisties with new tyres. (Of course that is after you have put a few k's on them to get rid of the slippery rubber preservative)
Stay upright and enjoy the ride.

bigmac103
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: bigmac103 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:11 am

My point wasn´t about penny pinching! It was about old tyres. And I certainly wouldn´t ride arround with a potty stuck on me bonce!!! When I bought this bike I thought it had descent tyres! I was also told these tyre were good. But you know what it´s like, people will say anything to get you to buy something!!!

Pigford actually has a good point about the sun. This bike was out in the sun quite a bit last year and it was very hot, 5 months uninterupted sunshine. This also echos what the Spanish tyre man was saying about Metzeler´s were good for this climate. Or was he guilty of saying anything just sell tyres :shock:
Lost in the desert somewhere

Big Fluff
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: radial/crossply tyre - I am confused???? :(

#8 PostAuthor: Big Fluff » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:23 pm

02GF74 wrote:Z1000 A1.

I have Metrzler front tyre I want to replcae.

Rear is Pirelli Match MT08 that is as good as new and ideally I want to match that tyre - seems a good idea.

sadly the MT08 is no longer made and Pirelli have no recommendation about replacement.

peeps on here recommending BT45 but that is crossply.

does that matter? i.e. what difference will it make if rear is corrsply or radial and I fit the BT45?

I have no idea what construciton the rear is; and would prefer not to replace that.

TA.

Try the Pirelli Demon Sport 100/90/19. This should compliment your Pirelli MT08 fine as they are BOTH cross ply structure.

Alternatively, fit a pair of Pirelli Demon Sport tyres.
They are very affordable and give excellent grip and wear rates.
I use these on my Saxon and that's kicking out some real grunt.!
Kawasaki GPz750T, Kawasaki ZRX1100R, Kawasaki GPZ1000RX, H**** VF1000RG Rothmans, H**** VF500F2F, H**** CB1100RD, Suzuki GSX1100EFE, H**** XL125K2

02GF74
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: 02GF74 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:29 pm

..... thanks for replies so far.

been to ye olde m/c shoppe and sport demons is what the man said for pirelli, but then it was only pirelli in 120/90V19 size, hmmm.

cost, inc fitting is about £ 105 - ouch!!

oh well......

Return to “Bike Help”