Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Anyone install tapered bearings?

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

ash
100Club
100Club

#16 PostAuthor: ash » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:39 pm

O Fer your so kind, but im not having you shuve ye finger up my arse to remove it :biggrin:

KenC

#17 PostAuthor: KenC » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:15 am

So I may have messed up. I installed everything and it all went well. I am supposed to put the 2 rubber seals and the flat washer back on the bottom? I left them out, doh!

Bruce Sexton

#18 PostAuthor: Bruce Sexton » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:25 am

Ash, drinking kills brain cells by the thousands but they can regenerate. Fer's fingers may stop this process happening but it wont stop him sucking his thumb.
As for the others, if you split them up then they wont have a cell between them.

Bruce

Garn 1
ZedHead
ZedHead

#19 PostAuthor: Garn 1 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:54 am

KenC, we are only talking about one rubber seal, however, it's a duplex, meaning it is the one seal acting in both directions the shim washer holds the seal in from the bottom, hence it goes on first. It is quite easy to remove the bottom bearing with two screw drivers.
Regardz.

tpr
Regular Poster

#20 PostAuthor: tpr » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:03 pm

Just removed old bearing races and installed new tapered bearing cups without too much trouble, but, does anyone have a tip on how to remove the oil seal, washer and cone from the steering stem? Mine have probably been there for 30 years and seem to be baked on.
Thanks

Steve R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#21 PostAuthor: Steve R » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:52 pm

Big screw driver grind to a sharp wedge at end then bash it in so wedge forces bearing up slightly then you can get purchase on it with screwdriver and using hammer bash it off, hard taps moving screw driver between each tap to opposite side to keep it as square as possible.
Sounds crude but works.
Garn I did not think you put shim washer on with taper bearings, I put bearing on untill it seated then just stretched rubber washer over it.

Garn 1
ZedHead
ZedHead

#22 PostAuthor: Garn 1 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:37 am

Steve R, That oil seal and shim do go on before the bottom bearing. The shim merely holds the duplex seal from hanging down. However, if you have got it all assembled without the shim it will survive! (Although it's call a seal its really just a dust cover)
RegardZ

Return to “Bike Help”