Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Upside down front ends

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

z1bnackerkwacker
100Club
100Club

#1 PostAuthor: z1bnackerkwacker » Tue May 23, 2006 6:20 pm

Purists look away now...You are liable to suffer heart failure..
Anyone out there fitted upside down front end to Z1b ?.
Like to know best/worst for job.Prefer bike to be level or slightly lower without having to drop in yokes.Seen some tall at front, don't like.What are mods/machining needed to yoke/tube/headset,Dimensions, e.t.c...Or is there something out there that will fit ? (doubt it)..Have my eye on R30 White powers..Any one know or can point me in direction of previous thread if it's been discussed, Thanks.

(Edited by z1bnackerkwacker at 7:22 pm on May 23, 2006)

Steve R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#2 PostAuthor: Steve R » Tue May 23, 2006 7:17 pm

Have a look at Klasmo web site link from links page I think they do some yokes etc. They seem to be well into modified stuff. Agree with you about some looking too tall atfront.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#3 PostAuthor: Pigford » Tue May 23, 2006 7:17 pm

This wot u mean???? My Z1000A2
One-off yokes.... not cheap!!!! The only way to go tho!

(Edited by Pigford at 8:18 pm on May 23, 2006)

Rickman CR
Regular Poster

#4 PostAuthor: Rickman CR » Tue May 23, 2006 8:19 pm

Pigford

It might make a good magazine article to report not only on the methods of altering the running gear on your bike but providing an objective view on how this improves the handling. key word being objective or truthfull. Maybe take a lot of honesty particularly if it doesnt do much to the handling characteristics especially if an owner has invested and spent a lot of time on the bike. I'm not saying your bike doesnt benefit from the mod just wondering by how much. Interesting though I'm sure others would agree.

No doubt it would stiffen the front end up but overall does it improve the way it corners? Same for all the various modifications out there.

Mono-shocked Zeds (see pics german link web sites) always seem to lengthen the wheel base which usually results in slower steering I think. Looks impressive parked up but can the altered bike boogie down the owners favourite scratchers course?

Is that a zx9r set of forks and wheels on yours?

z1bnackerkwacker
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: z1bnackerkwacker » Tue May 23, 2006 8:50 pm

Looks only, 4 me mate, I was into corners when I was flying round Donnington on me RR2...(while on suspension subject, I don't like the mono back ends).

(Edited by chris at 1:52 pm on May 24, 2006)

z1bnackerkwacker
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: z1bnackerkwacker » Tue May 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Almost, seen that one b4 (somewhere???), End of swinging arm seems long (from spindle), is it pic' or are they available shorter, I like unbraced, like yours.

(Edited by chris at 1:51 pm on May 24, 2006)

z1bnackerkwacker
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: z1bnackerkwacker » Tue May 23, 2006 8:58 pm

ONE OFF YOKES IT IS THEN....

(Edited by chris at 1:52 pm on May 24, 2006)

Rich
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: Rich » Tue May 23, 2006 9:18 pm

Or get yourself a new steering stem made and pressed into the forks' yokes, although most modern bikes come with less offset then Zs.

chrisNI
Site Admin

#9 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Wed May 24, 2006 9:04 am

rickman CRR
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#10 PostAuthor: rickman CRR » Wed May 24, 2006 12:11 pm

As the previous 2002 thread from Rob A suggests, too steep an angle and it turns in too quickly and makes for instability problems in a straight line probably. The off set custom yolks seem the best option, if they've been tried and tested. The Streetfighter ethos is good and impressive, but only if the mods work and represents an actual improvement. Otherwise why bother? Still think a wee magazine feature on these types of mods would be a good read. Maybe its been done before? Chris, any views?

z1bnackerkwacker
100Club
100Club

#11 PostAuthor: z1bnackerkwacker » Wed May 24, 2006 4:52 pm

Quote: from rickman CRR on 1:11 pm on May 24, 2006
As the previous 2002 thread from Rob A suggests, too steep an angle and it turns in too quickly and makes for instability problems in a straight line probably. The off set custom yolks seem the best option, if they've been tried and tested. The Streetfighter ethos is good and impressive, but only if the mods work and represents an actual improvement. Otherwise why bother? Still think a wee magazine feature on these types of mods would be a good read. Maybe its been done before? Chris, any views?
All points noted & hoarded, Thanx....Forgot to mention I plan to use Borani/Akront type rims with s/s spokes, so t/disk hub suggestions would be of help, will be scanning sites mentioned already for ideas.

Big John
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#12 PostAuthor: Big John » Wed May 24, 2006 5:05 pm

If you use the CCM R30 forks they,ll need to be uprated as my R30 dived like the Titanic when I hit the brakes.

z1bnackerkwacker
100Club
100Club

#13 PostAuthor: z1bnackerkwacker » Wed May 24, 2006 5:53 pm

Quote: from Big John on 6:05 pm on May 24, 2006
If you use the CCM R30 forks they,ll need to be uprated as my R30 dived like the Titanic when I hit the brakes.
Was your problem whilst fitted to R30 or something else ?...As you probably know Those White Powers have pretty Much every Ajustment possible,(multi, re-bound, compression and pre-load) had mine set quite solid, nothing could live with it through twisties think they should be more than capable with weight, only got rid of it coz of it's appetite for Dragon corsa'(less than 600 miles and my last one was toast) and not the same bike with harder compound,I was more concerned about length, just being lazy, I will get round to looking at right stanchion options, one day....Thanx to everyone keep ideas coming.....P.s....How big, is big John, i'm 12 stone (serious ??)..

Big John
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#14 PostAuthor: Big John » Thu May 25, 2006 7:36 pm

I have to admit to being 16 stone but then a ZED weighs a good bit more than a R30. When I said uprate the forks I'd say thicker fork oil may suffice.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#15 PostAuthor: Pigford » Thu May 25, 2006 8:27 pm

Well Gents..... Several points...
Yes... the slow steering wanders a bit... seems to track a bit causing a very mild weaving sensation below 20mph... nothing serious, just mildly annoying until you get used to it, after a weekends riding! The JMC swingarm with the spindle on shortest setting matched with the front end give an identical wheelbase to standard!!! More by chance than judgement. The yokes are set so they drop the forks 50mm but with the 17" wheel the front end is still a tad too low. The setup is good old GSXR 750 kit!!!! Its from a mid 90's bike.... My Gixxer Streetfighter has earlier model USD forks (1990 L model) which are about 50mm longer! I might try them instead to see the difference? The frame has been braced but its still a Zed and weaves in bends a bit 60mph+
The main thing is it looks good.... as a modified Zed!

Return to “Bike Help”