Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Mystery in exhaust ports - Cylinder head

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

kiwiz
100Club
100Club

#1 PostAuthor: kiwiz » Tue May 23, 2006 12:42 am

In the process of lapping in the exhaust valves on the head of my Z1000J I have noticed that each port has a small cast tunnel which starts near the exhaust guide and runs vertically up to be blanked off by the cam cover. These tunnels do not seem to be joined and do not seem to serve any purpose on my machine at least. Has anyone got any idea of their function?

Iain marshall
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#2 PostAuthor: Iain marshall » Tue May 23, 2006 5:32 pm

the ports your on about are part of an emission control system fitted for some markets,basically if fitted the cam cover has reed valves fitted which allow air to be drawn from the air box through a control valve under certain conditions to allow the gasses in the exhaust to continue burning and reduce emissions,you can see reed valve type in the bottom diagram,i fitted a standard cam cover on my GPZ and removed control valve etc,hope this helps

kiwiz
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: kiwiz » Wed May 24, 2006 12:45 am

As I don't have any reed valves on my 1000J I won't worry about it then. Thanks for the advice

Return to “Bike Help”